There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The evolution of the PDA

Steve needed a large tote. Being a perfect wife, I emptied my large tote that was in the garage so Steve could use it. Stored in this tote were memories; t-shirts from places visited, book ends made by Gil, a ceramic spoon rest made by Christine and a wood candle holder made by Art.......and on the very bottom of the tote was my mother's PDA.

This PDA is made of wood and bound together with leather. It has a copper plate on the front with the family name and a leaf decoration. It is well over 65 years old and is called an address book. The letter tabs are all broken off, the leather strap has come apart and the pages are crumbling....but it is still beautiful. My mother was incredibly talented. She could sew like a professional, crochet, knit, paint, draw and created a planter, wall decor and this PDA with copper.

Mom carried this book everywhere. I remember it being in her purse, on the front seat of the car, and she always took it inside when we visited someone. Did she call people from her friend's homes? What information in this book was so valuable to her? It isn't a date book....it is an address/phone number book. I remember lots of the folks listed in the book.....of course all of the family info is written there in my mom's beautiful Catholic school girl handwriting....my uncles Sonny, Augie and Sugar, my moms brothers, are listed on the front page along with my grandmother.

As I looked at the pages I wondered what ever happened to Millie Boisvert, Kay and Chappie Chapman, Vivian and Potsie Potts, or Mrs. Dunnivan my first babysitter? Who was Dan on Figueroa in L.A. or Jack Foster? Is Lynn Kirkland still around? How about the handsome Fleming brothers; are they still alive? The name and address of my Godmother Rose is there. She lived in Long Beach. We visited her a lot when I was small. It was always an overnight trip because my mom said it was too long a drive to do all in one day.

Sears had a repair number back then and Dr. Wisotsky has girdle written next to his name.

My dad had written on one of the pages Dad & Mom Oct 13 1902 married at Allen County Ohio. Good to know this about the grandparents who never said my name out loud.

I had added a few entries as well. Obviously the talent gene passed me by.

See how beautiful the book is?


I must have been in a monster mood this day.....the opposite page has all of my dad's family listed. Rowena and LaDoyt, Ruby and Cloyce, Ilo and Earl and there is Harold Bible.


Did you know I was the originator of the happy face, sad face and crying face?


What better place to practice printing my name than under Pee Wee's Garage!

I have put the book in a plastic bag and tucked it away. I don't think I will look through it again. It is too fragile and too important, holds too many memories and reminders of how fast time goes by.

18 comments:

sageweb said...

That is a beautiful book. How cool your artistry is part of it.

jan said...

Lovely post. As a low tech person, I can relate to this kind of PDA quite easily. I can't imagine a piece of technology of today bringing back memories.

Barb said...

Being the artistic person that I know you are, maybe you could preserve some of the more important memorabilia under glass and hang on your walls?

kenju said...

You are SO lucky to have that with all those memories. I don't know what happened to my mom's address book, but I'd wonder about many of the people in it like you did. And having your drawings and name will make it extremely special for your children some day. Keep it safe!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

That is precious! You and I also had very similar handwriting as children. ;-)

Miss Healthypants said...

Wow, what a treasure! :)

Middle Child said...

If you can get it preserved...it is a keepsake...brought tears to my eyes, especially seeing your child hand write Rosemary all those years ago...thats just so beautiful

Chris said...

Just beautiful. What a treasure.

madretz said...

The best PDA I've ever seen. It's amazing, she was very talented. A great heirloom.

cs said...

Isn't this great stuff? Oh how I enjoyed looking at this today, Ro. Neat PDA. I wish I had my mother's...
ha, the g-parents who didn't you either? I had the same. I was too rowdy for them being a tom-boy and all. They thought little girls should be proper, play with dolls and cut-outs. Not me--running, football, baseball and tumbling. Boys and sons were the heroes. tsk tsk

You're a good nurse Ro. Blessings to you and yours while all this is going on...makes me so sad.

hugs!

Kimberly Ann said...

What a wonderful memento. I particularly loved your three faces.

Sling said...

Oh,that's just beautiful Rosemary!
Are you gettin' any royalties from inventing the Happy Face?

Delci said...

I don't know . . . that looks more like a bad hair day than a monster.

Shammickite said...

I'm still trying to figure out what PDA stands for.

rosemary said...

shammickite: Personal Digital Assistant....like Palm Pilot or a Blackberry

Jennie said...

I'm glad someone asked about the PDA thing, I was too embarassed to. I love seeing your little name there.

Mom said...

what a beautiful treasure of memories. Store it safely to be passed on to your grandkids one day. That original happy face must be very valuable.

sexy said...

寄情築園小遊戲,AIO交友愛情館,色情遊戲,情色交友,嘟嘟情人色網,言情小說,一葉情貼圖片區,情色論壇,色情影片,情色網,色情漫畫,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,視訊聊天室,080聊天室,視訊聊天,美女交友,視訊做愛,情色視訊,免費視訊