There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Monday, October 13, 2008

Just sitting here thinking.....it's about time...

Steve is in Mexico City for a consultation and I ran out of steam yesterday. It is after 11 AM and I have barely managed to feed the pets, eat breakfast and make the bed. I have been up since 6.

Steve had a 7:30 AM Sunday flight and we were on the dark, empty roads at 4:30. The girls and I snoozed while he drove down and the girls continued to snooze while I drove home. It was a beautiful morning and I had saved a little treat for myself for the drive back home.

I have had Jackson Browne's new CD, TIME THE CONQUEROR, for several weeks. I can't just open the CD case and listen to his music when I get a new CD.....even if it is an old release that I am replacing (I play them thin and useless). I need to be alone. I need to be able to really listen to his lyrics and music. Every song, every CD has the potential to make me cry and of course think and ponder certain events.

Jackson has never professed to be a great singer. He has critiqued his own voice and feels his strength is his writing ability. Of course I disagree. He does all of it wonderfully. This CD is vocally one of his best. His voice seems stronger, clearer and he even does some falsetto rips on one of the songs!

So...has Jackson ever released any album/tape or CD and NOT voiced a strong stand about any current world condition? No. In this CD he manages to do the following:

* Pour the cement over GWB's feet about the war in Iraq
* Put GWB in the Convention Center during Katrina where he should have been not flying over the place
* Address the fact that Cuba is inhabited with all kinds of people not just the Castro family
* Correctly state that we are a world of excesses
* Acknowledge that he is lonely
* That he longs for love just like every other person on the face of the earth

This music is powerful and beautiful.

So, I was thinking that I wanted to leave my grandchildren (and my children) memories of a Gigi/Mom that was strong of mind and stated her beliefs even if they might not agree with me. I don't think I have ever kept my feelings to my self....but, I have really never been politically vocal.

>I am a Democrat and will vote for Obama.
>I think Sarah Palin (thank you Gil for the correct spelling) is scary. She is a loose cannon.
>I believe every person should be able to make their own decisions about pregnancy, death, and who they marry.
>I think hunting for sport is wrong. Period.
>I think drug use is slowly killing our best hope for the future.
>I FIRMLY BELIEVE GWB went into Iraq for only one reason and that was payback for his father.
>I think Wall Street is totally corrupt. Lying and cheating has become a way of life for many.
>Nothing matters but family....not owning a home, cars, couches or jewels.
>Pets have rights.
>WAR IS NOT THE ANSWER.
>If you say you will meet with a dictator without conditions, there will still be conditions....where, time, attendees, etc. But, if you treat each other like human beings regardless of sanity, beliefs or actions....you just might accomplish something.
>Everyone is afraid of dying. If they say otherwise they are fooling themselves not anyone else.
>Bras are mans way of getting back at women. Sweats are underrated.
>Sports figures, actors and politicians are paid way too much money. The real "heroes and role models" are teachers, nurses and blue collar workers.
>I have not lived my best life. I have made serious mistakes and have regrets. I can only hope now that I can teach my children and grandchildren to not make the same mistakes.
>Jackson Browne is my hero....and I am still waiting for him. Joni Mitchell is right there next to him.

There are a lot of other things I could say, but this is a good start.


16 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

I totally need to get my car's CD player fixed for music like this et al.

But my hubby, the car guy suggests changing out the entire car, not the player.

oy, vey. There we go with switching all my car junk over to another good pre-owned automobile. Again.

Jannie,
saw your Joni Mitchell tag on Blogger.

sageweb said...

That Jackson Browne fella seems like one cool dude. I absolutely agree with everything you said...times two.

jan said...

Feed the pets and make the bed and blog...that pretty much sums up a productive whole day for me.

I don't agree with you on everything, but definitely on Jackson and Joni.

Barb said...

I agree on everything you said. I love the CD cover of Jackson too!! Wow, he looks great with a beard and mustache!!!! There I go again with those types of fellas eh? Enjoy the music and relax.

Sling said...

I have to agree with all that stuff you said,and I can't wait to hear Jacson's new album!

yellowdog granny said...

i agree..anyone that says they don't have an regrets is a sad person...i love jackson brown...mainly because of his music, but also because that was the nickname that only my daddy called me..'jackson'..

Miss Healthypants said...

I guess you're preaching to the choir with your statements--because I also agree! :)

I will have to add Jackson Browne to my list of singers' songs to download when I get my new Ipod...that list is getting longer and longer... :)

madretz said...

I like you all the more for your brutal honesty.

I saw him on the Colbert Report a few weeks ago. He's amazing.

Shammickite said...

I agree with everything you said about Bush, and the war in Iraq, and dying, and bras, and Sarah Palin, but I don't know anything about Jackson Browne, I always thought he was black but obviously not from the picture.

kenju said...

Rosemary, you go girl!! I agree with everything you wrote, but I am not familiar with Browne. Maybe I should change that.

Mom said...

If bloggers ruled the world it would be a better place. Say what you think clearly and listen to beautiful music. You are one of heroes.

Kimberly Ann said...

I'm with the rest of the crowd - I'm with you on all you said. Isn't it wonderful when you find a musician who really touches you with the music? That is the best.

Jennie said...

Wow, that is a great picture of Jackson Browne, we can agree on that. ;) Actually there's little I disagree with. It's wonderful to let those who love you know you! Relationships are important, not so much the details.

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Hello,

I am celebrating my 100th post. Please stop by and enter my giveaway.

Laura

Middle Child said...

All over the place here re U.S politics...sorry

Middle Child said...

But you reminded me that at a time when i was feeling very mortal I did the same for my kids - and they will make their own mistakes as well c'est la vie...agree with most pionts but some don't apply here re GW