There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Thursday, November 20, 2008

Nine loads of wash later.....

....we are home and settling down to the old familiar routines. There are absolutely no words in any language to tell you how wonderful our trip was. Every single day was filled with family from everywhere.....New York, Oklahoma and of course California. Because we were so excited about the trip, even the flight down with its delay and hassle with luggage was just fun.

So.....here is what we did......

Monday we flew to California.

Tuesday we invaded the local Quizno's for lunch. Everyone was there but my daughter and her family. Fun, fun, fun.

Tuesday night we walked the street fair in Huntington Beach with my daughter and her family. Glorious fun.

Wednesday we drove all over the place with my oldest son and granddaughter. We hit three cemeteries and I showed them the houses where I grew up. My brother still lives in my last family home and he should be ashamed of himself for letting it look like a shack. Can you tell we are estranged?

Wednesday night we had a spaghetti feast at my step-daughter's home......I don't consider her my step-daughter......she is all mine minus the stretch marks. Noodles of fun.

Thursday we drove up to Big Bear to see Steve's cousin and his wife. After that visit we had ribs and chicken at my youngest son's home. We also taped a video for Sachi's class assignment on her family history. I look fat and damn old on video. Rib splitting, full of kisses and love fun.

Friday we took our granddaughter shopping and got her a few things to make up for all of the birthdays that were missed. Friday night we went to my grandson's last football game of the season. A helmet full of fun.

Saturday I got my hair cut at the school my daughter is attending and then we went to dinner at Steve's other daughter's home....turkey and all the fixings. We gobbled our way through 12 pounds of fun.

Sunday we had a family reunion picnic. We celebrated three birthdays....Steve's, Christopher's and mine. The candle blowing was secondary to celebrating each other, the love we share and the tears we shed saying good-bye.

Here I am with my granddaughter Bethany and grandson John (last seen in 2000 when they were 8 and 10). There is my oldest son Art, last seen in 1998 at Gil's (youngest son) wedding. Absolutely glorious.

Here are ALL of our grandchildren......every single one of them.

John, Christopher, Tyler, Stephen, Bethany, Rebekah, Sachiko, Daniella, Anthoney, Spencer, and Sheyenne! They range in age from three to 25.



Here is the whole group. All but one of our children are in the picture (Tammy). Added to the group are Steve's brother Larry, our son-in-law Todd and Bobby, Sonya and Stephanie, Steve's kids. Gil, Art and Christine, my kids.



Here are my heart, breath and soul.....not necessarily in that order.


You know how when your kids are little you just want to wrap them around your heart and keep them there forever? How you want to protect them, stand guard over them, keep them from getting their feelings hurt and could do serious damage to anyone that did just that? I am now 64, my oldest son is 46, my daughter ageless, and my youngest son is 39. Those feelings have never gone away. I have admitted I was not a stellar mother, but you know what? It is never to late to love, cherish, kiss, hug and protect your kids......never too late.

The only sad part of the trip were the fires that were raging in Southern California while we were there. I took pictures but I can't post them. They need to be deleted and forgotten. The devastation was immense, the sadness palpable everywhere we went. The last night we were in California, we stayed at a hotel by the Ontario Airport. As we were checking in probably three dozen firefighters from Northern California....Tahoe, Woodland, Modoc County and other places.....rolled in on their trucks. Before half of them could check in they were called to a flare up in Yorba Linda. The next morning at 4:30 while we waited for the airport shuttle, the rest of the firefighters left.....bravery on wheels in a red truck.

18 comments:

CRAIG and DIANE said...

I'm so happy you had such a great ime. You look so happy in the pictures! It's nice to have you back in blogger-sphere! You were missed.

jan said...

Everyone looks so happy to be together. Glad you had such a great trip and are conquering the we're home-laundry.

Jennie said...

I'm so glad you had such a good time. Great pictures - great family! The palm trees make me kinda look better than the flurries we had today. :/

sageweb said...

What a great looking family! You were right down the street from me when you were in HB at the street fair...I go there from time to time. The fires have sucked, the air quality is horrendous. Those poor firemen have to be to tired. Seems like they havent had a break since October.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I'm so glad you are home and that you had such a wonderful trip. It's worth all the laundry! (Do you think your carpets missed you? LOL).

kenju said...

It is so good to read that you had a great trip and enjoyed your family!! I want details, of course. Welcome back!

Sling said...

Wondermous!..Wish I coulda been down there with you.
My own kids and grandkids are all right there!
Nice to see you back,and especially nice to hear that you had such a good time.

Chris said...

I am so glad you had such a good time and got to see all of your family!

The fires were awful, as always, the winds and heat always bring them up. Sorry you had to experience them.

Welcome back, I missed you :).

yellowdog granny said...

every one looks like pretty and handsome..fun times with family ..can't get any better than that..
I used to live in Huntington Beach..I love their library...
all glass...was beautiful..

kenju said...

Did you break your toe on the trip???
Ouch. I broke my little toe once; running through the house to answer the phone, when I was 16.

Shammickite said...

You have certainly been on a terrific trip, connecting with close family members who you haven't actually been close to for a long time. I can hear the happiness in your writing and see it in your photos.
I saw those S Cal fires on TV, I can't imagine the feelings of people as they leave their homes to be devoured by the flames.... awful. Those fire fighters are very brave souls.

Cazzie!!! said...

That is just so gorgeous to see everyone having a great time, catching up and well, aren;t the images wonderful? 9 loads of wash water!!! Wow

Lorraine said...

Welcome back home, Rosie! So glad it was a wondermous trip. And I gotta say, you look really superfantastic. Seriously. Loving your hair...

Miss Healthypants said...

Welcome back! :) Glad to hear you had so much fun! *smiles*

I loved what you said about your kids--so beautiful... :)

Also, I wanted to let you know that I bought a bag of those Cherry Cordial Hershey's Kisses--all because of you! *grin* They're AWESOME!--and guess what I did today? I made a cup of coffee and dropped 2 of the Kisses in there...YUMMY!!!! :) My doc says I need to lose weight, though--so THANKS A LOT for the recommendation! *grin*

more cowbell said...

Lovely! Wonderful pics, Rosemary. So happy you got to spend time with the whole crew, that's great. Put a smile on my face, as I procrastinate finishing a project for school...

Mom said...

What a wonderful trip you had! Thanks for sharing it with us.
I think heaven will be a big family reunion with all the people we love gathered around us.

madretz said...

Oh, I know all the grounds that you stomped on! I'm so glad you were able to connect and reconnect with your entire family. Lots of love, I can tell. You're right, it is never ever too late.
We have friends who live in Chino Hills and Yorba Linda...well, all over S. Cal. Our friends in YL had to evacuate, but thankfully were fine. The Chino Hills girls were ok, too. My friend in Whittier sent me photos of what it looked like from there, looking towards Brea. Not a good sight. Or neighbor at the hideaway is a retired forest service fireman, yep, brave beyond imagination and they don't even think twice about it. Heroes.

Middle Child said...

Wow, all your grandkids, and your kids...all together. That must have felt so wonderful and an achievement to pull off.

We are in our fire season right now, hard to hear that your fires are still a problem.

I know way back they exported a lot of gum trees (eucalyptus) to California from Australia - they just explode when a fire goes through, and people who have seen it say it just goes whoosh whoosh like mini explosions as the leaves have eucalyptus oil in them. May not be the problem in these latest fires.