There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Saturday, April 21, 2007



It has not been the best week for Drake. Last week she was eating and drinking really well. This week she started out OK, but yesterday and today she has done little of either one. I am torn between giving her IV fluids (should that be the treatment indicated) and just letting her eat the Fancy Feast she so loves and enjoy the time she has left. She absolutely hates the KD (kidney diet) food she has to eat...hates it. I give her maybe a 1/2 teaspoon of Fancy Feast every morning so she will take her thyroid medicine and she inhales the stuff. She will be 16 next week. She has been the kitty love of my life. She was my son's cat and when we moved to Idaho she came with us and the rest of the kitty household. She naps next to me when I sit down to read, sleeps under the covers next to me at night, lays on my chest when I snooze in the chair and tells me she loves me every day. She is heat seeking at the moment...sleeping under a lamp, or in the west window napper late in the afternoon. I will call the vet Monday just to see what she thinks...to take her to the vet sends her into a frenzy and she is miserable for days after. We will see what she says. I can't stick a needle into this kitty without help because she is a little bitchy most days....but maybe if Steve helps we could do it together.

6 comments:

Sling said...

Poor Drake..I hope she gets better soon. :(

Joan said...

I'm new to your blog and I just want to express how wonderful I think you are for taking such good care of your sick kitty. Reading your past posts makes me realize what a loving pet owner you truly are.

jan said...

Such a hard time when they come to the end and we don't want it to happen yet. I know you'll do the right thing for her.

Paul said...

We recently lost a 17 yr old dog and Our Youngest Daughter had to let go of a cancer-stricken dog. Know your feelings.

Honored to be on your blogroll. Thanks.

kenju said...

Poor baby (both you and the cat). My co-worker has an old dog she expects to die today; one she has had for 14 years. She was so sad at work today; I tried to amuse her and get her mind off the dog. I hope that Drake will rally and get better or go to sleep and pass quickly and without pain, Rosemary. I'm sorry.

Lilli & Nevada said...

I just read this about your Drake, I know how you feel, We have a cat Named TC she is over 20 yrs old now, she sleeps most of the day, we have a total of 10 cats, the other younger ones pick on her so much that we have to keep her in the bedroom by herself well she Buttercup the siamese that doesn't bother her and she spends much time with her.Our last pet that died was a dog named Beauty, she was park Dingo and Aussie. she was not quiet 22 when she had to be put to rest. very active up to two days of her death. TC sleeps hugged up on the oil heater we have in the bedroom.