There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Friday, May 11, 2007

A note and several pics below.

Just to explain....I was way too close to the bears when I took the picture of the one up the tree. I had the door open so I could get back into the house fast, but I honestly don't have a clue how fast the bear could run if it really wanted to get me....so I was not being smart. I won't do that again and Steve has yelled at me for misbehaving.

We are partly at fault for the bears coming back. We didn't have any bird feeders out, but there were seeds in the squirrel feeders the first night they came through. Steve takes corn out for the deer every morning and we also fill the feeders...the bears do not like corn at all but seeds are another issue. We usually stop filling the feeders before the bears arrive, but the last 2 years we have not done it in time.....so, our fault....partly. Several neighbors store their trash outside in either cans or just put the bags in open garages...bears love garbage and the stinkier the better. So, at night when we are not shotgun pumped and ready to cracker their butts, the bears do their route and get into garbage and feeders. Last night it was quiet....hopefully everyone has seen them and they went somewhere else to annoy people. Yesterday afternoon however, I was in our fenced garden when the babies leisurely walked through the yard shopping. They looked, I stood still and then they went on their way.

As for the pets....the kitties only go out into the playpen for the time being when we are downstairs; otherwise the door is closed. The dogs? Well, Penelope will chase the bears and usually the bears would take off...but this family I am not so sure would run. So, we peek out the door and window before we let them out as Violet would be a nice appetizer for them and Penny would just make them mad I am afraid.

The bears lived here long before we did and we try to respect that and not tempt them or do anything to endanger ourselves...but this group is a new kind of bear.....either really hungry or ticked at us for living in their forest.

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Hi Rosemary,

I was just catching up on your posts and looking at the photos. You DO live in a nicer part of Idaho than I do! It's beautiful!

Have a wonderful weekend.

Suzanne

kenju said...

Please be careful! Steve is right; the bears can move very quickly when they want to!

If I lived where you do, I think I'd have a 20'tall fence!

Cazzie!!! said...

yes, most likely ticked for you living in their forrest. I'd be in awe yet scarred at the same time too.

Sandy said...

I'm gong to echo the "be careful" line. I'm afraid my legs wouldn't work if I ever encountered a bear.

Ex-Shammickite said...

I just can't imagine what it would be like to have bears living in the vicinity of my house. The worst we get are skunks and raccons, and those damn tree-rats, otherwise known as squirrels.
I read a newspaper article recently about some people in Alaska who woke to find a grizzly bear killing a full grown moose in their driveway! The bear tore the heart out of the moose and ate it!
So Rosie.... stay away from the bears!!