There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A visitor...

Seems we had a moose come through last night. We had seen tracks way back on the trails a while back, but with all of the snow fall we haven't been able to clear them for walking. Guess Moosie was tired of traipsing through six feet of snow too. Moosie sampled some bird seed, sunflower seeds and knocked a suet cage down. I wear a size 7 boot. Steve took this trying to show how big Moosie might be....I'd vote for big.


The snow here is about 3 feet deep, but Moosie hit ice leaving this perfect print.

Moosie moseyed down the driveway looking for a snack. Moose rarely go more than 5 miles beyond their birth place, so this Moosie is surveying familiar places I bet.

We had a furious snow storm come through last night that lasted for about an hour. This morning the glorious sun is out...HALLELUJAH!!!!!
I don't want to jink myself but......my tooth feels better today.......I now have a cold, but that is a fair exchange for a pain free tooth.


17 comments:

Chris said...

Oh I love mooses (is that right?). I wouldn't want to get in ones way though. By his hoofprints I bet he was huge.

jp said...

Are you sure it was a Moose? I'm thinking Bigfoot.

more cowbell said...

Oh moose are so cool. did you get the clove oil?

jan said...

Now you'll have to buy Purina Moose Chow....

Unless it IS Bigfoot.

rosemary said...

chris: Sounds good to me, mooses. I stay far away from them...they are ginormous! even the babies.

JP: Yep, I looked in my Prints in the Earth book when we first moved here and now I know lots of prints when I see them...their scat too.

cowbell: Clove Oil resting nicely in the bathroom. The dentist gave me some stuff, but the clove tastes much better and works just as well. The dental stuff smells like my breath tastes after getting Novacaine. Thank you for the rescue!

Mom said...

Your snow is beautiful, but after time in Florida i think the sun is glorious.
Are you going to adopt that moose to join your menagerie?

Joan said...

The highlight of our Alaska trip two years ago was the chance to see 13 moose during our vacation. And you have one right in your own backyard. Lucky Rosemary!

Sling said...

Now there is an animal I would love to see in the wild!..Never have.
Thanks for the pix of the moose hoof btw..I recognize Elk and deer,even antelope well enough,but this is new.

Sandy said...

Makes me miss Northern Exposure. I don't want to jinx you either but am glad your tooth is better.

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

Moose are pretty awesome animals... we get quite a few up here as well!!
Rocky Mountain Retreat

Evil Twin's Wife said...

That is so cool! We get loads of deer, rabbits, chipmunks and a load of squirrels, but no Moose. :-(

madretz said...

Yay for the moosie!! I saw 2 bull moose for the first time every last summer in Alaska. I was thrilled. HUMONGOUS creatures! Wouldn't want to mess them one of them.

Ex-Shammickite said...

You're right about moose being ginormous. I drove round a corner in Newfoundland and there was a cow moose standing in the middle of the road! By the time I got close, she had wandered into the bush, but believe me, she was HUGE!

Lilli & Nevada said...

Oh how nice that you had this nice visitor,
We hear the coyotes at night and even someone said that they saw a few so have to watch out for them.

more cowbell said...

Did you say scat? Vote or Scat!!

kenju said...

I'm glad your tooth feels better.Whyd ya have to go and get a cold for anyway?

Middle Child said...

Never seen a moose but it figures... never been outside of Australia either... they must be pretty big... do they get bolshoi at times or are they pretty peaceful... by the way I noticed the photo with the pink love heart around it on the right hand side...thats really lovely