There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Sunday, January 07, 2007

Random Sunday thoughts #5

I feel like I have neglected my blog. I have taken time to read my favorites.....but then all of the blogs I read are my favorites. I finished the dinning room; it was a lot tougher than I thought. Usually when I do something to the house......and I am always doing something....I am unhappy with the results. Remember a long time ago when I blogged about the horrible living room paint color/texture disaster and the bathroom color mess? Well, I love the dinning room results.

When we moved up here full time in 1998, we lived in the upstairs of the building and the addition was only a twinkle in my eye. I focused all of my attention to decorating the apartment. I stenciled, painted and wall papered my heart out. The dinning room was originally going to have a blue tiny, tiny floral paper...I was overruled by Steve who has no decorating sense (like I have tons, right) and my proof is he still complains about the chrome star burst lamp of his I sold at a yard sale that he thought was a masterpiece. So, he picked out a cream, floral, scroll, looked like wedding wrapping paper wall paper. I gave in because he acted like he really, really liked it. It looked just like wrapping paper on the wall and I hated it. I also managed to totally mis match the first two pieces I put up and didn't care enough to re-do it which says it all about how I felt about the paper.

With Steve on the road for 9 days I needed a big project and the dinning room re-do was it!

The paper came off pretty well.....as well as the orange peal finish on the wall. The green paint color was mixed to match the green paint that I used in the bedroom but of course it doesn't. I picked out a muted green vertical stripe paper that does not match the paint but so what! The paint wouldn't stick to one wall when I used the roller so I had to use a brush on that wall...no biggie just took me two days to get the painting done and half way through the brush painting I remembered why I papered that particular wall....the white paint I had planned to paint the wall in '99 wouldn't stick. I promised myself I would take my time and paper over two days, but of course once I started I had to get it done and I had the stereo on full blast playing Los Lonely Boys so I was pumped. I usually really mess up the trimming, but the top trimmed beautifully and I took off the floor molding so no trim problem there. I did screw up the window trimming badly, but hung curtains that cover most of the mess.

In the end the room looks lovely. I have a lot of my mom's antiques in that room, dark wood, all of my violet tea sets, violet vases, violet everything and lacy curtains......I am just really loving the dinning room! A first!!!!

More damn snow and the friggin plow driver had the nerve to wave at me as I was out with the thrower covered in blowing snow AND he left a berm that looks like the Great Wall of China...ass. No use in calling and complaining because as I said before he will get back at me....bigger ass.

I must admit I can manage the snow without Steve...my patterns aren't as pretty as the ones he makes with the slut (tractor) but the walk behind does the job as long as the snow is a foot or less. The trick is to get out before it even thinks about warming up or I am screwed. If the snow gets slushy then it comes out of the chute looking like white tootsie rolls and plops straight down....makes a real mess. Yesterday I tried to clean up the snow left by the ass in front of the mail and paper boxes and I did to a degree. I also managed to pack the paper boxes with snow that I had to use a screwdriver to get out. I put the thrower on 6...second to the highest speed...so I could get myself back to the drive faster as I wasn't throwing anymore...but it was icy on the road and I slid and ended up looking like I was flapping in the wind behind the thrower I am sure. I am too old to worry about what I look like anymore in any situation so I bet the guy that was driving way to fast in his big dually truck that whizzed past me got a good laugh. You know what I said to him loud and clear....slow down of course.

Sophie still has 9 of the 10 green nail thingies in place. She managed to chew off one on her dew claw on the right paw....scared the crap out of me when I saw it laying in our bed...and speaking of our bed, Steve gets fitted for his CPAP mask and machine on Wednesday. For at least 5 years I have had to go into another room to get any sleep. We start off in bed together but Steve falls asleep immediately and the snoring starts within seconds. He did a sleep study last month and I had to laugh when the report said his snoring was at a level 4 on a 10 max scale...Ha! the stupid machine was WRONG! Add to that he has periods of non breathing that can last up to 32 seconds and yes I have timed them. Anyway, I can't sleep with him for more than 2 hours before I have to get up or strangle him. I know it isn't his fault and it hurts him when he wakes up alone...but the analogy I tried to give him was...let me tap you gently on the forehead all night long and let's see how long before you want to kill me. So, we may be able to sleep together again! The main benefit though is he will finally get a good night's sleep. He is a great napper, can't sit at his work computer for more than a few hours before he gets sleepy then he eats a snack to perk himself up which actually makes him sleepier.....visious cycle.

My digital camera is on the fritz...has some little red light that shows up everytime I try to take a picture...and I can't find the book for the damn thing. As soon as I either fix it or find the book I will post pics of Christmas (maybe by Easter) and the dinning room walls.

The water softener is fixed. No more orange hair, t-shirts, tubs/showers...no more orange anything.

I now have over 1100 songs in my iPOD. I love it, it is fun, I get my work done faster and it doesn't seem so much like a chore.....just love it.

Can someone tell me how to have my archives show monthly for 2006? At the moment they are all globbed into one 70 mile long blog.

Thanks to all of you that visit and leave comments....makes me feel enjoyed, loved and necessary.

3 comments:

kenju said...

I would go absolutely crazy to have to deal with snow like that! I would have to move south fairly quickly. How do you deal?

I hate my dining room. I had it painted several years ago, but I had to choose the paint color quickly because the first color I selected was no longer available. I hated the one I chose, but by the time I realized it, it was too late to change it (all the woodwork and windows were done too). I wanted sage green, but ended up with cantaloupe (my daughter calls it pepto-bismol pink.) I wanted to glaze it, to tone down the color a little, but I have never gotten around to it...LOL

rhea_becker said...

I really like painting. It makes a room feel completely new. Right now, I am helping a friend do her living room. It is green, almost the color of the background of your blog.
Rhea
The Boomer Chronicles

gina said...

I see you figured out the whole archive display thing. :) As for the snowplow...well, you know how I feel about that whole issue. Get a Honda snowblower. It throws even slush so far you won't believe it. They are THE BEST snowblowers, bar none.

See you tonight!