There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Monday, April 23, 2007


Steve and I had an interesting discussion this morning...I "lost" the discussion I think. We were talking about what percentage of Steve's salary we should deduct for his company's retirement plan. He wants to go full bore...15%. I wanted a compromise to adjust to less income every month...7%. He gets really upset when we talk about retirement.


Technically, I am already retired and collecting my sad little Social Security check. I took the money early to help with this financial mess post car accident. Steve is 2 years younger than me, but if he retires at 62, well, there simply won't be enough income to even pay our mortgage.



He worries that something will happen to him...either his hip will totally fail or he will become incapacitated in some way, and we will be in deep do-do. We have had the what-will-each-of-us- do-when-the-other-one-dies talk too. That always ends with me in tears.


Steve stomped off...an interesting thing to watch with him using a cane....telling me over his shoulder "You are the one that's going to be upset when we don't have enough money to live on when we retire!" This was preceded by my bringing up the "Well, maybe we need to cut back on a few things" comment. Should be an interesting day.

6 comments:

Rhea said...

That's hard. I bet tons of people are having this same kind of conversation. Scary.

CRAIG & DIANE said...

It's a conversation that needs to be said, but let's not forget to live in the present, all of our tommorrow's are a gift.

kenju said...

Since I have a few years on you, we have already had that conversation. My sad little SS check hardly covers food and cell phone bills. I took it early too. Our CPA said take it will it is there to take, cause it might not be there in a few yrs.

Joan said...

I know that your predicament is shared by so many couples and it is truly a relationship-stressing time. Although I retired way too young and my pension pays for very little, I am blessed (in some ways) that my husband is older and worked for many more years so his pension is much better. Still...one never knows with a pension what the future will hold and whether it will continue to exist. Sigh...

Sling said...

Social Security will be healthy and fully funded by the time I retire!...I'm on the "Denial" plan.

Penzo said...

Hi Rosemary. I'm still around! Got back from my holiday and then travelled away to work then some more time with my kids then some more sleep. Life is not exactly how I'd like it at the minute but being away for two weeks with no TV, fresh produce to eat and a good book reminded me that I need a lot less than I might have thought to enjoy life. I always get back from holiday and want to throw loads of stuff out. I suppose not going near my computer quite so often was also a knock on from my break too. Your dilema is a tough one only you can resolve but good food and a bit of travel would be high on my list. Enjoy it whilst you have your health rather than watch it drip away on home care fees and colostomy bags. My friends aunt said 'when I'm laying on my death bed I'll remember all the places I've been not the carpet I bought.'(or words to that effect) Anway if you sell all those flippin' nick-nacks and the stuff in your loft you'll have loads of spare cash and you'll be able to move to a smaller house! you know it makes sense. x