There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Saturday, January 03, 2009

See....SEE?

Mother Nature is fickle. Or maybe she needs some serious help. There is a homeopathic/naturalist healing kind of guy in town. I could call and make an appointment for Mother because this weather is just not right. It is downright screwy. Yesterday it was snowing like crazy and the temp was 28.

It is currently......umm, minus 4. It was minus 6 when we got up at 7. So......

I went outside and what do I see? The sun. How can it be minus 4, sunny, and there is a ton of snow on the ground? It just is. The snow on the right is the actual depth. On the left is where Steve snow throws. This is looking North.


Here we have the Southern side. Actual depth is in front of the windows that are partially obscured.
Looking out the driveway....actually a lovely sight.
Part of the snow has fallen off the overhang. When it warms up (to what; oh maybe 20) the rest should go kaboom!



Spokane had the largest amount of snowfall in December ever recorded and a total of 132 inches for the calendar year 2008. Let's see 132 divided by 12 = ELEVEN FEET OF SNOW. That is a lot of snow for Spokane. They are reporting 28 roofs on commercial buildings have collapsed. These are flat roofed buildings where the idiots didn't shovel them off. Sandpoint? Just plodding along, plows working as usual, roofs being shoveled and everyone driving carefully for the most part. We have a bit of experience with snow . We get tons every winter. We had a few roof collapses last year on residences but only one serious leak/sag problem on a commercial site.

Cabin fever is at an all time reading, however. Mine is at about 200 degrees. JP suggested we get some penguins to keep the kitties company. I am thinking we just might be able to save the polar bears up here. If I could just get enough fish to feed them, we could keep them quite comfortable out by the pole building.

13 comments:

madretz said...

How bizarre to have those sunny days and minus degrees. Hopefully the bit of sunshine, despite the frigid cold helps somewhat. We wonder about our deck at the cabin. The neighbors shovel theirs. We are naive cityfolk and never have. But the most snow we get built up is 3-4 feet.
Happy Near Year!

utenzi said...

That'[s too damn cold for me, Rosemary. I grew up with temps like that and I have no intention of ever enduring them again! The past few days were too cold for me and it never dipped below 25f.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

That's insane! We get snow here, but not nearly that much. Probably not even that much in an entire winter!

Jennie said...

Wow, those pictures never fail to amaze me. And they never fail to make me think: my kids would go ballistic! And then I start thinking about all the wet socks and mittens...Rosemary I forget, you're not from up there originally, are you?

jan said...

I would take any temperature as long as I could see the sun. We've had so many overcast days, but now the sun is coming back to earth and I hope to see it.

rosemary said...

nope, jennie....I was born and raised in Southern California and lived there and only there until 1998 when we moved to North Idaho which is different from just Idaho because i now realize that only crazy people live here full time.

CRAIG and DIANE said...

It is because of the snow in Spokane that we will not be going home this month. Our truck is buried under 5 feet of snow at the Company yard. We will be taking a couple of days off in California next weekend and hope that the snow melts some so that I can go HOME by February!

Middle Child said...

Oh boy...and here am i whining because the weeds are taking over this summer...A bit too cold for me....but nice snuggling up weather for sure.

Put the cold feet on someone you love hey.

Sling said...

I love those sunny days in winter when the snow is all crunchy and the penguins and kitties are playing in the yard with the polar bears!
I miss that stuff.

kenju said...

I don't know how you do it. I could never live where that much snow is possible!

Miss Healthypants said...

Wow, I can't believe you still have so much snow!--and cold!

Here the snow melted when we had a couple of warm days...but I'm sure it'll be back! Temperatures are in the 20's and 30's--which is better than the below-zeros! :)

Mom said...

That snow is beautiful, but it looks awfully cold. I may be a little crazy, but not crazy enough to move to northern Idaho. When I decide to visit northern Idaho it will have to be in the summer.

sageweb said...

I just spent 3 days in a fraction of the snow you have and it drove me nuts...I couldnt wait to see my palm trees and ocean today.