There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Wednesday, April 04, 2007

I love this kid beyond words

I wasn't going to be able to post today, but was having withdrawal symptoms the moment I left the house this morning. Steve was delayed last night...AGAIN...in Chicago and couldn't get out until this morning. He had a doctor appointment today and I would have seriously considered doing some damage to United Airlines if he didn't make that appointment, but we did. The doc said it was his back that was making his thigh hurt. Much more info than that, but to keep it short and not go into physical details...it is his back not his 4 times replaced right hip. ...thank you Jesus and I mean that.


So...the meat of this blog is this. In February when we were in California, my son gave me 14 CD's that he had copied for me. Of course I cried...they were pretty much all my favorites and a few really neat new ones like the Yoshida Brothers....Japanese rock music using old traditional instruments...really cool.

I wanted to listen to all of the CD's before I downloaded them to my iPod.... I sometimes play my CD's at home but my favorite thing to do is get in the car with the dogs (when Steve is gone) and drive, play my music at deafening levels and sing along. The dogs don't complain and it reminds me of when my kids were small and I would load them into my old white Dodge van that I had "decorated" with carpet, curtains and home size stereo speakers. The kids would sit in the back and we would head off to Belmont Shore and I would blast the music, sing at the top of my lungs while my oldest son played his air guitar, my daughter would laugh and make fun of me and my youngest son would sing every single word along with me and NO mistakes.

When I took off this morning to meet Steve I took Neil Young's Decade CD's....they would be the first ones that Gil had copied that I would play. I started off with my XM radio music....I have 6 favorite stations and am a constant button pusher. There were some really good songs on this morning and some of the words brought back memories..... maybe you will remember these lyrics.... the pompatus of love , really love your peaches want to shake your tree....one of these days I'm gonna shake that hangy down thing good bye....people can you feel it love is everywhere...Ahwhoo Werewolf of London, gotta love that boogie woogie country girl, I'm the boy that showed the girl the stars above....and have you ever really, really listened to the words to Nick of Time by Bonnie Raitt....even if you think you have listen again....


So, I was driving along the highway seeing the forest come alive for Spring, singing like a fool and thoroughly enjoying myself. I was stopped at the light in Athol (yes, that is the name of the town) and took out the first CD of Decade. On the inside of the paper title and song list sheet what did I see but a note from my son....and here it is. I pulled into the gas station on the corner and read the note and cried like....a mom I guess.
Regardless of my questionable mothering skills decades ago, I did give all three of my kids two things that make them stellar people....their love of the written word and music.
They all have eclectic preferences...they listen to everything from RAP to soft Opera and I would bet that their CD purchases number in the thousands each....really.
When I got home this evening I looked inside all of those CD's and each and every one of them has a personal message for me. Just when I thought I couldn't love my child more, I do. Just when I thought he couldn't do one more thing to make me proud of him, he does. And call me crazy but...I think Neil Young is a lyrical genius.

6 comments:

jan said...

How incredibly sweet and thoughtful. Family memories are so special.

Lorraine said...

That is awesome!

(And I love "Werewolves of London").

Sling said...

I can't think of anything better than to pass on to your children "an ear that hears"..you done good rosie.

Ex-Shammickite said...

Thanks for that personal observation of the bond between mother and son.... enjoy the CDs!

gina said...

okay, now I'm crying too.

Saw Steve yesterday. He is so neat! :)

Middle Child said...

Ah that is just so wonderful... what a good kid you have raised, and allowed to be...