There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Some pretty scary stuff......

Halloween is just around the corner....or at the end of the week, whichever I get to first. Soooooo, booooo, I am thinking orange is my color!

When I was a kid my mom and godmother aka Auntie Lulu, used to go to a shop in East L.A. that they called "The Junk Store." It really wasn't filled with junk at all. It was stacked floor to ceiling, wall to wall with bolts and bolts of fabric of every imaginable kind. My mother was quite the seamstress and made almost all of my clothes even through high school. She kept me quite stylish in poodle skirts, pedal pushers, wool skirts, a coat or two and tons of blouses. When I was in eighth grade she managed to score a huge bolt of parachute material from the "junk store" and made me and my best friend Bea matching outfits. My mother was quite pleased with the outfits; Bea and I were mortified. We wore them once.....to church Christmas morning. Of course both of our mothers were royally irritated that we refused to ever wear them again saying "They are beautiful outfits and you both look beautiful!".......or something along those lines. UmmHumm....beautiful. Here I am....the Giant Poofy-Skirted Orange Parachute Pumpkin!
An even scarier tale involves hair....my hair. Living rurally has its pluses and minuses. One thing that tips the scale on both sides is having well water. On the plus side: no water bill, no spiders in a meter box in the ground.....and that's about it for the good stuff. On the negative side.....you have to drill a well. Interpretation? Expensive. You have to have a power source, a pump house to get the water to the house, deal with no water when the power is out unless you can afford an even more expensive backup generator....and then there is the mineral content of your water and the need for a water softener and filter system like we have. Before we had that system, we had iron in our water......and I mean lots of iron. The water smelled like iron, anything white or light colored turned yellow and then orange....like t-shirts, underwear, glasses, dishes, sinks and tubs....everything. I was a blond when we moved to Idaho in 1998. I never factored in the mineral content of our water when it came to coloring my hair or even shampooing it actually. As my hair turned more and more yellow rather than a beige blond, and then a light orange, I finally realized that the dye and water were mixing in a way that was not good. Below is my hair right before I cut it all off and we installed the water system. Really, really orange and scary!!!!


And then there are the really cute witches and blue characters/goblins of Halloween!!!!

17 comments:

yellowdog granny said...

oh lordy i remember the sausage curls..my mother would make me wear them and the minute i was out of sight of the house i'd stick my head under the hose and comb them out...also remember my aunt had the iron in the water..and when my aunt said i had to eat my spinach to get some iron, i said no thanks i just had a glass of water..
cute cute little goblins..

sageweb said...

Wow that is some orange hair. My hair use to turn green when I was on the swim team....we would have been quite the pair.

The dress is cute...maybe not then but it is cute now.

What adorable goblins you have haunting you.

jp said...

It's nice to know that cats will love you no matter what color your hair is.

jan said...

I'm a volunteer with our police dept. and i was rather casual about not keeping a close watch on my purse since it is, you know, the PD and all. Then someone pointed out the color shirts all the janitorial staff was wearing. Orange.

Sling said...

My poodle skirt wearing big sister once tried to dye her hair,and it turned out bright orange!..
So my big brother went out and wrote on the sidewalk,'The girl with the orange hair lives here'...Good times.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I love orange. And the goblins. Those costumes are toooo cute!

kenju said...

That last pic is darling!

Chris said...

Wow, I have seen green hair from chlorine before but never orange hair! If you lived here it would be right in style, of course you have to get a lip and eyebrow piercing to go with the hair.

That is the cutest witch and goblin I have ever seen :).

Mom said...

Orange hair is a bit scary. The little ones are just cute.

madretz said...

ok, i know you hate that poofy parachute skirt, but i think it's awesome. Or at least the photo is great!! I love old photos.
We had a water well when I was growing up in the desert. Luckily it was good water, my black hair stayed black, but when I had to sell the property after my mother died, i had to put in a new well. Eiyiyi. Yea. Expensive. I don't think in 17 years of marriage, Jimmy and I have spent that much in our water bills.

Joan said...

OK...that dress reminds me of all the poofy skirts that invaded my closet way back when but at least none of mine were the color of pumpkin. And your hair story reminds me of the time I had my hair colored by a supposed professional only to come out with dingy orange hair. Shriek!!!

Shammickite said...

Golly that's VERY ORANGE HAIR!
(All British people say Golly, didn't you know that?)
On vacation in Florida right now, internet connection doesn't always work but I am posting pics of our trip whenever I get the chance.

Miss Healthypants said...

The dress your Mom made you wear reminds me of this time when my Mom crocheted my sister and I matching winter hats that tied around our chins, with little balls on the ends of the ties. How embarrassing for us! We wore them as we left the house, then took them off a couple of blocks later. :)

The pic of the little ones is adorable! :)

Jennie said...

Sheesh, I hope your mom was dressed for church and that's not really how she looks on Christmas morning. I, in my pajamas, usually threaten anyone with a camera to leave me out on Christmas morning. Your dress was um poofy. My mother would have never been able to wrestle me into that. lol
Secondly, that couch you're laying on with your orange hair? We had a chair with the very same upholstery! :)

Kimberly Ann said...

Sadly, I've had some orange hair and it didn't involve iron in the water. Just a bad combo of bleached hair and a box of clairol. Oh, the humanity.

Happy Halloween!!!

panthergirl said...

I love old Halloween pictures.... I have tons. Gotta love the orange hair!!!!

I just read your comment about great books on Michele.... I love all three of those as well!!

more cowbell said...

Now Rosemary ... that is a perfectly beautiful dress, and you look perfectly beautiful in it. Now stop that nonsense and put on your dress.

And damn girl, you could've given Pippi Longstocking a run for her money. All you needed was some braids.