There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Monday, March 03, 2008

Nurse I need a pain shot...NOW

THAT'S ME....5TH FROM THE LEFT. NO GLASSES FOR SOME REASON. I WORE MY CAP THE ENTIRE TIME I WAS A BEDSIDE NURSE. I WAS THE EXCEPTION.


I am in this picture....I'll give everyone a few days and then will tell you where I am unless someone does find me.
For all of my college years I was a single mother, was living on the welfare system until I could get a job after graduation and my kids were latchkey kids. It was a tough time, but it was wonderful too. I loved learning, getting all A'S (yes I did, even in clinical), and wanted more than anything to be able to support my family.
When I was in high school I wanted to be a doctor. I started my freshman year with all of the right classes; physiology, general science, math and English 1A. By the second semester of that year I had met the man that would become my first husband and it was all downhill after that.
I was absolutely miserable in high school. Most of the responsibility sits on my shoulders, some on the social mores of the 60's and some on my parents. If it wasn't for my Aunt Marcella who was a nurse, I might not have ever gone into the medical field at all.
With the age related knowledge I have today I know I could have accomplished anything I set out to do back then. Damn, you all could have been calling me Dr. rosemary. While there is the It's never too late attitude....it really is. I accomplished my goals as a nurse. I was a good nurse, in fact I was a great nurse. I know that, my peers knew it, I hope my kids know it and I was respected by the physicians I worked with. Good job, rosemary.
What's up with the paragraphing? PS it's snowing.

17 comments:

jan said...

Yes, good job, Rosemary. You have so much to be proud of.

I have so many friends who are former nurses, who loved their work, but got burned out on it. Nurses are so very important in the health care of all of us, I wish there was something we could do to keep them in the profession as long as most doctors stay in.

Jennie said...

*spoilers alert*

I have no doubt you were a good nurse! It must feel good to have accomplished that in the rough times.

My niece just had a baby, she's 20 as of a month ago. She'll be going to college as a single mom next year...she's a straight A student too, graduated high school early. I have to admire that, I was such an irresponsible college student the first time through.

(You're in the front row, 5th from the left.)

rosemary said...

WOW, jennie....absolutely correct....hum....wonder what you would think if you could see me now...did the perfectly shaped eyebrows give me away?

Lorraine said...

I wanted to be a nurse. Until I realized how much I sucked at sciency stuff.

You look adorable.

And you deserve to be rightly proud of your accomplishment.

madretz said...

Even before I read jennie's comment I was thinking "bottom row,5th from the left" Truly, your beauty and spirit shows all through time, nothing to do with your perfect eyebrows!
I agree with all your friends above (and below I"m sure) that there's no doubt that you were an amazing nurse. You are very caring and witty and can relate to other people very well.

Rhea said...

I think you are in the middle row, third from left.

Auld Hat said...

Found you in three seconds. Love the frosted feathers. (;

PinkAcorn said...

Wow, lots in common here. I was widowed a month before nursing classes started, three boys and and developed an A type personality. I'm ready to retire yesterday...from your flicker photos I think you're the third from the left w/glasses?

PinkAcorn said...

lol, and in the middle row.

Lilli & Nevada said...

I think that being a nurse would be so rewarding, i too wanted to be one, BUT, the site of blood, puke and all the rest didn't agree with my tummy. LOL But i am so glad that people like you are there to take care of weak people like me. Thanks so much for your devotion.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

What a great story. I would love to look into nursing, but I can't tolerate touching people, so I guess that would be out for me, huh? LOL.

Mom said...

I had you pegged in the front row, 5th from the left.
i loved being a nurse. Now I love being retired. . My personal life was much easier than yours while we were in school. I'll have to post a picture from my nurse days.

Sandy said...

I remember you blogging once about how much Steve liked your big glasses so I'm going for the 2nd row, 3rd from left. I know you were a great nurse - wish we had more of them.

Sandy said...

Rats - I should have read the comments first! I thought going with the glasses was a sure thing. Is there a booby prize? We still need more nurses.

kenju said...

I knew which one was you but someone beat me to it!

I should have been a doctor too. I was afraid of chemistry, though, so I didn't even try. I did end up being a cytotechnologist - but that's nothing by comparison...LOL

Kimberly Ann said...

Anyone who has ever stayed in the hospital knows how truly important nurses are to patients. A good nurse makes all the difference. I'm sure you were a great one. Oh and I'll be emailing you with all my hypochondriac questions from now on. :-)

more cowbell said...

wow, great pic! Nurses rule. My mom went back to school when I was a junior/senior in high school. She became an RN, went into psychiatric nursing, and was charge nurse within 2 years. She loved her job, and was so proud of reaching those goals. She'd worked about 5 or 6 years when she was diagnosed with MS, and wasn't able to work much longer after that. But her identity as a nurse is strong, and it added so much to who she is.

I started nursing school when the girls were little. Catching the daycare at extremem neglect (they didn't expect me to show up when I did) caused me to freak out and say I'd wait 'til they were older. Then life happened, you know.

Love the pic and you should be very very proud for getting there, doubly so that you did it as a single mom. Good on you, Nurse Rosemary!