There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Sunday, July 22, 2007

Guess who came to dinner? Pix below the post.

Yup, my wild child is home; with 4 babies in tow. She is dirty and acted like I was nuts when I cried louder than when I thought she was gone forever.


She's not talking. Neither are the babies. If I push the issue, she walks away. Little snot.


Steve and I were talking about our pets and how blessed we have been to have the particular ones that we have had. We have accumulated a laundry list of unwanteds over the years. The first baby we brought home was Babie; so named because my kids teased me and called her mommy's new baby. Babie was the result of a kitty mill. While Babie was at the vet's getting "fixed" we brought home Magic who was a lab kitten at Loma Linda Medical Center. He wouldn't have worked in what ever experiment they were going use him for because his momma had mastitis and couldn't feed him. One of the neurosurgeons I worked with asked me if I had room for a 4 week old kitten that would need a faux kitty mommy and I said yes! Magic was forever Babie's baby, not mine.

Then came Mr. Butterbur Goldberry the Dog (can anyone guess where the name came from). He was a 6 month old pedigreed Lasha Apso that was HUGE and had a jaw deformity. He never took to me and at one time the vet suggested we put him down because he had several episodes of biting me, once on the lip. Ah, that would be a no. He spent almost 2 years walking around with a leash attached to his collar. As soon as the leash came off, he would potty in the hallway. It was an attractive leash. Then Cicero was rescued from death row at the animal shelter. He was almost a year old and not "placement material." He was nicely placed in our family.

Miss Drake was my son's cat. He wanted a kitten as his college graduation gift. No, he didn't want a computer or a trip to Hawaii, he wanted a kitten. After my son moved back home with Drake in his arms, she fit in perfectly as the Queen of the pets and became "our" cat after my son married.

When Magic died at 14 we felt like there was an enormous hole in our family. When a co-worker announced her registered Siamese had gotten "that way" from an alley cat and she was going to have the babies aborted I told her if there was a male kitten I would take it. If no males then I would take a female. She let the pregnancy go to term and we not only took Fuzz (named in utero) but Mimi Louise as well as she was going to the animal shelter.

We lost Babie, Cicero and Goldberry in Idaho.....all of them to very old age and serious illness.

Enter Charlie, absolutely the undisputed doggie love of our lives. We got him from the local shelter when he was almost 8 years old. We had 8 glorious years with Charlie. He had experienced some pretty significant spinal problems in 2004, but they were under control and he was comfortable and able to walk and move around quite well. Then the accident happened (Charlie and Violet were in the back seat). Charlie deteriorated rapidly after that and we finally got past our selfish need for him and let him rest. Then there is Schitzo Violet a gift from our daughter. Violet was discovered in a pet grooming shop; the result of another promiscuous animal.

Penelope. What can I say about Penelope? She was the street bag lady, snooping into garbage for snacks, laying on a snow berm in winter to sleep, in knapweed during the summer. She was destined to be shot in the forest because she was inconvenient. She is now conveniently an indoor/outdoor dog that sleeps on a sheepskin pad next to my side of the bed.

The last cat to let us live with her was Sophie. She was the cat living, in-the-closet-full-of-fleas-and- scared-of-her-shadow-which-was-rather-large, at my brother in laws.

And now we have SweetPea. We do have a plan; SweetPea to the vet's to get fixed, babies to the no kill shelter to find homes because they would not survive a winter up here and I will try my best to integrate SweetPea into a family of 3 females and 1 male cat and 2 female dogs all of whom are testy on their best days.

None of these animals were/are animals. We feel they are an integral part of our family, our friends, our children in a sense, our dear companions and deserving of at least a second chance if not more.










16 comments:

Sling said...

WOO HOO! :)

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Is that Sweet Pea? OMGosh, she is gorgeous! Can I have her? :-) (The Evil Twin would kill me if I brought a cat home right now!).

Auld Hat said...

YAY!

more cowbell said...

Mamma cat trumps the Wilds! Good for her! I'm so happy for you and the felines.

Dan said...

By the looks of it, SweetPea is a sweet little kit. And a lucky one too, with such wonderful parents adopting her. :)

kenju said...

I know you are thrilled that she is back home - I would be too! She's pretty!

Ex-Shammickite said...

So the wanderer returns!
And I can't help saying smugly "Told ya so!"

Nice post about all your darling cats and dogs. I have quite a list too, perhaps I shall blog about them one day.

Mom said...

I'm doing my happy dance at the return of the prodigal.
You do have a history with animals!

Lorraine said...

Ha! See? Silly ol' kitties.

I'm happy for you, Rosie!

Michele said...

Wow... SweetPea is sooo cute. I love your dedication and committment to animals or shall I say family/friends/companions. Wonderful post. I enjoyed that.

Jennie said...

Oh good. I'm so glad you're all one again. Sounds like you've given a lot of animal friends a wonderful home and lots of love.

jan said...

I am so happy for you. Do you suppose SweetPea can start a blog and tell us about her secret life?

Sandy said...

The prodigal mama returns - made my day. Riverside is now a no-kill shelter - wish that was the only kind.

gina said...

I am SO relieved! Now we just have to get Maui back to AH and the world will be right.

Middle Child said...

Wonderful... I was hoping...cats do return, more likely if they have babies...a lone cat will dissappear but a mother with babies to feed it is unlikely unless they got hurt...

I like "The last cat to let us live with her"... you understand the nature of cats totally and thats why we love them... sorry Charlie if you read this...Charlie "yates" cats

madretz said...

I'm catching up on reading your blog since I've been away. I always work back to where I left off, and the last unread post was about Sweetpea's disappearance. I'm so glad to read that she's back! Lovely stories about all of fur family. I feel the same way even though I only have 1 kitty, who is 16 and queen of the house, so I don't think she'd appreciate another fur kid around her territory.