There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Sweet Charile and a SweetPea update

Today marks the first anniversary of losing Charlie. I love him as much today as I did the first day we brought him home, maybe more. He was my best companion, confidant and the doggie love of my life. Kiss, kiss Charlie.

SweetPea and the kittens; what a mess. Hindsight is of course 20/20. If I had only, only, only. She is pregnant again...crap. She is getting less and less friendly. It didn't help that I tried to get her into the garage for safe keeping before the surgery that was scheduled for today and she freaked, sliced the crap out of my arm, I dropped her and she was gone for 2 days. Surgery cancelled. She came back for a snack of Pine Siskin last night and she acted almost like she was going to let me pet her and then she landed on a piece of wood the wrong way, slipped and freaked and not a fuzzy hair to be seen since.

I bought a Have-A-Heart trap and will do my best to get the kittens. I have called the Humane Society and they will do a "Pediatric Spay" for some $$$$ and then maybe they will be more attractive for adoption. I have only seen 3 babies but several hawks over the last few days. Yup, just a mess. I was so upset yesterday when Pea ran off again. But, then I sat down and tried to figure out why I was so upset. I think that this is the very first time I have not been able to charm a cat. Yes, she found us and was friendly. Yes, there was a 3 week period when I thought she was happily settled next door having maternity care when in fact she was under a junker car taking care of herself and the kittens. Yes, I let too much time go by before acting on my plan...but that is the hindsight stuff that I can't do one little thing about. So, I will set the trap tonight and hope for the best.

12 comments:

Shari said...

Aww. What a cutie. Sorry for your loss. We lost our puppy over a year ago. Our Brandy was only 18 months old. Still haven't replaced her yet. We don't know if we want another Sheltie or just look into another type. In the meantime, it'd be chaotic to housebreak a puppy and juggle everything else on top of it. I believe one has to really spend a lot of time with a dog just like a child needs attention. I don't have that right now.

Thanks for sharing.

Michele said...

Very very cute!
I'm sorry u are having trouble seeing my blog. My pictures are quite large and being on dial up do take a while to load up, that is what I am told by others that are on dial up and that is why they sneak away to work to look at blogs... hehehe.... I hope one day u will be able to get on the blogs much faster but until then, thanks for dropping in from time to time. You are a true friend. Congrats on your one year blogging!

Sandy said...

When our Bonnie developed breast cancer and it was time to let her go, my husband and I cried together. She was our first dog after the kids left home and our replacement child. That's when I learned a heart could break over a 4-legged friend. I still cry when I read Rainbow Bridge. A toast to your wonderful Charlie and SweetPea, quit being such a cat!

kenju said...

Charlie looked a lot like my best dog - Kippy. She was smaller.

I hope you catch the kittens and then Pea. I know how it feels not to be able to conquer a cat...LOL

Middle Child said...

So sorry about your dog. They are such warm and wonderful mates...

more cowbell said...

What a great smile Charlie had. He puts me in mind of Batman. I bet he was a great friend. Sorry about Sweet Pea ... that's sad.

Keshi said...

awwww so darn cute! I love dogs.

Keshi.

Paul said...

Hey there. I posted a picture of your "namesake" on my new Hats blog. She's cute, too.

Blogging for a year and 388 posts! That's more than once a day, Rosemary. You're good! And you have a good blog.

cs said...

Hey Ro: Yup you gotta' get SweatPea honey...the critters will get all the babies and you're right; a big mess will get out of hand. We had do the same in San Diego with farrel cats in our backyard---idiot neighbors/druggies next door had cats and never got them fixed and up and moved and left them for all of us to deal with. So HHM got a "kind-critter" trap and it worked great. We made tons of trips to the shelter. Even caught a few skunks from the canyons coming up. Keep on it sister--you're on the right track with her.

Your Charlie is a precious one. They teach us more about love don't they? Little stinkers just rule the heart.

Lorraine said...

Snuggles for Charlie.

That saucy cat. Can't keep her pants on, apparently. Good luck.

Auld Hat said...

This makes me sad. (flumps away)

jp said...

Keep us posted on the felines, Ro.