There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Lalalala...springtime...lalalala

Here is one of the new members of the family. This is a little bear. This bear has a sibling of the same size...they are the two that showed up the first night. Now that I have seen them with my glasses on and up close...way too close...they are yearlings. How do I know that? Sandy made a comment yesterday about a momma bear. Mom showed up yesterday afternoon. She. Is. HUGE. She is a dark cinnamon color but is still considered a black bear. Anyone care to take a guess how frightened any of these bears are of humans? Not one little bit. I was up close and way too personal when I was taking pictures, the bear climbed down, took the stance in the next picture and then climbed up the tree again. Was there anything in the feeder? That would be no. Four cracker shots later by Steve and the bear s l o w l y ambled up the trail. Came back as soon as we closed the door to just sit under the tree.. It's gonna be a long summer.



13 comments:

Rhea said...

Wow, bears! That's cool. Be careful they don't eat you up. I saw a bear once in Washington State.

gina said...

Awww, they are SO cute! I want one!

Chandler said...

That's a trip. Maybe someday I will see bears though from my knowledge of them I am content with being about as close to them as your pictures bring me :)

Sandy said...

Have you seen Grizzly Man? I've always heard bears have an odor - do they get close enough for you to smell them? Please don't laugh. I'm just trying to determine how you can "sense" (or is it "scents")them.

Sandy said...

Too new to this to know how to edit my comment, but I meant the movie Grizzly Man, not Sasquatch or anything like that.

Joan said...

I sure hope you and Steve were using a very long telephoto lens to take this photos. Please be careful...I don't want to read another news report of a bear attack!

Sling said...

Okay....THAT'S just cool!
On the one hand,they probably won't get agressive if you keep a respectful distance.
On the other hand...

Cazzie!!! said...

Mia's comment, "I want one mummy"...ha, just like the girl with the Oompa Lumpa in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Stephanie said...

Okay GiGi... Anthoney loves the bears and wonders if you will send him one for Christmas....JK... You better be very careful!!!

Suzanne said...

Oh My!! That is very cool. And this was in your yard? My boys are going to want to take a trip to Northern ID.

Suzanne

jp said...

Is it legal for bears to climb trees near a cat crossing? It should be a misdemeanor, at least.

gina said...

JP's comment has me cracking up. With laughter, not mentally.

Jennie said...

Oh my! I didn't see this post when I put up my lovely pictures of a black bear! lol I'm going to link you in my story. Wow...so you have black bears in your yard? Yikes. I thought skunks were bad.