There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Monday, March 30, 2009

A day in the life of a......

....hospice dog. Sweet Penelope.....sad, sweet Penelope. The light is going out in her eyes. She has so few days left to enjoy going outside and damn if it didn't snow six inches overnight. It is wet, slippery snow and we have to hold on to her so she doesn't fall. Not fun for her at all.

She likes to eat thanks to the Prednisone...regardless of the reason, breakfast and dinner are the high spots of her day! She can't put weight on her right front leg at all....mainly because the tumor is so large and has pulled her leg up and there is no shoulder movement at all.

I did the black squiggly line thing around the area of tumor. Osteosarcoma in canines does not "jump the joint." If there is cancer in one part of the leg, it does not spread to the rest of the leg....it will metastasize to another body organ. There is a long hard line of something moving up and away from her shoulder. Rib? Lung? Neck cancer? Time will tell. She is not in much pain. We take care of that fast. She is on 90 mg of codeine.....yes, she sleeps a lot but still enjoys time with Steve and that is what matters now. I have told Steve he will be the determiner of when it is time to put her to sleep. She spends pretty much all of her time with him; he takes her out to potty, she naps almost exclusively in his office and where ever Steve is there is Penelope.

She can only lay on her left side and I bet that is annoying. If I had to lay on one side only I would be beyond irritable.



13 comments:

Jennie said...

Oh, she's so sweet. It's so hard to watch. But she looks happy and that is because of you!

sageweb said...

Oh poor Penelope.. brings tears to my eyes. I have you and Steve and Penelope in my thoughts..I know how tough it is.

kenju said...

I can only hope that when my time comes, someone will take just as good care of me!

She looks so sweet, and I know how hard it must be for Steve.

Lorraine said...

That makes me soooo sad. I'm glad Penelope has such loving parents and that you have this time to love on her.

jp said...

If she wasn't hoisting that leg I'd have never known she was sick. What a trooper!

jan said...

Such bittersweet moments. More than I like to remember. It seems so unfair that they have such comparatively short lifespans. But they give so many happy memories.

I wrote a poem about you on my blog. It wasn't too insulting either.

Miss Healthypants said...

Poor poor Penelope...thank God she has such great people parents that keep her out of pain. :)

Sling said...

Penelope looks so brave.
That is genuine dignity right there.

Shammickite said...

I'm so sad for you and Steve and your family of animals. But I am so happy that you are taking such good care of her. And you know that it's almost time to say goodbye.

yellowdog granny said...

if anyone knows what you're going thru..it's me..will light candle and send out a prayer for your little friend..

Middle Child said...

I know that look...its how my lovely Thorn looked in the weeks before he passed on. It is sad, but doggies don't think its sad. They know long before we know and their sweet acceptance is a lesson for us...for them passing out of life sweetly is part of the whole. You guys will ensure that suffering is minimised..just be ther in front of her eyes towards the end. Thornie needed to keep me in sight the night before he died... we mean more to them than what we realise...take care...

madretz said...

awwweee...sweet pup pup Penelope. Still so full of love and beautiful as ever. I know how agonizing each passing day must be, treasure each and every one.

more cowbell said...

She is a sweet dog, Rosemary. You guys are so smart to focus on her having fun and good feelings now - it must be hard not to give in to sadness. I empathize with the sleeping only one side thing ... that's frustrating after a while. At least the codeine probably helps with that!

You can tell from the pics that she's a well loved dog and knows it.