There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Wednesday, May 16, 2007

K. I. S...pics following.

Most of the time I take where I live for granted. I wake up and I am in the house we built, on the 16 acres we chose, trees all around, squirrels wheezing outside...and I go about my day just like I did the day before. The sun comes up...then it goes down and as long as there isn't snow in the forecast I am content to repeat, repeat, repeat.

We take the dogs for short rides most days. They enjoy hanging their heads out the side windows getting dogie slobber everywhere...it is our pleasure to watch them, ears flapping, drawing in the smells of the forest and barking at phantom animals.

I took them out early this morning but rather than go the usual way on all paved roads, I took a detour and drove along a dirt/rock road that meanders through the valley where we live. It was quiet, no one else pleasure driving when gas prices are at $3.32 a gallon.


There it was, all right in front of me stretching out for miles and miles.....North Idaho. There were snow capped mountains to the west, wild green pastures along the road, the forest filled with trees reaching to a sky that was the bluest of blue, and air filled with the oh-so-amazing-scents of country living....cows, fields with hay rolls, horses, the special smell of freshly turned earth. How. Sweetly. Simple.

Sounds too idyllic....but it is just that. As I pulled into our drive that feeling of home was wonderful and new. If I am nothing else, I am a bitch and a whiner. But for today I will be happy here at home knowing that I am truly living in God's country, that I have been blessed with my surroundings, that I woke up in a beautiful place, and all is right with nature. Tomorrow...umf...we'll see.



13 comments:

jp said...

That is beautiful country indeed. You're living a dream that many share but few ever attain.

kenju said...

Could you take your camera tomorrow and shoot some of those vistas?

Sandy said...

With such a vivid description, I felt as if I was on that detour with you - seeing those sights and smelling those smells. And the quiet - I can only imagine.

Jennie said...

What I wouldn't give for some of that peace and quiet right about now! To live in a place that I could say was "God's country" - umf is right. There is a God's country here in south Jersey, gorgeous farmland just minutes away. I used to live down there when I was first married. Now as the bus stops out front and cars speed by...it feels as far away as Idaho.

Sling said...

There really isn't anything like standing in the middle of creation,talking to nature,and listening to the casual reply.
Thanks rosie! :)

Joan said...

Take it from a City Girl...you live in paradise! Maybe someday I'll get to live in paradise with you. Sigh...

Ex-Shammickite said...

Glad to hear that you are appreciating your lovely surroundings... no moaning, groaning, complaining.... it's the New Rosie!
BTW the tickets weren't $38, we got them half price!!

Lilli & Nevada said...

Rosey we are so close to each other, i may have to come visit sometime, any boodocking places to park a Rv on?

Stephanie said...

Lucky you, I woke up to the train next to my window vibrating more than usual......Rosemary I thought it was an earthquake...You know me and earthquakes, I almost had a heart attack..... Anyways, here I am again. Tell Penny and Violet we said HI........

Cazzie!!! said...

Wonderful, living the dream and tomorrow is always a new day :)

CRAIG & DIANE said...

When we get tired of seeing the country we will be neighbors. We have a little lot on the Pend Orielle River. One day we'll have to sit and share our adventures.

gina said...

Rosemary...I know how you felt. Some days it just hits you how really beautiful this place is, and it's kind of astonishing. Some days, when I'm driving east on HWY 200 toward home and see those mountains silhouetted against the brilliant blue sky, it takes my breath away. We're a couple of lucky old broads, eh?

Chandler said...

Oh dont get down on how you feel day to day. Everyone has gems in their reality and it is only human nature to feel a bit jaded... unfortunately this tends to happen in a progressive fasion. What is awesome is that you were able to go out and clear your perspective; something not all people can do.