There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Thursday, June 07, 2007

You Flap girl!











These are pictures of my dad's sister, Rowena. I am not sure how the sibling hierarchy goes, but my dad was the oldest so obviously this is his younger sister! Brilliant my dear Watson.

Isn't she the vision of a Flapper??? With the exception of my dad and my Auntie Marcella, all of my dad's siblings had nappy hair. I rarely saw my Aunt Rowena without a wig. Aunt Ruby always wore her hair tucked around a "rat" (see explanation in post below) and my uncles Pete and Jack kept their hair buzzed pretty short. My grandfather had the same nappy hair and then there is Rodley....another relative that cements the fact that we have African American/Black blood running deep.


My dad's family had some different names too....Rowena for one...she was married to LaDoyt, Ruby's married name was Diefendeifer, there was Aunt Twoohey with a son named Pole, also Treva and Carpenter were relations. My grandmother was Minnie Heiman. Another last name was Bible...all of these folks are recorded in the family bible that I have (no relation to the family Bible BTW). Ummhum. Another BTW...I don't think my grandmother Minnie ever knew my name. She called me girl and on those occasions when I saw her she always gave me a penny.....loving woman.

PS...Thank you all for the truly great suggestions....I have taken them to heart and have already started projects with some of the "stuff." I went to WallieWonderWorld and bought a bunch of black picture frames. I took the pics of our kids off the 4 shelves in the downstairs living room and put the favorites of my parents pre-rosemary in the frames and on the shelves. I am keeping all of the tin types, certain items of my mom and dad's....some letters and cards, and all of my grandmother's letters to my mom and those written to me. There are some old family pics that I love and will keep just because and will put them in a scrapbook and last night I scanned a TON of pics (thank you, Dan). I called my cousin in Portsmouth (the one that helped me so much with Mama Mia and is the maternal family genealogist) and it turns out she tossed pretty much everything of her parents a long time ago after she had scanned a lot of items. She called the local Portsmouth newspaper but they are not interested unless the items are complete and pristine...and her kids are even less interested than mine. And the unknown stuff?......a special gift to a blogger. The "stuff" will be used for art, will be seen by other people and appreciated for the generation that produced it. I feel good. I called my kids as well and they agree with my decision. My daughter noted that my mother had close to nothing of her parents just pictures from the time of my mother's birth forward. I feel like I have preserved the important stuff by scanning, scrapbooking and donating.
PSS...anyone want my Princess Diana small collection or the few JFK, Jr. items I have?










14 comments:

Auld Hat said...

Between the fantasticalness of those pics and the bizardiness of those family names - I am a drooly mess over h'yah!

jp said...

Another wonderful hat!

I think I've developed an unhealthy hat-fatuation.

jan said...

That sounds like a great plan, and quite ambitious, good for you. I thought my ancestors had weird names, but not in comparison. :>)

kenju said...

We had some weird names too. My grandma's family consisted of: Cora, Corba, Pearl, Dot, Watt, Light, and a man named Vivian....LOL

Cazzie!!! said...

That hair style is certainly one for the books...I did see it on the cat walk in the 1980's somewhere though :)

Ex-Shammickite said...

Hey Rosie, what's nappy hair? It's a word I'm not familiar with. (In UK nappy is another word for diaper!!!)
Those are great photos, and I love the 2 ladies with the fabulous hats a couple of posts back. BTW my dad's first wife was called Rowena, I think it's a lovely name.
Haven't commented for a while cos I've been doing calligraphy on the wedding invitations, no time to blog!

Chandler said...

A project sounds so inspiring, I hope you are enjoying yourself. And that is quite a hair-do :)

Joan said...

Those photos are wonderful!!! I have a shopping bag filled with such family photos (from my late aunt's collection) and your project makes me want to finally do something with them. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Lorraine said...

What's in the Diana collection?

utenzi said...

I like that second picture of Rowena, Rosemary, but in that first picture her ears look like she's getting ready for flight. Maybe that's why she's wearing a hat in the later picture.

Frannie said...

u had mentioned Minnie Heiman being your grandmother what is/was her husband's name?

rosemary said...

frannie: no way to contact you so hope you see thins. She was married to my grandfather William Henry Lucas. The Heiman was another marriage.

Frannie said...

do you have any info about minnie heiman?

rosemary said...

frannie: rather than try to "talk" via my blog, please feel free to email me at momikat@gmail.com