There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Sunday, January 27, 2008

Same old, same old me.



It started snowing at 11 AM Saturday. It stopped last night at about 11:30. Steve and the neighbor measured 22 inches in our driveway mid morning Sunday. They helped each other clear our respective driveways and pullouts. Steve had the tractor and the walk behind, the neighbor had a truck with a blade. As they left our house to start clearing at the neighbors, they stopped at each mailbox along the way and cleared it out as well as the berms left by the plow driver. They are good men. Steve was out all day Sunday trying to get the snow relocated so we could get out if we needed to. It was a useless battle. As he would make a swipe with the snow thrower, his path was immediately covered.




We lost power Sunday morning at 6:30 as well. It's funny....we were deeply asleep but knew the moment the power was out and woke up. I know the power providers number by heart so I reached over to the bedside phone and called to notify them. Power outages are common here in all kinds of weather.

We are prepared for outages...water stored, candles ready, don't open the fridge unless absolutely necessary and wait. I can do without the lights and the TV, and our propane heaters will still flame and give off enough heat to keep us warm even without the blower. What I can't deal with is no water or the ability to shower and flush the toilets. We have well water and the pump works on electricity. The wait was 3 hours and then the familiar buzz and the fridge and heater fan powered up and I dashed to do the flushing!!


More snow is coming. The power is still out in a lot of places with lines down and transformers buried in feet of snow. A plane slid off the runway in Spokane, there are car slide offs all over the place as well. Every plow in Bonner County is out clearing the roads and they will be out 24/7 as of now. This is the most snow I have seen in Sandpoint in the 10 years we have lived here. On TV they are reminiscing about the winters of '89 and '96/97. I am thinking I have allowed the snow to paralyze me.

Unnecessary driving is a bad thing today. It is a good day to stay home. But what about all of the other days that I stayed home just because it was winter? I used to drive to work at the Library every day. I had a job, I was needed and I did what I had to do to get there. I shoveled, cranked up the thrower, sawed a tree into pieces because it had fallen across the driveway, and got on my way. Being alone never stopped me in the past. I took myself out to a movie and dinner a lot.....in Idaho...in winter. I need a serious attitude adjustment and maybe even some serious re-instruction in driving in the snow.


I do live a small life. But within that small life should be importance. Steve depends on me for certain things and I depend on him too. The animals are my responsibility. I take good care of them and find enormous enjoyment in the daily minutia of cat and dog life.

But, I haven't read many books lately, I haven't just looked out a window and taken in the beauty of what winter brings....frost on the tree branches, the wonder of individual snow flakes, a squirrel scurrying across the berms not leaving one little track in its wake. Attitude adjustment 101, I would like to enroll.





16 comments:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I'd be out of my noggin if I had to deal with what you all have been through! Oh, I hope we are all in for an early Spring! :-)

Chris said...

That is a LOT of snow! I wouldn't be able to cope. I couldn't imagine driving in that. I think you live a nice life, but if you think there is room for more or improvement good luck finding what you are looking for!

jan said...

You do live in a lovely place without crowds of people and traffic jams. Take solace in that and hope for spring thaws.

Auld Hat said...

"...within that small life should be importance"

That is a great line.
Love you (:

kenju said...

I'd be out of my noggin too, Rosemary. I could not deal with all that. We had 22" of snow all at one time about 5-6 years ago and it completely paralyzed the city. We lost out power for 5-6 days and it was horrible. If that were the norm around here, I'd have to move.

Violet said...

What the heck?!? Send some of that snow this way. I could use a few days off from work!

jp said...

If I was a kid I would come and build all kinds of cool tunnels and forts and stuff.

But I'm not a kid anymore and now I hate snow.

Ex-Shammickite said...

Now that I don't have to do battle on the highways on my way to work every day, I don't mind the snow at all. In fact I rather enjoy shovelling it. But I always worry about my kids on their way to work on really snowy mornings.

Sandy said...

I get cabin fever when it rains two days in a row. But living a small life? Look at all the people you touch - a small life writ large.

Mom said...

Your life does not seem small to me. I love your stories and your wit and the courage you show coping with life - both winter and summer. Keep sharing your stories with the rest of us.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Rosemary,
WE are heading home now and son called last night to tell us we had a ft of snow not looking forward to going there. we are sitting at Denny's next to motel with wifi while the wind is blowing us back and forth, it has been windy ever since we left Q

Cazzie!!! said...

Oh wow, that is so daned amazing! I am going to show the kids these imaes tomorrow morning before I head off for work. The will say "wow!" It is still Summer here and set to heat up again over the coming days for the beginning of the school year.

Joan said...

Yikes...more snow?!?!?! You and Steve are amazingly resourceful dealing with all that white stuff. I'm sure cabin fever is a normal winter syndrome in Idaho and, if you do decide to go out, please please be careful. Stay warm and safe.

Jennie said...

The fun my kids would have in that snow, I can't tell you! One day here, there were flakes falling, you could see them only against something dark like a pine tree and Sean grabbed his coat and announced he was going out to play in the snow!

I'm with you on the "living a small life with importance" thing. Sometimes it's hard to see the importance. Yesterday I cleaned out 8 full bags of clothes and shoes and I'm still flying high about that. It's like I won a big account or got published or something. :)

more cowbell said...

I hear you. If it makes you feel any better (which it probably won't) all your snow pics have made me realize I am the one who needs a serious attitude readjustment, as the endless grayness and rain has put me in an endless gray funk. Quitcher bitchin' Cowbell, I could have 22" of snow, right? I too liked the bit about having importance in small lives. Because our lives are big to us, right?

alphawoman said...

My gosh, this makes me so glad we moved 250 miles south!!