There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Just giving the facts.....

... no whining.....well, maybe a little.

We are once again in a record breaking winter in terms of snow fall over a period of time. Our nearest airport hub, Spokane, has had the largest amount of measurable snow in 100 years. Our little corner of Sandpoint is not far behind. Seattle has essentially come to a halt.

The satellite is hit and miss, and the phone for some odd reason is choosing to work....or not.

Steve has moved snow, the wind blows, he moves the same snow again over and over. We have snow dunes all over the place and because we are on the south side of the street, the plow driver pushes most of the snow to our side. The wind is blowing North to South....makes sense in a plow sort of way.

We have no Christmas tree.....I am not exactly sure why. I have no urge to decorate and I would bet Steve feels the same. We had such wonderful visits this year with the kids and Christmas is just not the same without kids around. I guess our ages are showing.

We sent off small gift offerings this year. We asked that the kids forgo sending us anything but pictures. So far two of them have ignored that request. I got Steve one of those "slankets" to wrap up in while he watches TV and a great ink drawing of a man on a tractor with Steve's name incorporated into the drawing. It's really cool looking. I had asked for a Kindle for my birthday but that didn't happen. Won't happen for Christmas either. What I did get is a gadget that makes grocery lists by voice recognition. It has a huge internal library and all I have to do is push a button, talk into the thing and it keeps my list going until I erase it. I can add items to the Library, create several different lists and it is fun to use....a little boring as far as reading goes, but fun. I got to open it early because I brought the package inside after the UPS guy got stuck in the driveway and Steve yelled for me to bring down cat litter.....yes, he was chained up. What was in the box was plastered all over the outside.

The heater is not fixed. Penelope is on a second medication for her shoulder injury. Not helping. She goes to the vet today if we can get out the driveway.

The turkey is defrosting. We will make a huge dinner just like we did on Thanksgiving. We just finished the frozen left overs from that meal. We really do have fun preparing and cooking together.

My daughter is flying up on the 27th and stays until the 30th. I hope she can get out of California. She connects on the inbound flight through Salt Lake City. If Spokane has its act together, she might be OK. Going home she goes through Seattle. She might have a bit of an extended visit.

My wish for all of you is a happy, joyous holiday and a better New Year. I hope you know how much I appreciate all of your comments and the great pleasure I get from reading all of your posts. If you track visits you already know in the wee hours of the morning when sleep is not happening for me, I am at the computer clicking away reading blogs. Two of my children read my blog consistently and that is a blessing for sure. Kiss, kiss to all of you. Here are the last pictures I will probably post for 2008....because how many times can anyone get excited by snow?

Looking east from the balcony.....it's snowing.
Steve cleared off the balcony rail and I took this photo exactly 2 hours later....it's snowing.

Here is the pole building looking west. If you look at the forefront of the picture you can tell how deep the snow is. We had shoveled straight out and the berm is to the right. There is about 4 feet of snow. Still snowing.

16 comments:

kenju said...

Oh, Rosemary! I wish I could whisk in there on a broom (a first class one, of course) and take you off to milder climes and beautiful Christmas trees to gaze at!! Your photos are beautiful - but that's as close as I want to come to it.

Merry Christmas and I hope that you have a warm spell and all that snow melts quickly!

jan said...

That list thing sounds fantastic. What is it called? I'm always writing down things to remember and then don't know what "mrlyzzq" means when I go back to it. I hope you have a great Christmas, even though not a lot of people will be around for the day.

sageweb said...

wow you are getting some crazy weather. I am cold just looking at your photos. I am suppose to be in Portland next week, I hope it warms up. Have a great xmas!!

Barb said...

And this winter was suppose to be a mild one??????????????? Ha! what do the weather men know anyway. Can't rely on them at all for a true prediction.

Hang in there and hopefully all our snow will melt in an early spring.

I sure do miss the garage at times like this. Not fun shoveling and trying to get the windows on the car de-iced for driving. So many things I still miss from living on Rapid Lightning. Wonder how John is feeling with all this snow on top of him!!!!

Sling said...

Looks like you guys are dug in 'till Spring.
Send up smoke signals if you need anything.
Merry Christmas rosie!

Cazzie!!! said...

No THAT'S a cold Christmas for ya!
Just simply gorgeous images!

Mom said...

Well, you won't have to just dream of a white Christmas. the pictures do look beautiful, but I am not a cold weather girl.
Blessings to you both and have a merry Christmas.

jp said...

Kids who send gifts when they have been explicitly told not to have been raised by amazing parents.

I made that up, but it makes sense to me.

madretz said...

Merry Christmas my friend! Stay warm and cozy with your Beloved and your fur family.

more cowbell said...

We don't have quite as much as you do, but like you said, the Seattle area is all but shut down. They're still refusing to use salt, which has plenty of folks plenty pissed off. we're due for more tonight, and again tomorrow.

But don't worry -- there's no such thing as climate change. Dubya says so.

Have a wonderful dinner and holiday, Rosemary. Here's to hoping your daughter gets in with no trouble.

Miss Healthypants said...

Sorry you've had some troubles lately, Rosie...but I hope you have a happy, uplifting Christmas and a very joyous New Year!! :)

Also, I just commented on Lorraine's blog that I'm beginning to wonder if there's any place in the U.S. where it's NOT snowing! This has been a crazy year!!

Let's drink a toast to better weather in the New Year, huh? *smiles*

Evil Twin's Wife said...

At least you can say you'll have a white Christmas... we're just having a wet and windy one. Merry Christmas!

Jennie said...

Merry Christmas Rosemary!
Thanks for your gift of friendship.
Don't wander out in that snow too far, I'd like to hear from you sometime before the thaw.

Kimberly Ann said...

Merry Christmas!!!

Jerry in Tampa said...

Hey Rosemary! I want to wish you a very Merry Christmas and I hope 2009 will see all your dreams come true!

My best,

Jerry in Tampa

Middle Child said...

That'd freeze the balls off a brass monkey...Its been stinking hot here, but today is beautiful... overcast and cool..aaahhh