There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Sunday, November 26, 2006

Kathy

This entry in the "Dolly Tea Party" did win second place....almost every other entrant in both of these contests were kids....girls and boys....so I was duly embarrassed when my name was announced but I did keep the word count down. I miss Kathy too.

PS Every doll I ever had was named either Sandy or Kathy.


I knew something special was coming. It was Christmas 1952, my mother was sewing like crazy in the bedroom and I couldn’t go into the room. I loved surprises, but this year was different. I wanted to know what Mom was making and I wanted to know right now.

I peeked. I found them. Stacks and stacks of dolly clothes. I felt good and bad all at the same time. I was getting a new dolly.

Christmas morning, there she was; Kathy with red hair, in a bride dress, my dolly. Next to her was a blue trunk, a dolly sized trunk and when I opened it, there were all of the beautiful clothes my mother had made; dresses, PJ’s, a cape, a coat.

2006. Kathy is gone, but the trunk and all of those beautiful clothes are in the attic where every year around Christmas…..I peek all over again.

No comments: