There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Update # 459,552

Update to the update....yep, again. Just when I thought things just couldn't get much worse...they did. Steve was drilling the hole for the 6x6x12 post that was going in to support the dishes and he hit a water line. Sweetwater Drilling will be here at 9AM tomorrow for a $750.00 fix-it job. Fuckery, pure fuckery.

It continues to snow. We had another storm come through last night and dump about 10 inches (see, size does matter). Another storm is coming tonight into tomorrow.

We got the roof issues cleared up on the pole building but not before Steve got stuck again while making the trail to the roof area. The neighbor across the street was out plowing his driveway and we asked for help. He slid into the path, then chained up and pulled Steve out. The neighbor has what Steve calls "A real man's tractor" so you can guess what's coming next. The neighbor was able to nudge just enough snow to get it moving off the roof and then he got up onto the roof, cut up the tree that had fallen and shoveled what snow was left. Good neighbor and yes we paid him.

We have called around to price chains for the tractor and the let's get the folks with prices in the disaster is $1000.00 for the back tires and the front is $300.00 but those will have to be cut down from regular chains at $70.00 a tire. Why are we looking for chains now? Because Steve slid on the icy snow in the back of the house and the tractor landed in a window. The glass is intact but cracked badly.

Putting all of this into perspective is important at the moment because we fear the worst is yet to come. With the glory that is spring will come the melt and absolute flooding.

We have had a lot of snow. More is coming. We have really had to toughen up. I have water stored everywhere in buckets, empty litter containers and I have a trash can filled and sitting in the downstairs shower. We are well supplied with canned and dry foods like crackers and snacks. We can put our milk in the snow and probably some of our meat in a container out there as well should the power go out again.

On the positive side of this Steve was not hurt when he slid into the window. He stayed home this week because he knew it was only going to get worse and didn't want to leave me alone. Then the tornados hit Little Rock where he was supposed to be this week and we knew God had sent us a message. Really.

We have had the what-are-we-going-to-do-when-we-really-get-too-old-for-this-stuff-and-can we-afford-to-pay-someone-to-come-in-and-help-us talk. Actually, we are wondering if we are too old now. It is hard living in Idaho during the winter months even when the weather is mild. Yes, this has been a disaster year. Yes, we are alive, warm and Ok at the moment. But, this is not the worst winter in recorded history.

Yet, this is our home. No, it is not the place I envisioned living, but Idaho is Steve's bliss and Steve is mine. I have found bliss in Idaho too; the sweet violets of spring are beautiful, the wildlife magnificent, trees that can tell stories when the wind blows and moves their branches, neighbors that give without holding their hands out and a peace not found many other places. I miss my children and grandchildren but we have a place for them to visit and enjoy here and they do.

I have bitched and moaned about not having TV and wireless, but many days that is my only contact with living breathing mammals that don't bark or miaow. I miss reading blogs and emailing (you have no idea how excited I get when I see I have comments on my blog), but Steve needs the computer for work and by the time he is through in the evening I am exhausted too and just want to go to bed. Dial up is so very, very slow and I wonder now how I managed to be patient enough just to log on! Loading pictures takes 15-20 minutes and most of the time it fails. Add to that an aging computer that freezes up every 15 minutes. DirectTV will be here Saturday and we have an appointment with a flake company to come out the 16th and install the wireless dish. We had to hire an excavator to come with a backhoe to clear the area for the dishes......we do have our priorities in place right?

So, we will begin to take stock of our lives and make decisions in the next few years about our future. Hopefully the housing market will rebound and if the decision is made to sell our place it won't languish on the market for 2 or 3 years. While I joke about age and abilities, the fact is I will be 64 and Steve 62. My mind says I am 30, but my body tells the truth.

19 comments:

Joyce said...

I love reading your blog, you live such an amazing life. I just hate the winter and after spending over a decade living in an old cottage on the North Yorkshire Moors in the Yorkshire Dales, when the winter snows came in January and could last until March, I am really pleased to be living in South West Scotland in a much milder climate. I hope you are warm and cosy and have cupboards full of food to enjoy. Take care.

jan said...

As much as I do enjoy reading your adventures in Idaho, I agree that you might want to rethink the winters there. You have to spend so much time just surviving that the joy of living has to take a backseat and at a certain age (that we both have reached) we only have 40 or 50 more of those years left.

paul maurice martin said...

I just saw your comment on another blog but I doubt whoever's elected will even move mountains of snow.

I would have refrained from such a nonsequitor on your discussion thread but I see your comments link reads "more snow" so I figure this is a theme for you...

Mom said...

"Idaho is Steve's bliss and Steve is mine."
I love that line.
Idaho winters are long and hard and sometimes beautiful, but I think you have your priorities figured out. When the time comes that the two of you need to move to a warmer climate you will know and you will go together, so life will be good.
I love reading your blog, so thanks for going through the hassle of dial-up.

Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandy said...

Lordy, lordy, lordy Miss Rosemary! Even going through all you're going through you have the soul and heart of a poet - albeit a slightly frozen one. Warm hugs.

Sling said...

You are an inspiration rosie!
I know it's hard to cope with the elements,but I still believe that that is living.
Just go to Los Angeles for a few days,and see what those people think is living.

kenju said...

I swear I don't know how you do it now. I am glad to know that Steve is with you and didn't go on the trip. You have a nice neighbor - thank God he was around to help. Sorry about the water line.

Ex-Shammickite said...

These updates to updates of yours are getting worse and worse.
Have you considered saying to hell with it all and booking a couple of tickets to Hawaii for the rest of the winter?

Lilli & Nevada said...

Oh Rosemary that is one heck of a lot of snow, and we thought we had a lot. But that is what we can expect when we live in this kind of climate. Never know how bad it will be. People have told us that we havn't seen snow since we have been here.. We thought maybe this would be the yr. But still not as much as they have had in 92
I know it is time for us to get out and do something different. We keep hopeing for a buyer very soon.

Lorraine said...

Yikes, Ro. Seriously. I wish you could truck some of that snow out to places where they could use it. Like the desert.

Hang in there, babe.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

If the snow wouldn't have it buried, I'd probably have a "For Sale" sign in the front yard now. (just kidding!). you all have certainly had it rough this winter. Prayers for you!

PinkAcorn said...

HI there, I only wish I was up in Cocolalla right now to see the snow. It's a beautiful area. But, I can't imagine living without my satellite for both TV and computer up there... I did the dial up thing but it was slower than molasses. My hubby is right now helping the neighbors pull a "manly" tractor out of a ditch then he will be helping our neighbors who came in from Iowa get up to their barn. They can't even get there with snow shoes, so this is a real eye opener for them.

Kimberly Ann said...

No matter what you guys decide, you'll have each other and that is what really counts (cue the Hallmark channel theme music). I know, corny, but true.

more cowbell said...

Oh holy hell, Rosemary. That's awful. It's like you've got This Old Motherfucking Snow Season going on over there. I think you guys are wise to consider options. I'm sure you're Steve's bliss as much as he is yours ... there's got to be a warmer compromise on the location. Hang in there, girl.

jp said...

Kittens need snowshoes. I'll see what I can find.

Joan said...

I can only imagine what life must be like where you live during the winter months. I think the hardest part for me would be the feeling of claustrophobia confined to the house during the worst weather. Perhaps it's time to start saving your pennies for a winter retreat...somewhere where the sun shines and it's nice and warm.

Middle Child said...

Goodness me. Don dug up a Telstra cable once... working for the man...not his fault he was just the digger...

snow snow go away... Unsure if I'd like that much snow and for that long...

I understand your needing to live somewhere beautiful and wanting to hang on to it.

I enjoyed reading this post ... thanks

cs said...

HHM and I ponder the same thing.,..how long can we live here taking care of property in our old age....?? Only God knows at this point.

HHM had a bad accident last week in the work van...he was only going 20 when it just slid into oncoming traffic...luckily the guy he hit saw him coming and got way over but HHM tagged the trailer with snow sleds on them...totaled one and the front of his van was crunched. His chains broke the week before and his work wouldn't buy more...the studs were already worn out....I think they might rethink this next time when he asks them for new tires and chains...slushville coming up...and then spring sister. Stay safe...hugs from Rathdrum