There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Another good-bye

We have had some tough days since we got home from Vegas.......

Our sweet Drakie died today. She was 16. This is the cat that has gone through so much this last year...thyroid surgery, kidney failure and multiple medications including subcutaneous fluids several times a week to keep her going......for us.

Drake is my son's cat. She was all he wanted when he graduated from college.....not a computer, not a trip to Hawaii; he wanted a cat. We searched every pet store and shelter within a 30 mile radius of our home to find the perfect kitten. She was a feral kitten and had been turned into a pet store across the street from the railroad tracks where Drake and her sister had been dumped. She was full of fleas, ear mites and undernourished....but......she did the paw-on-the-glass-crying/miaow-help-me-get-the-hell-outta-this-place and my son was in love.


She was a vibrant, athletic, sleek, adorable, I'll let you know when I want to be petted kitten and cat; quintessential. She was so very black that trying to get a good picture of her was almost impossible and she always seemed above having her picture taken; just looking at me should be enough to dazzle you she seemed to be telling us.


When we were getting ready to move to Idaho full time in 1998, Drake (who is named after Perry Mason's side kick, Paul Drake; PM was my son's favorite TV show back then) was already a part of our cat family and to have separated her from Fuzzy her BFF would have been hard on both of them. So, she moved to Idaho with us.

I have loved this cat beyond words or comprehension. Some of those feelings stem from my love for Gil. There was a rat named Dee that captured my daughter's heart along with a dog named Fudge and a hamster called Bright Eyes that my oldest son had for about a year. These creatures also weaseled their way into my heart; maybe not the rat so much but I cried when she died. To see how my children took care of these animals and loved them was enough for me to love them as well.


We tried to keep Drake as comfortable as possible the last few months. I bought her a heated bed, tried every kidney sparing food made, adjusted medications as needed and one day when she was feeling puny carried her on my shoulder while I dusted and then washed the kitchen floor.


When we returned from Las Vegas it was apparent she had gone down hill fast. The vet tech I have come in to care for the cats when we travel had warned me she was declining. She had not eaten since Saturday, could hardly get to the water bowl by her bed, was pottying on the carpet but only dime size output and was sleeping all of the time. Since last Thursday we had given her SubQ fluids every day and I tried to comfort her as much as I could, but she was tired and she was miserable.


While Drake has been in Idaho for the last 8 years, my son has missed her. He always asked about her and I would send him pictures of those few captured moments when Drake was not on guard. He will get her little paw print in clay. I will get one too. I am having her cremated and will bring her home again. I love you Drakie and miss you more than you will ever know.







24 comments:

Lorraine said...

Rosie, Rosie, Rosie. Oh my gosh. It's like she and Phoebe were in cahoots or something...so much the same story here. I am sooo dreadfully sorry for your loss. The only thing that is keeping me from completely losing it right now is the thought that Phoebe and Drake are all hooked up now and having kitty cocktails with St. Francis and frisking around in their new, all healed cat bodies.

I so feel your pain, RoRo and I wish I could give you a big hug right now!

Sling said...

Dammit!..I am so very sorry to hear this rosie..There is extreme suckage going on in Bloggertown today,as lorraine's beloved cat Phoebe died as well...I'm sure you will miss Drake very much.

Auld Hat said...

I'm calling you.

kenju said...

I am so sorry, Rosemary. I know how much you loved her.

Nunnie's Attic said...

Shit, I just stopped crying from reading Lorraine's post and looking at my healthy cats and then I hear of your news. I am so sorry honey. I feel terrible because all I know to do to help ease your pain is pray for you. Pray for Lorraine and pray that your kitties are romping around with each other in St. Francis' playground. I'm giving you a big hug and kiss now. I'm going to go pray now.

Love,
Julie

Mom said...

I'm so sorry. It just hurts all over.

jan said...

We can grow to love them so much during the short time on earth we have them. I'm sorry for your loss and happy for the time you had with Drake.

Auld Hat said...

okay. We've talked. We've cried. We even somehow managed to laugh. I know you'll be alright now.
Love you.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Oh Rosemary, i am crying while i am trying to write this, as i know how much you all are hurting. We love these guys so much that it is like losing one of our children. I dread the day that we lose our beloved TC who is 20 + yrs old. So i sit here and share your pain.

panthergirl said...

OH........ I am so sorry!!!!! It really doesn't matter how old our pets are when they die, the pain cuts so deeply. We feel like we've dodged a bullet this time with Kelso, but I know that he's not going to live forever and I dread the day that I have to experience what you're going through. I hope you're as ok as can be expected. Stay close to people who understand...

xoxox

PS: I loved the story of your mother and the car!

Jennie said...

So sorry Rosemary!

Rhea said...

Oh, it's so sad to hear when a pet goes. I hope you are OK!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I'm so sorry. She will live on in your memories and just think of how empty the last 16 years would have been without her! That's what I think of when I think of my favorite cat when she passed away - I got 10 years of her loving self. (((Hugs)))

madretz said...

Oh i am so sad for your loss and the tears are just flowing uncontrollably. I am sending you a great big hug from the bay area. The kitty in my profile picture will be playing with Drakie in kitty heaven. Another black cat to chase butterflies with.

more cowbell said...

Aw hell, Rosemary. I'm very sorry you're going through this pain of losing your kitty friend. They really are family. No words will help, I'm just thinking of you and your son. Good thoughts to you all.

Joan said...

I am so sorry for your loss. It's obvious that Drake was a very important part of your family and she will be sorely missed. She was one lucky kitty to have found such a warm and loving family and I'm sure she is there with you all in spirit. {{hugs}}

Dan said...

Sweet little Drake. My heart goes out to you Rosemarie. You loved her so much. And you gave her a terrific life. Hugs.

Cazzie!!! said...

I am so very sorry, we had a cat named Cindy and I still miss her to this day :(

Ex-Shammickite said...

Bye Bye Drakie, you know that your human family will miss you lots.

Rosie... our Dixiecat left us the same way, age 19, quite a few years ago, I still miss her, and keep her picture pinned to the kitchen notice board! Silly me. So I know how you all feel.

Ex-Shammickite said...

I feel really stupid sitting here in front of the computer with tears rolling down my cheeks.
As I said before, silly me.

Red7Eric said...

Ro, so so so so sorry to hear this sad news. It seems cosmically unjust that our dogs and cats have life spans so much shorter than ours, that saying goodbye to them becomes a part of the lives of all with animal families. ((hugs))

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Drakie. My cat is like my baby to me. I can understand your pain and your sorrow. I will give you the biggest hug that my brain can muster for you right now... (((HUG)))

Middle Child said...

What a lovely comfortable bed you made for your cat. How much love did you give to your cat...and now you will miss him so much. I am so sorry. The love we have for our animal friends is so precious and pure...we give to them but they give sooo much more back to us. Take care okay

gina said...

Rosemary, I am a terrible friend. I am so sorry for being so belated in sending my condolences to you. I know how it feels to lose a member of your pet family - it sucks! I hope Molly has told you why I've been so absent. I miss you, and I'm so, so sorry about Drake!