There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Sunday, April 27, 2008

Movies, movies, movies

One of my blog friends does a really good job of reviewing movies....that would be Lorraine of the famous Koi Head Awards for excellence in movies rating scale. Me? I am a lousy reviewer......example.....Movie X (fill in any title) was good because...I liked it. See? Bad reviewer.

When I was a kid I absolutely loved going to the movies. Every year at Christmas my godmother would take me along with her daughter to Grauman's Chinese Theater to see White Christmas. After the movie we would go to Clifton's Cafeteria for lunch where I would throw pennies in the fountain by the entrance and make a wish. While this was a special event, going to the movies was actually a routine Saturday thing for me starting at the age of eight. No, my folks didn't take me; I went by myself. I would walk the two blocks from home to Fremont Avenue and wait for the Mooney Sixth bus.....alone....ride it to Main Street and go to either the Coronet, Alhambran or the El Rey movie theater. It was a quarter to get in and five cents for an AbbaZabba candy bar. I was in heaven.


I was a loner growing up (and still am for the most part). The movies were my escape from school where I was the odd kid in the class and from home where my parents were always arguing. I could become Ann Blythe or Jane Powell, maybe Rita Hayworth or Betty Grable if I was feeling particularly homely. There were no movie ratings back in the stone age so I could watch what ever movie I wanted.


I still love going to the movies. Before we moved to Idaho in 1998 Steve was always on the road for work or in Idaho "getting away from the stress of traveling." I was at the movies pretty much every weekend....alone. Now? There is only one movie theater in Sandpoint and it plays a lot of animated stuff; not always my favorite kind of flick. DVDs are my movie fix now.


I have several favorite movies; ones that I watch over and over again. If you have seen these movies, know of them or have read some of the books that they are based on, you will have some good insight into me. I have talked Steve into watching The Accidental Tourist tonight. Quite a fete as it has no monsters, race cars nor is Star Wars in the title.


So what about The Accidental Tourist ? The odd woman gets the man of her dreams in the end...she has a son, the man loves the boy, they live happily ever after.

9 1/2 Weeks: I would bet most people think this movie is about S.E.X. It's not. It's about total control; mental, physical, sexual and environmental. In the book, there is actually very little sexual activity. While the movie did have sex as the focal point, if you really watch and listen to the dialogue you will see that all of that hot steamy stuff is just whipped cream. And then there is Micky Rourke at his best looking ever; Kim Bassinger is also quite nice to watch as well. The scene where she dances for him? The one and only scene where it is obvious that sex is not the focal point.

Other movies I love to watch: Murphy's Romance, Falling In Love (Meryl Streep and Robert DeNiro in love), Overboard, Moonstruck, While You Were Sleeping, Shirley Valentine (one of my very favorites), Enchanted April, Sweet Home Alabama, Maid In Manhattan (JLO I know but it is sweet...), The Canterville Ghost, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Laura, The Red House, Portrait of Jenny, Unfaithful, Shall We Dance (remember the life witness part?).....a lot more. I'm hoping this is the start of Steve's movie watching beyond noise, wheels and creepy looking things on the screen. Maybe we can start Movie Night with popcorn and sodas.

14 comments:

Jennie said...

Hi Rosemary...I recently watched Cinema Paradiso at the urging of a friend who also likes foreign films. Loved it!

kenju said...

I am out of practice watching movies nowadays, but I saw 13 going on 30 last week and it was fun and cute.

jan said...

I love it when men get secure enough in their own skins to watch movies without stuff blowing up every three minutes.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

My boys (husband and son) do Friday Night Freakshow - they watch a scary or silly movie and have popcorn. It's just the guys. We love movies around here too. We just watched "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" last night.

cs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cs said...

When I was under the weather lately, the oldies really helped me escape. 1940's-1960's eras with such high drama! And the outfits and stages can be more fun to look at.
One of my more recent fav's is Chocolate. And of course I go running to the kitchen foraging for anything chocolate....
We prefer to stay in for DVD's too nowadays.

Abaazaaba, Big Hunks, Uno Bars...mmmm

Mom said...

Clifton's Cafeteria was my favorite place in the world. I thought it was the most elegant restaurant there ever was. Birthdays and celebrations were celebrated there. I used to ride the bus to downtown Whittier and spend Saturday afternoon at either the Wardman or the Roxie.The admission was 25cents. We have a big 14 theater movie house here in town but it is hard to find a movie we want to watch. The Accidental Tourist is a great story.

utenzi said...

I'm terrible at writing movie reviews also so I rarely do them. I wish I was better 'cause I do love watching movies.

Our taste in movies is thematically similar, Rosemary, though I only like about half of your choices. One of your movies absolutely depresses me. The Ghost and Mrs Muir. Sure, the falling in love part is nice but before that her life was Hellish and after---well, she had to wait something like 40 years to be reunited with the Captain. Depressing! Her entire life, it seemed, was either being tortured by her MIL or waiting to die. My favorite romantic movie is Gigi but I realize it's very male-centric.

more cowbell said...

I hear you, I'm awful at reviews. And I don't know dip from diddly when it comes to cinema, acting, settings, any of that. I either like it or not.

Chocolat, is, of course, my favorite.

madretz said...

You have me ROTFLOL. I review movies the same way: "I liked it" "I didn't like it."

I was just at Grauman's for the first time last week with my Alaska friends. So funny.

And I've had the 9 1/2 weeks on DVD for over 5 years but haven't watched it yet. I will now though, after your review.

Auld Hat said...

I completely get that about 9 1/2 weeks. Also, I like most of the movies you listed for all the same romantic reasons. Still, Princess Bride is my go-to flick when I'm feeling blue.

Sling said...

My favorite romantic movie is 'The American President'
..'Turns out,I've got a rose garden'.
Love it!

jp said...

I haven't seen most of those movies you mentioned, probably because they don't have "Star Wars" in the title somewhere.

Lorraine said...

A) that was sweet of you and 2) I like a lot of those movies too, although I never have seen "9 1/2 Weeks".

My list would include Hat's & Sling's movies plus "Shakespeare in Love", "Bridget Jones' Diary", "While You Were Sleeping" and "Nottinghill". Romance wise, that is.

Movie night is good.