There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Friday, October 12, 2007

Countdown

I just can't even think straight at the moment, so I thought I would start a Qatar/Hong Konk countdown update post for a few days....

12:47 PM: TEST : If one US dollar= 3.64 Qatar Riyals and Steve's hotel room at the Marriott Doha costs 1499.00 QaR per night, how much is that in US dollars....and does he really want to spend that much per night for a bed only, no high speed hookup...he has to buy a "card", no free breakfast but they do have a laundry service that he can pay for. Of course all of this will be expensed but still.......

12:06 PM: UPDATE TO THE UPDATE: The contract for Qatar was emailed to Steve.....unsigned by the folks in Qatar. What does this mean? I don't have a clue.

Today: 10/12/07: Qatar is on at this moment in time. International cell phone on the way, A-Med emergency care card on the way, travel itinerary firm ($14,402.16 for the Qatar/Hong Konk trip), talking about throw away underwear versus having the hotel wash it. Steve thought if we just bought enough for the whole trip he would bring it home for me to wash....NO, NOT....can you imagine...of course you can't. No one seems to know if Steve already has a Visa from the travel agency or if he has to get one at the Doha airport. We do know that he will have to obtain an exit permission letter from the hospital in Doha to leave the country. I have already registered with and notified the American Consulates in Qatar and Hong Kong and filed his itinerary with both of them even though his company says that is unnecessary. Hello! He is going to be in Saudi Arabia! The last time I looked that was in the Middle East....the place I CAN'T GET A VISA TO VISIT BECAUSE IT IS UNNECESSARY TOURIST TRAVEL.

As far as me meeting up with him in Hong Konk...if we had figured all of this out in the beginning I might have been able to go, but with all of the changes and the fact that this Qatar thing might flop, every day that we waited to make arrangements for me added 10,000 frequent flyer miles to the trip and we are now at a number that Steve doesn't have in his bank with United Airlines that would cover that airline and the code share airlines like Lufthansa and Qatar Airlines.

The Qatar trip may still fall apart. There is no contract signed and Steve was told yesterday to leave the international cell phone on at each and every airport...Spokane, Denver, Wash/Dulles and even Doha. My thoughts? What a F****** MESS.

9 comments:

Joan said...

Once upon a time I used to think that folks who traveled for a living had really exciting lives. Now I'm thinking I was one lucky woman to have to sit at the same desk every hour of every day of every week...

Auld Hat said...

Yeah, this has totally blown my romantic image of the jet setter lifestyle. It has replaced it with an image of you poking out from a giant load of underwear laundry. HAH!

kenju said...

I used to think work travel would be exciting too, but mr. kenju hated it. He only had to leave the country once - for Israel - but it was a devil of a trip.

The cost? Who knows. I'd go online to Marriott.com and see if you can find out anything there.

rosemary said...

All: Steve has done domestic flying for a living for 18 years. I have always said it was a good thing we weren't trying to start a family. He is so very tired of it but now he is stuck. As for the conversion, it is a little over 400 bucks a night.

Nunnie's Attic said...

All I can say is YUCK! I hope everything works out the way you want...

Love,
Julie

Sandy said...

The math was the easiest part of this to understand - what a mess.
Hard to make plans when you don't know what to plan for. I'm going to have a margarita and relax now.
Suggest you do the same. :-)

Lorraine said...

I need a tablet and a lie down now. I really feel for you both Ro.

more cowbell said...

Usually the corporations take pretty good care of folks over there, but I'm with you -- always file with the consulate/embassies. And yeah, expense out the underwear washing. Who needs more inconvenience on top of all that?

Middle Child said...

I have trouble organising my best mate to go out to the Wauchope cemetary each Sunday,..no idea about international travel...