There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sliding down that slippery slope again....

Update: Fuzz has cancer. I took him in this morning (Wednesday) for the ultra sound. He has just a short time left. We will pick him up tomorrow so we have a few more days with him at home.

Fuzzy is sick.....really sick. About a week ago he vomited. Of course he has vomited in the past and was just fine so I wasn't concerned. By Friday he was spending a lot of time on the couch. Again, he naps, that's what cats do but the couch wasn't his usual nap spot. Saturday night I was in the snorage room while he was using the litter box. After he got out of the box he went to the water bowl, took some long drinks and promptly vomited it all up. By Sunday afternoon it was obvious he was off kilter. Monday morning I called the vet and took him in at 3:30 yesterday. He has elevated blood lipase and amylase levels and that should mean pancreatitis. But x-rays show something going on with his small bowel and that could mean cancer. Either way he is in a bad place.

He had stopped eating and drinking so he got some subQ fluids at the vets office plus a shot for nausea, an antibiotic shot and a pain shot. Today I am finger feeding him baby food and giving him small amounts of fluid by syringe. He is miserable. I will call the vet in the morning and he will probably go back for, at a minimum, more fluids and possibly an ultrasound for a more definitive diagnosis.

Fuzzy is 12. He is Mimi's brother and my doodle head. I got Fuzz and Mimi from a co-worker in 1997. Their mommy was Siamese and Dad was a gypsy. Fuzz was named before he was born, but had I known he would be so regal looking I might have named him Frederick or maybe Edward. But, Fuzzy fits his personality. He is sweet, lovable, snoozes in my lap whenever he gets the chance and loves to steal any one's food; human, canine or feline.

Steve made a kitty playpen for Fuzzy when we moved to Idaho. The playpen is a 3 sided wood frame covered in chicken wire, pushed up to the slider door with an opening cut in the screen so he could go in and out. Fuzz can be found at the slider bright and early every morning asking to go outside so he can lay in a sunbeam or rain shower or feel the wind. He hates winter because the playpen goes away and he is stuck looking out a window at the snow and birds.

When not at the slider, napping on our bed or in the napper, Fuzz lays on the rug in the snorage room on his back hoping someone comes along to rub his tummy. I can't imagine not having Fuzzy. He is the man of the cat family. He was Drake's pal comforting her when she was sick, he keeps Mimi in line when she hogs the heated bed, and has taught the babies manners. He loves me more than anyone, human or pet.

The next day or two will tell the rest of the tale. I am giving him antibiotics and pain meds three times a day and if he doesn't rally somewhat by Thursday we will have the ultra sound done. If it is cancer, we will keep him comfortable until he isn't comfortable anymore. If it is pancreatitis and he doesn't respond, we will keep him comfortable until he isn't comfortable anymore.
I just don't know how my old heart can stand to lose another little, sweet creature. These cats, these dogs have given me so much love, so much companionship, comfort, laughs and wonderful memories. I have taken Fuzzy for granted I think. He has never been demanding, never complained when I squeezed him or kissed him and continued to be faithful to me when I didn't have time to rub that soft tummy. Kiss, kiss my sweet Fuzz. I love you.

14 comments:

kenju said...

Rosemary, I am so sorry for you and for Fuzzy's illness. Your animals are so important to you and I know how it hurts to lose one. I hope he will recover.

My girls are over 13 now, and I guess that sooner or later, one of them will get ill. I don't know how I will bear it. They follow me around the house from room to room all day long and sleep on my lap all evening.

Mom said...

I'm sure you sweet Fuzz knows he is loved.He has brought you such joy. We will hope the medicines will help him feel better.

Middle Child said...

Having lost my lovely cat Archimedes in 2007 and my lovely Thorn doggie this year ...My heart goes out to you...I hope your cat is okay and no problems...I hope he lives to 21 and loves every moment of it.

sageweb said...

Oh Rosemary, I know how hard it is to have a sick pet. I wish I could give you a big hug and rub fuzzy on the belly.

jan said...

You are doing all we mortals can do for our animals. They trust us to make the right decisions and I know you will.

Shammickite said...

Poor Fuzzy.
And poor Rosie.
Hugs to both of you.

Barb said...

I am so sorry Rosemary! You have had a tough time lately what with Penny being sick too. Wish I could help somehow. Fuzz has had a great life up til now and I know he understands how much he is loved.

Thinking of you!
Love
Barb

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I am so sorry to hear the news. One good way of looking at this is by thinking of all the wonderful years of love you experienced with him in your life. What would the last 12 years have been like without that love? He's lucky to have you for a mom.

Miss Healthypants said...

Oh Rosemary, I'm SO sorry! My cats are 12, too, and I don't know how I'd live without them...our one cat follows me all around the house, and the other one has her "mommy" time in the morning when I exercise. They are my first "real" pets (even though I loved my hamster, it wasn't like a cat or dog), so I don't know how I'll handle them getting sick...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Fuzzy.

Lorraine said...

You know I know how you feel and I'm sorry for your pain. Truly.

madretz said...

oh sweety, you may imagine how much i am bawling now. i would not want anyone to have to go through that heartache, yet both of us have to endure it just weeks within each other. My heart goes out to you and your sweet, beautiful Fuzz. Big hugs my dear friend.

Middle Child said...

Hope things going...been think about you...hope things are going as well as expected.

cs said...

Oh sweet northern friend...I am so sorry. Man o man, you just were there at the vets last year with similar woes...sheesh, Ro, sending love and hugs...

gina said...

I'm thinking about you, Rosemary.... Ali is 12 now too. So far, she's fine, but I can't help but worry about her as she ages. They become such a huge part of our lives, don't they? Poor Fuzz, poor Rosemary....hugs to you both.