There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Monday, June 11, 2007

Bubble head

Christmas 1961. Here I am Christmas morning showing off and smiling for once. On my head is my new portable hair dryer with a "bonnet" big enough to cover the Country Club beer cans with the ends punched out so I could clip them onto my head (the cans were as round as a regular beer can but half as tall). I used them to "straighten" my hair. Yes, the cans got hot and burned the crap out of my scalp, but anything for beauty, right? The dryer was portable as far as its size and small motor....still had to be plugged in and I had to stay in one place while my hair dried. The alternative to the hair dryer/can invention was ironing my hair which made it crisp and a little bit shorter every time I brushed it.....it broke off! Eventually I gave up the dryer/cans/ironing and used cute pink hair tape to keep my hair straight...for about 17 minutes....and I actually did go out in public with the cans in my hair and tape on my bangs. I was young.

17 comments:

panthergirl said...

Oh, that is hilarious!! My sisters used a hairdryer like that. My hair was down to my butt, so it didn't work for me. Since there were no blow dryers, I had to sit outside and brush my hair for hours until it dried.

They also ironed their hair. For some reason, mine was stick straight so my mother used to try and curl it!! Weird!!

Mom said...

I always wished I had curly hair. Why do we always want what we don't have?
Great picture!

Rhea said...

I think my older sister had one of those hair dryers.

utenzi said...

At times like this, Rosemary, I think women will forever remain a mystery to me! LOL

Leigh said...

HA that's amazing. You know I started using old pictures of my family kind of like this one and making greeting cards outof them
So much fun.

Thanks for the comment over at my place. Glad you liked the photographs.

colleen said...

I still remember the day my mom brought me home a set of hot curlers. It was new and made my life so much easier. What an invention! Michele sent me.

kenju said...

I had a hair drier like that!! I hated being tied-down by it, too.

Auld Hat said...

My problem is just the opposite. I have such thin, wispy hair that it dries before I get a chance to style it properly. I always wanted very thick, curly hair. My kid sis has full, thick, wavy gorgeous red hair and an exotic widows peak. A WIDOWS PEAK! The bitch.

jan said...

Some of the women in my set used to "tease" their hair. They back combed it and somehow it seemed to give body to it. I was always afraid my very fine hair would just fall out if I did that.

Jennie said...

The beer can thing is too much! I have a picture of me in one of those hair dryers too. I'll post it if I can find it. Mine was from around '66.

Paul said...

For My First Wife's first Christmas with me, I gave her one of those, except it had that big shell and she sat under it.

Sling said...

Nice bubble hat...Great legs rosie!

Lorraine said...

I so remember those!

Lilli & Nevada said...

Oh gosh Rosemary, i remember having one of those, You know what i did with mine? When it was cold i would put the dryer in my bed and it kept me toasty warm. I only used it for my hair once. I too had hair down to my butt and still do.

Shephard said...

Does anyone wear a bonnet anymore? :)
What a great photo!

Congratulations on being Michele's Site of the Day!

Michele says hello!
~S

Moogie said...

LOL! Too funny! Do you still have problems with really curly hair?

Chandler said...

Wow, that's intense. I have friends who hate the kinks and curls in their hair and so iron it. I could never understand. But the concept of cans burning your scalp?!?! I would think you would lose more thair *that* way. By the way I love that wallpaper!! :)