There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Thursday, June 04, 2009

A bit of nostalgia.

I recently became an esteemed member of Starcre$t, a mail order company that sends out envelopes full of 5x7 glossies with items for sale. Most of these items are inexpensive, poorly manufactured and probably come from China. I did manage to find a magnetic map of the USA that I ordered for several of my grandchildren....and one for me too. I also got some spring loaded drawer dividers and a spoon rest all for less than 20 bucks and free shipping.

Since that first order I have received 6 more envelopes stuffed with the oddest things to buy. Below are a few of the previously popular (like decades ago popular) items available.

Anyone remember having one of these in their childhood home? I do. I loved to run that plastic thing up and down the front and click the lid open over and over again....much to the annoyance of my mother. I remember printing my own name in the book and again managed to annoy my mother because I did it in ink and there were no refill pages left.

Anyone ever sleep with one of these? I did. With the "bubble" being the fashion hairdo in the late 50's and early 60's this was a must. Way too much work to backcomb my hair and hair spray it until it was like a helmet every day ....why, no, I would just put one of these on at night, sleep on my back, take it off in the morning, use the handle of a rat tail comb to poke and pull my hair into place and re-apply more hair spray. My hair didn't get combed out until the hair spray looked like white crusty stuff on my hair. Seriously.

And here is my favorite. I used these but they were simply called "spoolies." They were made of soft rubber and you would open them, curl your hair around the middle "spool" and then just push the soft top over the spool. Wallah, instant weird looking ringlets......just what I needed, more curls. These are the modern version of the cloth strips my mother used to create more controlled curls in my hair. I remember using them as a teenager...hated the "look." I think they were the precursor to hot rollers.
Some of the other items available are: double loop blackhead extractors, ingrown toenail picks, tush wipes, plastic/elastic bowl covers, shoe lifts, flip down magnifier glasses for putting make-up on, mesh outdoor food covers to keep wasps away...they have little bugs woven into the mesh, and just tons of other bygone era items. They all made me laugh. I also got a 2 piece ShamWow for under 6 bucks....just FYI.

16 comments:

yellowdog granny said...

oh my..i used to have one of each of those...brings back some old memories..maninly trying to figure out how to sleep with the spoolies and the hooded plastic thingy..oh my goddess...

Jennie said...

My grammy used to use those hair spools on my sister and cousin's thin hair when they were young. I may still have them, they were pink. I have an old tin of my gram's curlers, can't seem to give up, they're so beautifully nostalgic for me.

jan said...

I've made a lot of mistakes in my life but one that I didn't make was to wear the bubble back combed hair do. I've had the same hair do forever. Think Dutch boy paint but a little longer and turned under.

kenju said...

All stuff I have had at one time and no longer need. I remember when people wrapped their heads in toilet paper every night to preserve the bubble!!

jp said...

I need to have most of those things. Except for the bubble hair maker; I have no need for that.

Mom said...

What a funny catalog. I wonder where they got all that stuff and who buys it now. I've used all that stuff in my time.

Sling said...

All I ever wanted as a pre-pubescent ten year old reader of Action Comics,was a genuine pair of X-Ray glasses!..Do they have those?
..I'll gladly pay the $1.95 +shipping and handling.

sageweb said...

I want all those things! They are all perfect little items that bring smiles to everyones face.

Miss Healthypants said...

I love those type of catalogs--my Mom used to get them all the time. As a teenager, I used to order all kinds of crap from there. Too funny. :)

Shammickite said...

What... no sea-monkeys?

Cazzie!!! said...

I used to LOVE playing with that teledex! I forgot about it until now, and also, my Gran had a seat, a phone seat, with a little table attatched to sit the phone on and a rack underneath for the phone books.... a trip down memory lane.

madretz said...

that's one of the reasons i like browsing through antique shops...looking at all that memorabilia from my childhood and thinking "dang, if i had only kept that whatitscrapolajunk that my mom had instead of sending it all to goodwill." I mean, logically, i know i couldn't take everything, but when I see it in shops for a whopping $6, then I regret giving it away. Altho, just seeing the whatitscrapolajunk makes me feel nostalgic so it's all good.

Boy About Town LB said...

I am so glad us boys have never had to put those things in our hair...some of us do it because we want to, but that is a different story!

Middle Child said...

There is a company over here called magna mail which has stuff like this...its pretty wierd stuff but occasionally there is a gem

sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣,情色,成人,A片,自拍,情趣用品,情趣,色情,成人影片,色情影片,免費A片,情趣用品,情趣,成人網站,A片下載,日本AV,做愛,情趣用品,情趣,美女交友,A片,辣妹視訊,情色視訊,情趣用品,情趣,色情聊天室,聊天室,AV,成人電影

情色,A片,AIO,AV,日本AV,色情A片,AV女優,A漫,免費A片,A片下載,情色A片,哈啦聊天室,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,色情聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費視訊聊天,上班族聊天室,080中部人聊天室,視訊聊天室,視訊聊天,成人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,辣妹視訊,情色視訊,成人,成人影片,成人光碟,成人影城,自拍

more cowbell said...

Rosemary: This was a fun post. Did you use AquaNet as your hairspray? That stuff is hardcore. My one grandma used it in a style similar to yours, and my sister used it in the 80s to shellac her feathered hair into place. Those spoolies actually look like they'd work...

Sexy: Spammers never prosper.