There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Monday, July 09, 2007

Stepping out from the 1800's




Are these the most wonderful pix ever? They are tin types. There's another word used as well; daguerreotypes I think (correct me if I am wrong). On the back of the bottom pix is written Amon Rocky. Quite a name. The top one only has the place where the pix was taken, Brookville, Pa. I didn't do these wonderful collectibles much good scanning them as I think light exposure will eventually ruin them. So, they will go back into their hiding place for another generation hopefully.


One of the main reasons I started this blog was to talk about my past, put down "on paper" what I knew about my parents and their families so my children would know and want to know more. As I have been going through the pictures and letters my parents saved for decades, I have thought a lot about the fact that I am looking at these memories and I have no idea what they meant to, well, anyone. I hope with all my heart Amon Rocky was happy. He looks like a proper young man. The man in the top picture has a watch chain and looks jaunty with that hat, perhaps he was wealthy. But he also looks somber. Maybe this all sounds silly, but you know, should my picture land in someone's collection of I-don't-know-what-to-do-with-all-of-this-stuff-and-who-is-this-woman, I would hope my name is on the back and they could read She was really happy in this picture.


13 comments:

Joan said...

It's funny you should mention this. My Hubby and I wonder what will become of our photos since we have no children to preserve and treasure our memories. I guess we just have to hope that our nieces and nephews will love us enough to keep our memories alive. Sigh...

Oh...a little award is waiting for you at my blog. Congratulations!

kenju said...

As you know, I love old photos like this and I have quite a few. I hope that our children will treasure them as much as we do and will do all they can to preserve them for their children and grandchildren to see.

Mom said...

I predict that one day your kids will find this all important. The stories of our past is what the future is built on. The past helps us make sense of today. Keep posting your old pictures. They are fascinating.

Auld Hat said...

Love!

Sling said...

Oh,I'm guessin'they were quite happy.
The somber look comes from having to pose for the lengthy exposure time it took to take a photo in those days.

Sandy said...

I hope they were happy too though when I've talked to my oldest relatives it seems being "happy" wasn't something they thought about. I always wondered if it was a generational thing or the Scandinavian heritage. I would love finding a picture that said "she was really happy in this picture."

jan said...

People in old pictures always look somber. They had to hold still for the slow shutter speed. And they had bad teeth.

Lilli & Nevada said...

love old photos, i have scanned all of mine and put them in album with what i could remember of them, or about my parents and grandparents for my grandchildren.
wonder if you can print all this out from the blog site.
who knows how long this blog will last, have you ever tried to print it out or download it all.?

Lorraine said...

Once upon a time someone in my family uncovered some glass negatives. GLASS! There were 2...one of a wedding day photo of my great grandfather and mother and another of the whole damn motley crew, most of whom no one still living could identify. But someone had the gumption to have the negatives turned into "proper" negatives and have prints made for anyone who wanted them. And that is pretty awesome, even if we don't know who most of the frakkers are!

Cazzie!!! said...

Amazing tin pics, I reckon, if you called the antique dealers that get on the radio here and enquired on these pieces they would get sooo excited over them!! They always tell the people calling up to keep them safe, as you are, and not let them go. But, some people want the money and do sell them at auction.
Sentimental things ought to be kept.

Chandler said...

I still think it's really cool you are making this go at going through all of this stuff, sorting it where you can and simply enjoying the history there. It's reassuring to know you would do that so as to spark some interest for, exactly that, future generations who may not be so inclined to do the sleuthing.
On another note, I didn't fall off the planet... I'm back, I miss you, and I hope things are going well!!!!
Chandler

Chandler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Middle Child said...

I have two of these tin pictures and you are rght thats what they are called. Mine look identical to yours...I mean the paper surrounding them and the size...people of course are different. They are McGoldricks from Boa Island Fermanagh Ireland...and are myGreat great grand parents.