There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Saturday, June 02, 2007

Mama's got a squeeze box....Daddy never sleeps at night.







Sorry for the title...I just couldn't resist!


Who woudda thought? Accordions making a comeback! Why I might just be discovered in my old age!!!


This was a "filler" column in today's paper I am sure because after the part I scanned it is just blah, blah, blah. But still....this could make all the difference in my silver years.


I played the accordion from the sweet innocent age of 6 until I was 16. Ten very long accordion years. My first instructor was Mr. Marconi. He lived over Petrini's Music in uptown Alhambra and taught me the 12 bass. My mom rented my first cute little accordion. After we moved to the "burbs" my mom drove me to Aretta's Accordion in San Gabriel where Mrs. Castalinni was my instructor. I loved her...she was tiny, pretty and actually loved the accordion. I hated the instrument. I wanted to play the piano BUT I was I.T.A.L.I.A.N. Italian kids played the squeezebox.




Yep, I watched Lawrence Welk and thought Myron Floren was a geek. The real hunk of the accordion world was Johnny La Padula!!! Every year there was an accordion festival/competition in Long Beach, Ca. and of course I went and he was always there....I even got his autograph one year.




I was good enough eventually to teach 6 year old runny nosed kids myself. The last year I taught, my little band of kids won first place in their category.....AND.....the senior band I played with won first place as well playing Capriccio Italian. I was the "featured" accordionist along with another girl Sue Mosher (the only non Italian in the band) and I have a 78 recording of the event.




So, I'm thinkin....I still have my accordion ....a Scandalli that my Uncle Sonny brought back for me from Italy....if I could just find major C I might be able to hit all the senior centers from here to Spokane and make a little cash on the side!


13 comments:

jan said...

If you've got a large repertoire of polkas, you could probably make a mint at senior centers (and assisted living).

Did you notice I finally conquered leaving a comment on your blog?

utenzi said...

I'm having a little trouble believing they're gonna come back, Rosemary. But good luck!

CRAIG & DIANE said...

I have very fond memories of my Aunt playing her accordian around the campfires of our annual summer camping trips. Keep playing!

Red7Eric said...

In a former life, one of the adoptive lesbian moms was married to a professional accordion player. It's been a running gag ever since.

Tragic, really.

kenju said...

I'm having the same trouble as Dave is - I don't think they're coming back either....LOL

In jr, high school, we lived near a music shop that gave lessons on the accordion. A guy I knew then and in high school got to be very good on the squeeze box, but then he learned guitar and it was all over for his accordion!

Joan said...

I'm having a really difficult time picturing some young rocker playing the accordion...it just isnt the most romantic or cool instrument. But hey...what do I know?

'B' said...

Hi Rosemary,
Whilst I am sure that you are/were very good at playing the accordion, I personally think it should not be played, somewhat like the bag pipes!
Sorry, but not one of my favourite musical instruments I am afraid...
Here from Michele's this morning...
Bernie

Paul said...

Rosemary, you know why we have bassoons?

Because they make such great kindling for an accordion fire.

Cazzie!!! said...

You know what this means don't you? You will have to play us a tune, and record it on You Tube and link it right here!!!

Lorraine said...

I've said it before, it bears repeating: "La vie en rose"...for my birthday...be there.

Chandler said...

Wow that's a trip, the accordian. I've never really gone and listened to it for it's sake, merely heard it in passing. I've always thought it looked like an interesting thing to learn. I love it! :)

panthergirl said...

OH MY GOD... .I played the accordion too!!!!!

howrhow said...

Just happened to see your blog. I took accordion lessons at Aretta's school of music and was there when it changed to Signature Music Studios. Started out taking lessons from Tony Aretta. Still Play the accordion and I'm at the Cotati Accordion Festival this week end. August 17, 2013