There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Monday, June 30, 2008

Mimi Louise, Mimila, the Mimster, Moo...

Naturally, after the horror of losing Sophia to some gawd awful monster of a disease, I made a vet appointment for Mimi Louise, also known by all of the title names. Mimi has been overweight since she was 2. She is 11 now. She has been on Science Diet MD (remember the pet food recall scare...her food was recalled but is now reformulated) for at least 4 years and has done OK....well, sort of. We have been on several trips since December and the joke has been that when we are gone Mimi goes on a cruise. Translation: She gets to eat the other cat's food out of the feeders. When we asked the vet about feeding her while we were gone she said, "If you went on a cruise you wouldn't want to be on a diet would you? So, let Mimi eat while you are gone." This comment came after my friend Molly almost went insane trying to put 17 little crunchies into 4 slots in a timed feeder when she was coming in daily to check on the cats. Mimi has been to Alaska, the Bahamas, Hawaii and Jamaica and I discovered a pamphlet for Bermuda under her basket blankie.

So, at this vet visit we discover than Mimster has lost some hair on her back and it is not because I over Furminated her while brushing. Since she has had Feline Acne on her chin I didn't get too excited until the vet said stuff like "Pituitary tumor, Adrenal Gland issues, surgery and medications, skin scrapings"....and then I just kinda zoned out. The short story after being put in a kitty straight jacket and having 3 vet techs hold her down, Mimila had blood drawn and the vet called today.

All of her lab values look good except for her thyroid level which is a bit low. So, my vet called another vet that specializes in feline Endocrine disease and she said that Hypothyroidism is rare in cats and in her 20 plus years of practice she has only seen one case. They are going to run another lab test...free T4 level...to see what's up. Is Mimila gonna be a specimen?

After all of the sadness with Drakie and now Sophia we will NOT put one more of our cats through anything that involves a scalpel, sutures or fluids going through a needle into the subcutaneous tissue. Period. Meds? OK, as long as they are pills. Steve and I talked after we lost Sophie and we both said out loud that we kept Drake going for us, not for her quality of life. If Sophie had been facing the same type of misery we would have made a different decision.

Mimi Louise is happy, she spends her day laying in her basket by the bathroom where she gets her 1/3 cup of dry food throughout the day, moseys over to the litter box, laps at the water bowl and goes back to her basket. She whines a bit about her diet and I tell her I understand. Steve says she is just full figured. My profile picture is of Mimi Louise. I think she looks just fine. I'll let you know what happens.

11 comments:

kenju said...

My Storm need to be on a diet too, but alas, like her mom, she has always been a bit hungry! I think I agree with you about pills and not too many other procedures. They can't live forever, no matter how much we might want them to.

Ex-Shammickite said...

Give Mimi a tickle uder her chin from me. I hope that the vet comes back with good news, but if it's not, then I agree with you about not intervening to save a life just because you will miss her....

cs said...

The Twinkies have special sci-diet food too. Mimi-Marie, the bigger but younger one, is on a diet (like her mommy). She loves her crunchies and I put little surprise nibbles mixed in. She smiles and talks to me in the morning when she eats.

Georgy-girl on the other paw, is all biz. Eat and let's go play fetch until you drop, Mom.

Email me...the 9th is good...say 11:30?

cs said...

PS--I emailed you at your momikat acct.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

She doesn't look overweight. I hope the news from the vets is all good!

Cazzie!!! said...

Awwww, give her a hug from me :)

Auld Hat said...

Steve is a genius.

Mom said...

Hugs to all all.

cs said...

Ro:
Where are you? Satellite down? Please contact before next week....hope you are all okay up there!
hugs
cs

Ex-Shammickite said...

Happy 4th of July from Canada!

Middle Child said...

I hope she is fine - our old cat had hyperthyroidism which is commom in older cats - something to consider is not to give animals (or humans0 fluoridated water as it interferes with a huge amount of enzyme finctions in the body and has been linked with thyroid problems in animals and humans - they know but won't admit it because they'd get the pants sued off them. May help to have a clean water supply if there are thyroid problems or before they develop. Just a thought. We are on tank water only coping with the shit that falls out of the air...