There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Monday, July 02, 2007

By the sea, by the sea lurks a strange man

This is a picture of my Aunt Rowena. She was the star of a previous post. A sign of the times for sure is her bathing suit and cap. No date on the pix but below is what is written on the back. I sure hope she wrote that herself. The pix of the gentleman below Rowena, well, the only name that comes to mind is Snidley Whiplash. I know that is a name from some cartoon, but isn't he quite the sly looking wolf? I went through a few more piles of "stuff" last night and found some treasures. I'll post them over the next few days. I hope everyone enjoys these pictures. It really is a window to the past.


This says "Mrs. H L Carr before she was married. She is a horse now." The H L stands for Horace LaDoyt my uncle. He went by LaDoyt.

15 comments:

Auld Hat said...

Does that say, "she is a horse now"? lol - oh mercy! (side splitting)

jp said...

Please find us some pictures of what she looked like after she became the horse.

kenju said...

Yeah, I'd really like to see the "after" pic! LOL

That was SOME bathing suit!

Cazzie!!! said...

LOL, he is a sly lookin fella

Dan said...

Snidley Whiplash is a character from a cartoon? It almost sounds like the name of a character that W. C. Fields would play.

Sling said...

Dan,..Yer thinkin' if Phineas T.Whipsnade.
Snidely Whiplash was a character on Dudley DoRight..and clearly,I have way too much time on my hands.
Love the pix Rosie!
Keep 'em coming.

Sandy said...

The pictures are wonderful and obviously a sense of humor runs in your family! I remember bathing caps and they were awful. I had very long hair and trying to stuff it into the rubber cap was awful and taking it off pulled my hair.

jan said...

Maybe she was just reincarnated as a horse.

Lucy Stern said...

I love looking at old pictures....How did you get a picture of my kittie?

Joan said...

That gentleman does indeed look like Snidely Whiplash...evil arch nemesis of Dudley Do-right.

And exactly why do you think they thought your aunt was a horse after marrying? How odd.

Mom said...

What a great bathing suit! I remember wearing bathing caps - all girls were required to wear them.

Michele said...

Teehee... horse. Snicker... that's funny. Unfortunately they STILL wear bathing caps today... I mean, I'll be sitting on the beach and the local seniors will pile out of a bus and bound into the water with the exact same suit and bathing cap on... the fad still lives on... trust me.

Lorraine said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

utenzi said...

A horse? A horse! Poor Aunt Rowena.

madretz said...

These are great and oh so funny! Love looking at old B&W pics, especially when there's a story behind them.