There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Memories of Christmas past....a really long time ago!

I was going through old pictures again. I found some Christmas ones that are really pretty neat.

This one is quite "Christmasy" with a picnic setting in bright sun, don't you think? That's my mom in the background on the left with the dark hair. Sitting with her is my cousin Caroline. My Aunt Rowena (Caroline's mother) is sitting in the foreground with the sun hat on......nothing says Season's Greetings like a sun hat and a little sketch of a fireplace and holiday decorations! This was probably 1943 or 1944. I wasn't born yet.
This is my first Christmas picture...wasn't I cute? See the shoes? I wore that style until I went into first grade and had to wear a uniform and saddle oxfords. They were called black patent bow shoes. I loved them. This was probably taken in 1946.

I found this letter with the picture. Seems I had asked for a dollie. While Santa says he is not sure he has enough dolls, I got Sandy that year, my very favorite dollie ever.




17 comments:

kenju said...

I love seeing the old pics, Rosemary. I'd love to know what you were telling Santa!!

Sling said...

you got an actual letter from Santa??...Priceless! :)

Lorraine said...

Oh, ding dong! That photo of you with Santa? I'm kvelling.

madretz said...

Christmas in Southern California, gotta love it.
That's a priceless picture of you with Santa. It's the essence of the Magic of Christmas.

Auld Hat said...

I hope you realize the treasure you have right there. I am giddy and jealous at the same time. In fact, it sort of feels like indigestion, be right back!
(hahahahah, I am so damn tacky! but, you love me so there you have it)

Ex-Shammickite said...

Beautiful letter and lovely picture of you as a child deep in conversation with Santa. Happy memories, eh?

Lilli & Nevada said...

Oh my gosh Rosemary you have kept a lot of stuff, this is priceless to your children and grandkids.

jan said...

I love the earnest way you seem to be explaining everything to Santa. Making sure he had all his instructions. You were such a doll yourself.

jp said...

Not enough dollies? What kind of crap was he trying to pull? He's got a whole warehouse full of 'em.

more cowbell said...

Precious! I'm sure you were a very good girl that year, with just enough naughty to make Santa smile.

Speck said...

What I little cutie on Santa's lap!

I love the old pictures too. Will you post some more pretty please???

Mom said...

Wonderful pictures! I love the letter from Santa.
I grew up in southern California so a picnic seems like a lovely holiday picture. A sunny picnic seems more inviting than all of your snow.

Kimberly Ann said...

What a great letter! Imagine what you could get on eBay for an actual letter from Santa! Just kidding, :-)

Joan said...

Christmas here in Southern California sure hasn't changed much. Palm trees, sun and Santa...not exactly a postcard moment. Sigh...

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I love the pictures and letters. I agree with the others: what a treasure!

Jennie said...

So sweet, Rosemary.

Middle Child said...

I love your old photos...Rosemary we are becomming history - with our black and white photos and strannge hairdos and clothes...lovely in a way.

A letter from Santa...I must have been a little barbarian - I never wrote to him once.