There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Saturday, March 10, 2007

Ahhh, Saturday



Steve is home and all is right in the world. He has more trips....every week for the rest of the month....but this last one was the longest.


I have taken on a really simple at home volunteer computer project for the Library and that will help keep me busy while he is gone.....and out of the blog bars a bit. Funny how just a few months ago I was at my wits end trying to keep busy while Steve was traveling and now....I blog. Wonderful. It can be a bit O/C however....but it does keep me off the streets!

The picture above is of a Pileated Woodpecker. When I went out with the dogs this morning there was one on the big Ponderosa Pine where the suet is hanging. These birds are absolutely, positively magnificent. The have a really distinctive caw and this one announced himself loudly as I approached the tree. They are large birds, with a slash of brilliant red on their head and a wingspan that I have only seen on our local crows. They also like carpenter ants which we have a ton of in the summer....so stick around wonderful bird, I have work for you to do.

After yesterday's post I thought I must provide proof positive that Spring will in fact arrive this year......see this...see it? That is ice melting back from the cement on the east side showing our gravel drive that I guarantee will have weeds along the edge by June! I promise.

3 comments:

kenju said...

Funny; I just came from another blog (in Texas) that has photos of a woodpecker.


There's one really good thing about blogging - it is generally free!

Sandy said...

Went outside to catch up on some reading and almost fell asleep in the warm sun - in the 80's here. I'm saving your ice picture for tomorrow when they say it will be in the 90's. Glad Steve's home -I can almost hear your sigh of contentment. Beautiful birds, ice melting, Steve home - yep, life is good.

Ex-Shammickite said...

There was a spotted woodpecker in my pine tree yesterday, not as big as the plieated. I only caught a short glimpse of him before he trotted round to the other side of the tree, out of view.