There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Thursday, May 31, 2007

Home sweet 'n sour home


Horribly small pics I know....this is the house where I lived from 1952 until 1962 when I married for the first time at 16. The top pic taken in 1952 is of my dad, my aunt Marcella holding my brother, my mom and me acting all hot with a candy cigarette. In the bottom pic taken in 1958 are my brother, mom and me looking sour as usual.
It was a small house with only one bathroom. My bedroom was in the very back and was originally a screen porch. It had a door that opened onto the patio. Came in handy for sneaking out to meet the guy that would become my first husband.
My dad started a kitchen renovation in 1963 and never finished the job...nor the paneling in the hallway, tiling the bathtub or painting the living room and bedrooms. He did manage to cover all of the windows in my bedroom with cherry paneling....don't know the thought process behind that decorative move. He also cemented in the area where there are roses in the front of the house leaving 12 inch holes for the bushes. The awnings came down eventually and the chimney collapsed in an earthquake in the late 70's. That created the closing off of the fireplace with cement blocks. The garage shifted during that quake as well and the door wouldn't open...so my dad just cut a man door into the big lifting door and presto...access.
My brother has lived in the house since my mother passed away. The last time I was actually in the house was the week after we buried my mom. My brother had taken down the Italian antique painting of Our Lady on the Serpent that had been over the couch for years and replaced it with a H.U.G.E. framed glossy of the Three Stooges. Ass****. I found the painting outside in the patio. My kids helped me move all of the family antiques from the house...and my brother was glad to be rid of the "junk." The painting went to my second cousin.
Whenever we visit California.....every time...I make Steve drive by the house.

9 comments:

Lorraine said...

Here's the question: when you drive by the house does it look so much smaller than when you were living in it?

jan said...

This looks like one of the houses where I lived as a child. The last time I saw it, it had absolutely been swallowed up by remodeling projects through the years and all the old charm was totally gone.

Dan said...

Candy cigarettes. That sure brings back good memories.

Three Stooges. That sure brings back lousy memories.

Joan said...

I haven't been back to my old neighborhood in 30 years (it's 3,000 miles away) but I am curious about it. I've seen pictures of the area on the Internet and it looks remarkably the same...a throw-back to the 1950's. Maybe some day I'll get to drive by there and see for myself. [Sigh]

kenju said...

That is similar to a house we lived in for a while, and your pics are so close to some I have from the 50's it is funny!

BTW: I got some of the photos back. I had to restore my recycle bin to get them.

Sandy said...

Candy cigarettes - yep, they had a red tip and I thought they made me look grownup, like I was actually smoking. We were in Washington when you had those quakes - pretty good jolts!

Jennie said...

Those pictures really have a lot of story in them! I love the one about the windows covered in panelling. Sometimes ya never know what a dad is gonna do to fix things...Your stories remind me of a lot of fits my mother had. lol

Red7Eric said...

Growing up all over the world, mostly on military bases that would no longer permit entrance to me, it's doubtful that I'll ever see many of the houses I grew up in ... so while the memories are both sweet and sour, you're lucky that way ...

Chandler said...

Wow, replaced it with the 3 stooges. That was the bit that really got me. *sigh* At least you were able to take those things your brother doesnt appreciate and keep them.