There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Saturday, February 07, 2009

An update....

It has been an interesting 9 or so days for Fuzzy. On Monday the 2nd I called the vet and made "the" appointment. Fuzzy had a horrible weekend. We had been giving him 4 injections a day; 3 pain shots and a nausea shot. On Monday morning Fuzz decided enough was enough. While I was holding him wearing a jacket and my bulky dish gloves, he bit Steve (he is the injector, I am the chicken cat holder who had already been chomped on). So, we agreed that we had tortured him enough too. He was leaving his bed in the office to walk two steps to the water bowl, taking two more steps to use the litter box and was taking baby food from my finger. That was his day.

The appointment was for Wednesday at 4pm. So, Tuesday I am sitting at the computer looking at shoes at Za%%o's and who should stroll into the room acting like he is Mr. I. Am. So. Not. Sick.......Fuzz. I was amazed. I quickly shut the door, ran into the kitchen to get some real kitty food...canned.....brought it back into the room and he ate it!!!! He moseyed around for a bit after that....I think he was confused actually, but he did some exploring and then went back into the office for a nap. That night for the first time he let me hold him for over an hour. I was rubbing his head and tummy just like I used to and when it was time for bed, I put him in the office with more food and closed the door. Wednesday morning the food was almost all gone and he seemed more alert than he had for days. I canceled the appointment.

Steve and I saw the ultrasound. Fuzzy has a huge...and I mean huge tumor at the junction of his small and large bowel. The lumen of his bowel is about the size of a toothpick. Eventually the tumor will obstruct his bowel and that will be the end.

I am not sure what is going on with him at the moment...a rebound or awakening from a drug stupor, or what ever it is.....but he is taking in small amounts of kitty food throughout the day all by himself, he sits with me at night and we watch some TV, and he explores (OK, he is lost) the house sometimes during the day. The vet said she is also amazed, forget the pain meds oral or injected for now and just watch him carefully so he doesn't fall down the stairs or end up in a place where he can't get out. I have backup oral meds should he show signs of pain and we are positive that Fuzzy will let us know when time is up.

See the sad little place on his leg where his IV was? Sniff.


His little tummy had to be shaved for the ultrasound.....sniff, sniff.


He managed to crawl under the blanket on the bed in the office. Isn't that the sweetest paw ever? 3 sniffs.
Mimi manages to always hog the heated bed, so we got a heated pad for Fuzz today. I can't stop sniffing.

16 comments:

Mom said...

We will happily receive all miracles and blessings that come our way. I'm glad Fuzz is having good days.

Sling said...

Oh Rosie,he's such a brave little guy.

kenju said...

It's nice of him to rally for you. I hope he will remain comfortable, Rosemary.

Jennie said...

You're a good nurse. It's so sad. He's so comfortable there with you though. ~Sniff~ Poor guy.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

That's so sad, but I'm glad he seems to be doing alright for a few days. I know it seems really sad, but there is nothing like cute pink cat belly.

Barb said...

Oh, Rosemary, I am so very sorry. Looking at those pictures and reading your story brought tears streaming down my face too. I know Mimi doesn't like me but Fuzz did.
Please keep us all updated on the little rascal. He knows he is sooo loved.

rosemary said...

Thank you all so much for the sweet words.....I know I am one of those weird old ladies with my pets as the focus of my life....I promise I won't end up with a catzillion animals when I pass old and become ancient. I cry about Fuzz every day. BARB: You should not take it personally about Mimi Louise. She doesn't like anyone...most days she doesn't like me or Steve.

Shammickite said...

Hooray for Fuzz, but even though he is eating again, it's probably a matter of time. I'll be thinking of you.

Cazzie!!! said...

You are such a good mum to him, and a good nurse, I am sure that is why he is staying around..you are gorgeous..huggs and kisses to him.

gina said...

I'm so glad he is rallying, despite his grim prognosis. At least you'll have some great "last days" with him. I wish I could make it all better, Rosemary... hugs to you ALL (human and animal).

Chris said...

I have been checking everyday for Fuzz updates. I am glad to see he is doing and feeling better. Bless his little heart.

sageweb said...

A big HUG for you and Fuzz.

madretz said...

kitty smooches from afar.

Miss Healthypants said...

That paw picture is soooo sweet. I do really feel for you and Fuzzy...glad to hear he's rebounded a bit these days.

more cowbell said...

Oh Rosemary, I'm so sorry to hear this. That's so hard.

Middle Child said...

Animals have miraculuous powers at times...Thorn had a few days where I though..."he's getting better" maybe thats a gift for us from them.
Take care