There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Thursday, July 26, 2007

Maybe a little Italian, but I'm not sure.

This couple are the Celinos. They were the parents of my godmother, Lucy. Neither one of them spoke English but Mrs. Celino (never knew their first names and wouldn't have called them by those names anyway unless I wanted to get smacked) would bark out orders in Italian to the kids at a gathering and expect all of us...none spoke Italian....to understand everything she was saying. When we didn't respond she would call us "stupido" and raise her hand and take a deep breath and exhale with a protracted ahhhhhhiee. I think the Teflon Don would have looked like Mr. Celino had he lived. I think he is quite a handsome man.

Photo taken at Lexington Photographer, Baltimore, Md. It is hard to see the detail in the photo. I took a magnifier and the layers of lace on this dress and the embroidery is magnificent. I love the sagging stockings and the beautiful summer hat on the chair, the elegant little tie shoes and the look on her face that might say....I am standing still, Mama.

If EVER there was the map of Italy on faces, well, here it is. Twins? Names? Place...only the photographer, Lexington Photographer in Baltimore, Md. More of my mom's stuff. This picture does not even come close to showing the detail on the clothing; lace, buttons, handwork, fine fabric, gold around their necks, earrings in her ears, highly polished shoes and more. Do you think this was where "You talkin to me?" came from....said in fear by the boy and insolence by the girl.

18 comments:

Lorraine said...

I LOVE these photos!

Auld Hat said...

These are wonderful wonderful woohoo-hooty! I can't believe how well taken care of all of your photos seem to be. Marvelous.
OH I just can not wait to get my prezzies!

JessnBekahsmom said...

Reminds me of a picture of my husband's 96 year old grandma. She and her sister had pleated silk dresses on. Her mother folded all the pleats individually and spent hours doing it, just for the picture. People were amazing then.

I sent you an email, on the one that you never check. I couldn't remember the other one. So check it, okay?

Missed you. Glad to be back.

triple Bs said...

I heard that you live in Sandpoint. I lived there for many years, but I have been gone for more. Your experience, living there as an adult, is probably much different than mine was growing up there. Anyway, mostly I see that you are an animal lover and that's why I'm really here (from Jan's poodle & dog blog).

Mom said...

I think there must be a great story behind these pictures. You could write a novel about who they might have been.

kenju said...

FABULOUS photos, Rosemary, especially the last 2.Those children are precious and so are their clothes. In the first one, the only thing that doesn't look Italian about her is the fact that she wasn't wearing a black dress. But her "cankles" (as my daughter calls them) are so reminiscent of women I saw in Italy last fall.....LOL

Auld Hat said...

Hey! (admires own cankles)

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Love the pics. The kids are so cute and you know they had to be getting restless having to stand for so long, but they're troopers and look adorable.

Jennie said...

All these pictures are great Rosemary. Love the Celinos. Were they both 4'10" or what?!

Sandy said...

What beautiful faces - on the young and the old.

jan said...

Hard to believe how much care went into dressing those children for their photos. I wish they had included more about who they were.

Cazzie!!! said...

This is part of what I loved working with the elderly in the Italian Nursing home from age 15yrs. Looking at their pictures from back home..when they were young. The lovely clothes.often home made. Their rosy cheeks, brushed with red rouge powder. Their smiling red lips.... and the thought of a marvellous up bringing and moving here to Australia.

jp said...

Mr. Celino is holding a cigarette.

These are the things that I notice.

cs said...

it makes me want to live in a different time just for a day to see what it was like....to play dress-ups and other niceties

celerman said...

The suggestion to write a story based on these novels is a great one. It's the kind of thing I'd set for a writing class -go on, I dare you.

gina said...

I love those!! They are so, so classic!

JP - really...do grow up, okay? ;)

more cowbell said...

Oh these are wonderful pictures, Rosemary! I think it would drive me a little crazy, wondering about the stories behind these people. Who they were, how they relate to you and your family, who they became ...

Middle Child said...

Dear little kidies...hope they both had good lives and lots of love