There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Saturday, May 17, 2008

Vroom, vroom, boom...and why small town living can be wonderful!

For the last 23 years the third weekend in May has been the time for Lost in the 50's in Sandpoint. Word has it three local women came up with the idea to have a little parade with a 50's theme that belonged to Sandpoint only. It was to be a small rally followed by a street dance. Officials gave permission for that first shindig and no one could foresee what was to follow. Lost in the 50's as turned into a HUGE event with people and their cars coming from all over the U.S and Canada to be in the parade. Some are trying to sell their classic cars but everyone is here really just to have a good time.....their 15 minutes to be cool again.


There is still a street dance after the parade, then on Saturday most of the streets in town are closed and all of the cars are on display. Then a concert of 50's musical stars on Saturday night and an aspirin car rally on Sunday. Just fun, fun, fun, a time to see old friends, catch some rays if the sun is out and it was and sing along to the music blasting over big speakers from the local radio station KPND.

Here are the original founders......

....having as much fun this year as they did the first year.
An old Priest River police car....
...and Sandpoint's finest in new rigs. They opened the parade.
Lookie here...a hood ornament.
Katie, our former neighbor was there..she's the blond in white.

This cute little yellow thing is a Subaru, the Official Car of North Idaho as opposed to Northern Idaho (we consider our part of Idaho as a separate State).
Some cars did this when their engines were roaring.
She was supposedly driving but I managed to miss her head so maybe she was really a man. She's obviously self appointed.....Northern Idaho; really now.
Wait Just A Minute!!! Is that Jerry Garcia? Holy Moley, I think it is!!!
An old fire truck filled with Pipers, Drummers and dogs in the back.


Steve likes Chevy's....in yellow....
....and red.....
...and cars with painted flames....
...and old taxis too.
Some one had to throw a little dirt around.

There were quite a few of the requisite Poodle Skirts.
A few football jocks had to get in on the fun.
I'm thinkin' several future Miss Idaho contestants in this car!
And in the end a good time was had by all.

We fly out Monday so this will be my last post for about a week....enjoy the weather everyone...SPRING IS HERE AND SUMMER IS RIGHT ON HER HEELS.

14 comments:

CRAIG & DIANE said...

We had the same thing in Modesto, home of George Lucas and "American Graffiti". The main drag in town would be closed and they would have cars lined up three abreast in each direction. Our little claim to fame, until it turned violent one year and they stopped it cold. At least now I can go to the one in Sandpoint! Enjoy your time away~

Mom said...

What a wonderful event! Looks like a beautiful, sunny day for having fun.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I love those cars! How fun.

Jennie said...

That looks like a great deal of fun. I'm not a parade person, but they're growing on me as I get older for some reason. Have a good trip Rosemary!

kenju said...

That's my kind of parade! I love the old cars. Have a good trip.

Sling said...

That's what I'm talkin' about right there!
Lord he'p me,I love that stuff. :)

Ex-Shammickite said...

You should have told me about this earlier.... I could have driven out to see the parade.... oh well, I'll be there next year!
Have a good trip, see you blogging when you come back.

jan said...

Such a great idea and so much fun for everyone, until... as so often happens the few ruin it for everyone.

madretz said...

ROTFLOL! May must the the month of parades, don't you think?? Everyone loves a parade!

Happy and safe travels.

Auld Hat said...

FUN! Oh I can't wait for my little town to start it's big ol shindigs. (mouth begins to salivate at thought of corndogs and Indian Fried Bread)

Kimberly Ann said...

This looks like such fun! I just happen to have a crinoline slip in my closet for just such an occassion.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Oh love these kind of parades.

Middle Child said...

Its good stuff...where are you off to or have you already gone?

Cazzie!!! said...

Oh I love the pictures, what a fun parade, thanks for sharing :)