There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Monday, July 23, 2007

Ticked off and I'm not gonna take it anymore....oh, that's way too strong.

I am apologizing again for not reading blogs last night. I was on a mission, a research mission.

I have made three really bad purchase decisions in my life; a Corvette, a waterbed and now a washing machine.

The Vette was an 89. Red. Fast. Beautiful. I wanted it. I bought it. The E brake came off in my hand, the back window slid off, a gasket continually blew and all of this happened in the first year I had it. I lost my a## when I traded it in on my cute little MR2.

The water bed was a trendy thing to buy. I wanted one. I wanted one. I bought it. It was the worst sleep of my life. I hated the damn thing. Kept it for a year and then gave it to my oldest son. He still has the frame with a regular mattress set in it.

Three years ago I needed a new washer. The newest thing on the market was a brand that starts with May and ends with Tag but I don't think I should put the brand name in this post; might get me in trouble. It was a Neptune but I really can't post the model type. It had paddles instead of an agitator. It was supposed to do a whiz bang wash job, better spin thus saving on drying time, could launch rockets into space and bring a man home from the moon. I wanted one. I wanted one. I bought one.

It is a piece of crap. I hated it after the second load of wash. It does not wash well, the capacity is fraudulently advertised....yes it has a large tub, but you can only load it half way up....when it spins it turns my clothes into pretzels and actually can knot a pair of pants legs. Yesterday was the last straw. It kept going off balance with a load of two sheets. Two. No pillowcases, no wash cloths, no dish towels, just 2 sheets. I eventually wrung them out and hung them to dry.

I ranted like a fish woman (you know, like in a fish market yelling "Buy the mackerel today or I'll hit you in the head with a fish"). If I was married to anyone other than Steve I would have been told to deal with the situation. When I screamed "I am finished with this POS. I am researching a new washer, I am going to buy a new washer TOMORROW. I don't care how much money I wasted on this POS, I am getting a new washer and that's it!" He said "OK, honey."

So, I have done my research. I am going to Sears this afternoon and getting a new washer with an agitator, dials, no little clicky push button thingies, very few choices in wash types and load sizes....hot, warm cold, big, middle, small, agitate the clothes to death or be gentle.....and that's IT. Oh, and don't ever buy a Maytag Neptune washer. While doing my research I found out that the class action lawsuit about this exact washer had been settled earlier this year.

18 comments:

Auld Hat said...

lol! Sorry, I know I shouldn't find this pretty much the most hilarious imagery I've had all morning, but it's so funny to me when you swear in 'code'. And that Daddy-o sure is super! Let's keep him. (:

more cowbell said...

It doesn't really help, but makes you feel a hell of a lot better if you kick it a bunch of times really hard. Put on some big boots first, though.

I feel your pain. I'm in Camera Research Hell this week. Ugh.

Rhea said...

I hate when I buy something (expensive) and then I regret it. I thought Maytag was supposed to be the best.

kenju said...

You know they used to be the best on the market. I have one of that brand that I have had for 24 years and it still washes fine. I had to replace the dryer last year, and I now have a Sears brand, which is great. I hope your new purchase will work much better for you!!

jan said...

Glad for this information. I really wanted the M----g, but settled for the Sears and have always wondered if I made the right decision. Guess so.

Sandy said...

We bought a high-end, stackable washer and dryer and three days after the mfg warranty expired the stainless steel drum in the dryer developed problems. They took pity on us and delivered a new drum charging us only the delivery fee, $50. Then we had to pay someone to install it. The old drum might make a great fire pit. If we had a do-over, I'd buy from Sears. But only making 3 really bad purchases? You're doing good!

Joan said...

I can remember my mom having and loving her Maytag washer waaaay back when. These days, however, I've heard nothing but bad things from owners so I'm staying away. Now...let me tell you about my noisy-out-of-the-box refrigerator!!!

cs said...

Ahhhh, I am so glad you blogged your heart out on that POC, le crema de caca, because we too, yes, we have the very same expensive, over-rated set of worthless machinery downstairs. I kept thinking I was buying the wrong detergent because the clothes were still coming out dirty...I have tried everything to get stains out, but zip, nada, zilch...throwing the clothes in the bathtub and stomping on them like grape mashing would do better!
Thank you for validating my exact thoughts on the MayBagits! Of course I would like to buy a new set, but it heard me and now will last 30 years!

jp said...

I grew up wanting a waterbed but they were considered a luxury item. Then I finally was able to get one for myself. A year later I was back on a mattress again.

Never had to buy a washer/dryer, but I know I'll have to someday and now I'm scared.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Oh gosh i need to show this to my hubby as we have the same thing, i tell him all the time what a piece of you know what that washing machine is. He swears that there is nothing wrong with that machine, and i swear there is, Thank You Thank YOU for posting that.

Chandler said...

Wow, the corvette really cause you that much trouble? That is very unfortunate. And yes in my opinion it takes an invertebrate to sleep soundly in a waterbed. That's really frustrating about the washing machine though. There's nothing more irritating than an irate washing machine that becomes unbalanced if you break on it wrong. Good luck with your new purchase :)

Lorraine said...

I'm with Hat. I totally hate when appliances don't do what they are supposed to do but if they're going to be aggravating, at least in the right hands, you have yourself some darned fine comedy.

And the poster arrived yesterday, btw. The Child thanks you heartily.

Mom said...

My Sears washer has served me faithfully for more years than I can remember. Hope you feel better after that little rant.

Jennie said...

First of all, wow, you bought a Corvette AND a water bed. You are even groovier than I thought. ;) Secondly, I have Maytag washer and dryer for 15 or so years and they've been good, but I can identify with buying "the latest" POS and going back to "the reliable" regular model. My dishwasher with the computer touch pad lasted a few years, then the pad went bad, which burnt out the motor and it died. So we got a simple ole dial dishwasher. Works like a charm. I love how they experiment with technology and sell it to us at high prices, to recover their experiment-costs, as the "latest thing". Grr.

Chancy said...

You are SO right about the POC Maytag Neptune washer. I had one. My grown son and his wife HAD one.Trouble, trouble toil and trouble. We all finally gave up and scraped the piece of junk.
I did like you and went to Sears and got an agitator washer with dials and I am happy as a clam.

Maytag should be ashamed.

utenzi said...

I LOVE waterbeds. Especially the kind with lots of waves. My current one is a waveless style and it's real boring. But at least it has nice give when you lay down.

Middle Child said...

You mae me laugh and it feels good... ha ha ha "It is a piece of crap" Crap is such a great word. We lived in one house for 18 years and had a washing machine and fridge...which only needed attention in the last two years...
then we moved out here and decided we'd start rfresh with Fischer and Paykel appliances "the best dearie"...a dishwasher...fridge and washing machine...been here since March 2004 and each appliance has had about 6 visits by service men...and the stove is crap too its some bloody Italian brand which is as tempremental as any Italian you have ever known and the manufacturers keep telling us when things don't work "No one else has had that problem"...bloody hell ...hope you CAN find a decent brand i fugure they are built to collapse two days after the warranty expires!

madretz said...

I'm sooo sorry about your frustration but YOU are sooo funny!!! I think my inlaws had that model for only a year or 2 and got rid of it for whatever reason. We've had our kenmore for 16 years, still going strong. it might be a "Lady Kenmore" but i don't think they call them that anymore.