There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Friday, December 28, 2007

Two CD reviews.

I rarely "review" or mention a movie or music I like other than Joni Mitchell and Jackson. I am no good at reviews and usually the most you will get is "Gee, it was really good and I liked it!" Most of you know my two passions are books/reading and music. I am picky with my reading; I am almost a fiction purist. I love all kinds of music...pretty much every genre has something good about it, so I am gonna go out on a limb and make an attempt to review two CD's we got for Christmas. Here goes......



The first CD is an untitled one by Angela Baldwin, my adopted blog daughter. We received her music as a Christmas gift all wrapped in a red package with Love Angela on the tag. I had heard a few of her pieces on her blog but had not heard a whole collection of her piano compositions. This gentle, dynamic, soothing, dramatic, sad, alive, mystical, realistic music made my heart feel full.....it is a total expression of Angela the woman and child. The titles are reflections of her personality; Hold Me Now, Ebb and Flow, Gypsy Eyes, Reverence, The Faerie Queen and Amore Mio are some of the pieces. Angela plays the piano as if she was born with the sounds tinkling in her brain and emerging through her fingertips. To say she is talented is a gross understatement. She is blessed, so very blessed with talent. I downloaded the CD Christmas Day to my iPod and have had my ear buds in constantly since then! I. L.O.V.E. T.H.I.S. M.U.S.I.C! Check out her blog as she may have a YouTube of her music or it may be linked on her side bar. Sorry Angela for not asking for permission to post your beautiful face.


The next CD is Amy Winehouse Back to Black. My daughter gave this CD to Steve, but I kind of "stole" it to download to my iPod and have had it on the CD player in between listening to Angela. When I was trying to think of how to describe this CD the only words I could come up with were Contemporary 60's. This is a powerhouse voice, unforgettable melodies with stunning, stinging lyrics. Amy is a troubled young woman and has recently been in the news for problems with drugs, public intoxication, issues in Norway and falling apart because her husband is jailed in a witness tampering case. She tells her story in this CD.....with blunt honesty. You will need to get past her language and just hear her (my new favorite word is fuckery....sorry). Amazon described her as a cross between Billie Holiday and Lauren Hill and I'll add a sprinkle of Diana Ross. I can't stay still when I am playing her music...I have to move to the beat; I know I am singing annoyingly loud and off key...but I love her music. She has incredible talent and if she can just get on track in her personal life she can be a NAME!

10 comments:

panthergirl said...

I love love love the Amy Winehouse CD. My daughter turned me on to her last year (and I had been reading Perez Hilton's praise as well). What's sad is that she'll probably not live a very long life unless she cleans up.
Fast.

I'll check out Angela! Thanks for the reco's... and Happy New Year!!!

jan said...

Thanks for the recommendations, Rosemary. I'm always looking for something from us "golden oldies" type of people to enjoy.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I love Amy Winehouse too. I get a kick out of her big old beehive hair do too (I wear a "hump", not as big as hers, though).

kenju said...

I hear a lot about Amy, but I have not heard her music. Maybe I'll check it out.

Auld Hat said...

Awww Mom. You rock.

Sling said...

I have listened to the talented Ms. Angela's CD every evening since I received my copy.She is absolutely masterful!..
"Ebb and flow" is my personal fave.

Mom said...

Angela's music sounds heavenly. I would love to hear more. I will have to check out Amy's music.
I was given one CD, Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. It is some powerful music.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Thanks Rosemary, i guess i am really out of it because i have not heard of her. Geesh i think i need a life other than this puter.

Ex-Shammickite said...

Rosie.... did you get the lentil soup recipe?

more cowbell said...

Well, of course it's Hatalicious. I'll check out Amy. I got Shine for Christmas, thanks to the Bohemian, yay!