There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Sunday, August 31, 2008

Happy, happy to you....

......my sweet little redheaded boy.

My oldest child turns 46 today. I was 17 when he was born. We kinda grew up together. Of course, there were swirls of comments about his hair color....it was evident at day 2. Turned out his fraternal grandfather (who died in WWII) was a red head as was a maternal great-grandfather.

Art was a quiet, almost perfect baby....slept through the night quickly, never spit baby food on me and seldom cried. That sweet baby turned into a tender-hearted little boy, a sensitive adolescent and a troubled teenager. The blame for a lot of his troubles can be placed right on my shoulders.

While he is a big, grown up man now, I still see him as that sweet child that happily shared a bike with his sister, loved his grandparents to pieces, and made cards for me just because. He is a single father of two wonderful kids; Johnny and Bethany.

The last time I saw him was in 1998 at Gil's wedding. Come hell or high water, snow, sleet, or fire and brimstone, I am going to figure out a way to see him this November. Steve and I are trying to plan a trip to California for our birthdays and Art is willing to travel there to see us. We are going to save every penny we can to get tickets or I will walk the 1500 miles.

I love you , Art, with all of my heart. See you soon.

The two top pictures were taken at my parent's house....that's my dad in the background in the pix on the left. Below those are school pictures. Art always swore (and still does) his hair was brown.



This is the last time we were together; Gil's wedding. Here we are, me, Art and Johnny. John will be 18 next month. The picture below was taken in 2000.....John, Art and Bethany.


18 comments:

bellamocha said...

Aaah! A lovely heartfelt tribute to your son! I hope his birthday was wonderful.

here from Michele's and saying hi!

Bella:)

CRAIG and DIANE said...

You do have a beautiful family, and in large part due to you and the love you have for them. You'll make that trip and see your son, and be able to tell us all about it. I'll be looking forward to it.

utenzi said...

Ten years is a long time to go without seeing that part of your family, Rosemary. I can see why Art would think his hair is brown--it looks close to both colors in these photos.

jan said...

What a great reunion you will have (hopefully). That is a long time to go without seeing someone so close to you. Hope his birthday was special. I hope he reads your blog and knows how special you are.

Jennie said...

He has sweet eyes, I can tell he is tender hearted. You must be desperate to see him!

Sling said...

Wow..Ten years!
What a sweet reunion it will be.
Happy Birthday Art!

kenju said...

Ten years??? That's almost criminal. I sure hope you can work it out to see him. Happy Birthday, Art!

cs said...

My dear father who would have been 85, also shares your Art's b-day. Good men!

Love the pix of all of you. You will make it to CA and your Art will be there. 10 years is way too long to see each other. God will guide you sweet friend.

yellowdog granny said...

wow...happy birthday to him and congratulations to you.17...wow!

Barb said...

You certainly have great looking kids. I probably told you many times that I would have sent my baby back if it was a boy because I was so afraid of him having red hair. My Dad and my Mother-in-law have red hair and my Dad always got called silly names like "Carrot-top" or "Red" while growing up. I didn't want that for my child. Fortuneatly, Jessica was a girl and she has brown hair with red highlights. Of course she bleaches it now but... So I can see how Art says his hair is brown. Happy birthday Art and hope you get to see him soon. This isn't a comment it's a novel! Oops! Sorry.:)

Middle Child said...

Rosemary I can not imagine not seeing one of mine for that long, and hope they never move further away than they already are. I know with our youngest its possible they will live overseas for a while but don't want to think about it till I have to.

he will always be your child he is 80 and you 97, and you will always be his mother. he is getting lcose tto the age (50's) when people start to consider seriously their own mortality... and also the mortality of their parents. No doubt he misses you as well.

We need more red headed people in this world

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Awww, that was sweet. I hope he had a great birthday and I hope you get to see him soon!

Shammickite said...

Happy Birthday to Art...and his hair id definitely not brown! Take it from someone who knows!

middle child said "We need more red headed people in this world" and she's right.

jp said...

There's nothing easy about the teen years, even under the best of circumstances.

What matters is he turned out well and so did his mom!!

Mom said...

Happy birthday Art!
Isn't it amazing how quickly time flies. You blink and ten years have flown by.
I know you are looking forward to seeing this boy and his two babies.

Miss Healthypants said...

What a lovely tribute! :)

Kimberly Ann said...

Lovely birthday wishes. Enjoy the upcoming reunion - I just know it will be soon.

more cowbell said...

Nice pics, I always like your photos. I so hope you get to see him, Rosemary. It's been a long time since I've seen my folks, and an even longer time since I've seen my sister. I know how hard that is. So here's to a wonderful trip and visit w/ Art.