There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Sunday, November 26, 2006

The B I G move and the reward.

In 1998 my husband and I made the big move from California to the Beautiful Inland Northwest. After moving, I landed the best job in the whole wide world..at the Library. Below is my farewell letter after I resigned last year. Were it not for an automoblie accident that almost killed my husband and injured me (an elderly driver crossed the center line and hit us in an off set front end crash) I would still be there. I have edited out names but put some comments in blue next to others....it is a long story.

In the beginning, in the olden days of 1989, there were 16 acres of beautiful forest in the peaceful Selle Valley in Sandpoint, Idaho. By early 1990 there was a cement foundation on the acreage and by summer, there was a 3600 square foot building that was mostly shop and storage but also with a two room, 600 square foot apartment on the second floor.

A building site for a real home was chosen, the ground cleared and power established…..but the house would have to wait until retirement.

Over the years, lengthy visits were made in April and October. For flavor an occasional summer vacation with the blended family was thrown in and a few Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays too. Sandpoint in the winter was beautiful and the time spent with frozen pipes, a dry well, and trips into the ditch were fun and novel!

Easter of 1998 was the turning point. The California real estate market was heating up and it was time; time to get out of “Dodge” and make the bold move to Sandpoint and make the quaint, quiet, undiscovered town home. I was the epitome of the phrase “burned out.” No more sleeping with a beeper, no more taking call, working weekends, no more screaming, error prone physician bosses. Yep, I was ready for Sandpoint.

The house sold in a week, closed in 60 days and we hit the road in a 29 foot motor home with two dogs, four cats, and my mother’s antique vases for the last big adventure of our lives!

The moving van arrived in Sandpoint three weeks late and a few packed boxes were never to be found, but we were nesting and loving everything Sandpoint! We loved the rock roads, the thunderstorms, clean air, the forest ferns, riding bikes, feeding the Bambis, squirrels, and birds and were delighted when two adorable bears arrived to demolish all of the bird feeders. We took $289.00 worth of pictures that first summer in Sandpoint and I framed and displayed the ones of our wildlife like they were my children.

Winter arrived with a skiff of snow on the 4th of November 1998. I had learned a new word…skiff…I let it roll over my tongue and used it like I was a local! The red snow shovel was cute and I could fling flakes with the best men on the road! I started a weather journal and faithfully documented the temperatures, snow fall, and the minutia of weather change. And I read from my book collection.

I had taken over another 600 square feet of the upstairs storage and turned it into a real bedroom and a dining room. I stenciled on every open wall space and when I had finished with that, I moved pictures so I could stencil more. I felt adventuresome and drove to Ben Franklin’s and bought every plaster miniature house they had in stock and 50 bottles of craft paint. I painted enough miniature houses to establish a community. And I read from my book collection.

Spring finally arrived and the word mud took on new meaning. But there was some sun and no damn snow falling. Spring, summer and fall were alive!!! I would survive Sandpoint after all.

But God can play funny games sometimes and he does with me…he brought my second winter with the same snow as the previous year plus a few feet more. You know the joke about the man that eventually hates the white stuff and puts a hit out on the snow plow driver…that was me. Steve was traveling; I spent a lot of that winter alone talking to the dogs and cats and painted even more plaster houses. And I read from my book collection.

Winter 2000 arrived and Sandpoint looked like a snow globe. Sweet little round circles of snow fell, then it rained, then it snowed, then it rained, then the rain froze. You know the drill. The retirement home idea had been abandoned. We just added on to the apartment…we added laterally, and down and instead of a stenciled, painted plaster house decorated apartment, we had a 7200 square foot stenciled behemoth! I had to do something to keep busy. Winter was getting longer by the hour. I had to have a plan…..and what I knew best was working 24/7.

Nursing was quickly eliminated after one interview. There they were; the same requirements of a beeper and on call. I signed up for job service and what should show up but a listing for the Library.

I had nothing to lose but my sanity so I went in and picked up an application. Realizing that the Craig guy that would eventually receive the application packet would take one look at my experience and wonder if I really was insane, I had to make my cover letter pretty attention getting. I told the truth…Nursing was my profession; reading and books were my passion.

The rest is history with all of you. I have loved every minute, good and bad, at the Library. I have been surrounded by wonderful people as co workers and patrons. I will never forget all of the fun times I have had, the opportunity I was given to learn at my ripe old age and be surrounded by so many glorious books.

I want to share with all of you some of what I have learned, observed, pondered, felt and decided:

Sometimes coming in second can mean you won after all.
(I was second choice for the position after the first candidate turned it down)

I can wear the same jeans for three days in a row and no one would notice.

All of you “get” my T Shirts!

I will forever remember the name of the first patron that made me cry.

I have only worn mascara to work once and no one noticed……applying mascara is a waste of time.

What would happen if the Library closed 5 minutes early?

I STILL managed to work for someone that made mistakes…. but he is a nice man and doesn’t yell!

You all like my curly hair and I wish I could give it away! Amazing.

Squirrels are our friends.

I think the trustees are all politicians in training.
(In October of this year I was appointed to a vacant Trustee position. I will have to run for office in May '07, but for now I am having the time of my life! I have no political ambitions.)

I REALLY know my decimals but still can’t remember all of my times tables.

I may have chosen the wrong profession.
(Meaning Library Science instead of Nursing.)

I won’t work long enough at the Library to know everything the folks at the info desk know.

Working at the Library did not curb my book purchases.

My pets are my inspiration.

Is it still 2002 at the Clark Fork branch?
(Our beautiful really rural branch.)

Fiction rules!!!!

Reading fiction is relaxing, inspirational, an escape, and promotes daydreaming!

The Library saved a lot of kids from not knowing.

After the exposure to kids at the Library I know that my children really were angels.

I bet people wish they could shake like dogs. I know it would make me feel better.

Violet is my dog persona. Drake is my cat persona

I still secretly think the bears are cute.

My favorite CD is NOT by Jackson Browne.

Sometimes I wish Steve was Jackson Browne.

Friendship can bridge several generations.

My friend Molly is a beacon when it is dark.

I will miss all of you more than I can express.










3 comments:

celerman said...

have you ever felt that there is something strabge going on. That conincidences are so coincidental they must be more than coincidence. Deb left a book open for me to read: she felt the quotation described me. Then I read this and there is another comment that draws attention to daydreams and reading at the same time.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"

T.E. Lawrence.

gina said...

Rosemary! I love the new look! And look at you with all the links and stuff! Awesome! I'm impressed!

gina said...

And you know I cried when I read that letter aloud to the staff as you requested. You rat! We miss you, but we're so happy to have you back as a trustee and volunteer! You rock, lady!