There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Summer is gone.....the rut has started.....

....for the local deer. We saw this beautiful buck right by the corn bowls munching away. It is hard to tell in the photos but his velvet was hanging and ready to fall off. Pretty soon those antlers that the does find so attractive will be gone too. Gives a whole meaning to the phrase having a rack! Here is a little blip I found on the Internet about shedding and antlers.

During the growth phase of the bony antlers, they are covered with a sensitive skin referred to as "velvet," which is filled with blood vessels that feed the antlers the vitamins and the minerals necessary to build up the bone, and to promote normal antler growth. Antler growth spans two to four months, after which time the velvet is no longer needed, and a ring, which effectively serves as a shutoff valve, forms at the base of the antlers and cuts off the blood supply to the velvet. As a result, the velvet withers, dries up, and falls off, often assisted by the deer, which rubs his antlers against tree bark. The antler regeneration is complete, and the shedding cycle will resume once mating season in the fall concludes.


The temp this morning at 7AM was 36. We have had some lovely days with it getting no higher than 68. Autumn may technically be the 22nd of this month, but Idaho makes its own rules where weather is concerned. I blinked, summer is gone.




I apologize, but I can't keep my promise to stop posting kitty cat stuff. The opportunities are just too good to pass up. Overheard just a few minutes ago:


Fuzz and
Mimi Louise:


Damn, girl your butt is big!

Hello? That looks like your big butt.

Nope, it's yours.

Get over yourself, Fuzz.

12 comments:

jan said...

How cool to have such a distinguished visitor to your yard.

And please continue to post pictures of your talking cats.

Chris said...

Wow, that is just awesome, all of it. You get to see deer and bucks in your backyard. The whole velvet thing is just amazing too.
I envy your weather, it is 88 here today.

Love the kitty stuff, I love cats. We can't have any, two kids are allergic, maybe 3. So I love looking at yours and eavsdropping on their conversations :).

yellowdog granny said...

bambi bambi..where's thumper?

Evil Twin's Wife said...

We have not seen any deer personally, but they've left plenty of their poop pellet calling cards already! Blech.

Love the cat pics, besides, what's not to love about two big fuzzy, furry butts creating warmth?

Miss Healthypants said...

Heh heh heh (laughing at your cats' pictures and "conversation"). :)

Also loved the pics of the deer... if you can't tell, I love animals. :)

Miss Healthypants said...

Also, 36 degrees is WAY too cold for early September!! Wow.

P.S. I put a link to your blog on my blog--hope that's okay! :)

jp said...

Summer went by quickly this year for me as well.

And I bet you just can't wait for the snowy season to start again... ;)

alphawoman said...

Well now I know that the antlers do not grow until the deer .....ah, kicks the bucket?

Kimberly Ann said...

Great photos. My mom gets plenty of does and fawns at her house by the ocean, if you can believe that but never any bucks.

Are you guys geared up for snow? I have a feeling it will come early this year...

Jennie said...

It's cool that you have such wildlife roaming around you. That "velvet skin" thing though. Bleck, strange and gross.

Your kitties are hilarious. The minute my dog starts commenting on my butt though....

Middle Child said...

Those cats are amazing. I love cats and dogs, and cats and dogs...

Did not know about the deer and the antlers although we have feral deer about here because people let them go once their farms failed...deer are not native here but love the place. I think they are beautiful looking creatures.

Middle Child said...

Just lovely