There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Sunday, April 29, 2007

Two new things and one typically wierd Steve thing

The first sweet violets of Spring in the Selle Valley...I love their daintiness, sweet scent, their ability to come back every year fuller and larger in spread and for giving me a true sense of being home.


My new bike and pretty pink helmet! Steve bought the bike for me yesterday and after tweaking the chain guard a tad, it rides perfectly! I love it; no gears or brake grips...all Rosemary powered!


We live in the forest....that means we are surrounded on all sides for miles and miles by trees...cedars, fir, tamarack, aspen, cottonwood AND PINE. There are several types of pine that Steve really likes...white pine and ponderosa pine. I admit that there are a lot of lodge pole pine as well and they are a bit scraggly. We were outside this morning feeding the deer, birds and squirrels (SweetPea has left probably to have her babies at her other house) when Steve made the comment that we should really think about logging and getting some of the trees close to the house taken down and thinning out the forest a bit. I agreed. As we walked to the east garage to get seeds for that side of the house what did I see but a box filled with pine cones...ponderosa pine cones to be precise. My sweet husband possesses all of the requirements to be a certified pack rat. When I asked him "What in gawd's name are you doing with a box of pine cones?" he replied, "I may want to plant them and grow more trees someday." and I then asked, "Is that the way ponderosa pines grow; people planting pine cones?" No response. I didn't want to push my luck and bring up the forest thinning issue.


10 comments:

Sling said...

Way to go Rosie!
You,The Rube,and I,..Pedalling our asses all over town to save the planet! :)

kenju said...

That's a pretty new bike, Rosemary. I need one too, and my preference woul dbe for one without all the bells and whistles. However, I'd have to have an old fashioned seat on mine. Those banana seats don't work for me....LOL

Smear peanut butter on those cones and hang them up as bird feeders.

Rhea said...

Sounds like you live in an amazing place. Enjoy biking! I got a bike a few years ago and I love it.

Cazzie!!! said...

How magical. growing up, my Grandparents lived in thick lush Aussie Bushland. A place called Denver, Springhill, just out of a lovely township here called Dayelsford.
Every school holliday I would go and stay there. Nan and I would walk through the bush, collecting pine cones and bringing them home to dry out in front of the combustion stove. There would be these marvellous red and white mushroms growing right about this time of the year too, poisonous of course, nonetheless..gorgeous :)
We would also, about this time of the year, begint o burn back some blackberry bushes, a blighter of a weed up in the bush if you let it get away from you.
I love your bike :) I have a mountain bike too, funny enough, our town we live in is as flat as a tack!!! Still, I can pretend I am going up hills right?? LOL

Chandler said...

OOH pretty new bike, I like the cruiser style much more than mountain bikes. Have alot of fun with that, I'm quite jealous!

jan said...

Violets start blooming here in January and bloom through March. They have become my favorite flower. Each year I transplant more and more of them so eventually I may have an all violet front yard.

Ex-Shammickite said...

Violets in my lawn behind the garage making a purple patch in the sun. The Space Cadet says they are weeds. I say they are beautiful!

Lorraine said...

I love violets. I have a pink bicycle helmet. My husband doesn't have a box of Ponderosa pine cones but only because he hasn't thought of it.

Jennie said...

I was just this morning walking through a bed of violets in my neighbors yard trying not to squish them as I called my son from a friend's yard. There's just something about those wild violets...

Danielle said...

How I miss the woods of the Northeast. I thought we were the only ones to "collect" pinecones.