There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Thursday, December 20, 2007

More memories from Christmas past.

Here we have the 1950's white aluminum tree with all gold ornaments. We put it up one year only. My mother was a tinsel fanatic and this one was ....well.....just all tinsel I guess. No fun. See that adorable dollie? I ruined her by taking her in the bathtub with me; she was made of cloth. See the TV in the far left corner? It had a "remote control box" that had a cord that could reach all they way into the dinning room. It had dials for channel changing and volume control and the box was probably 9 inches square and 3 inches deep. My mother loved that TV.

My mother was the only person that put tinsel on the tree. It was done one strand at a time and the strands all hung at even lengths. It took her days to finish. As they fell off, I would throw them onto the tree. Really irritated her. She eventually got over that obsession and good thing because my brother was a monster child and undecorated the tree as fast as my mom decorated it.

This was in 1968. I remember buying that outfit with money I had made cutting hair for some of my mother's friends. I was in cosmetology school and this was my Joey Heatherton look....I know...who is Joey Heatherton. I am thrilled at getting something in that envelope, but I can't remember what it was. My hair actually looks shiny. Must be the lighting because I had bleached it to destruction to get it WHITER THAN WHITE aka platinum. My hair is naturally white now and I hate it. Go Figure.





12 comments:

jan said...

My mother was a tinsel nazi too. One strand at a time and they all had to be free at the ends.

Love the silver do and I know who Joey Heatherton is.

Rhea said...

Hi, friend, I wanted to wish you a happy, happy holiday!

kenju said...

I remember Joey Heatherton (gag me) and I love my white hair - why don't you?

rosemary said...

Judy: I work harder at keeping my hair from turning yellow than I ever did at keeping it blonde. We have well water with tons of iron that even the best softener and filter can't remove.

Speck said...

I know who Joey Heatherton is too.

I also recognize that shiny hair. It's from the gallons of Aqua Net used to hold the do in place.

Joan said...

Yes...I know who Joey Heatherton is too but I think you look more like Lesley Gore in the photo...although I think Lesley's hair was a little more yellow. But, oh yes, I do like the look!

Mom said...

I just quit putting tinsel on the tree. Way too much work for me.
I love my white hair. Each gray stand has a story of survival. I wear it proudly.

Lorraine said...

Dude, I totally know who Joey Heatherton is. And you rock that look.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Oh i love those old photos, and the tree is wonderful. I was one of those with the tinsel and if i could to this day if tinsel goes on its one strand at a time. Don't find tinsel too much anymore do ya?

more cowbell said...

love the smile in this pic.

Jennie said...

Love the old pictures...my mom had a tinsel thing for a while too. She had high anxiety when we helped her put it on the tree...one strand at a time, neatly and all that. My kids don't even know what tinsel is.

Middle Child said...

We always had a branch off the trees in our back yard... and Dad did ours...he loved it... lucky in dad and lucky in husband that way... you were a bit of a looker......I was 16 in '68....so not that much difference...