There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Thursday, June 18, 2009

Fish lips, feathers and kids.

Our trip was topped off with whipped cream and cherries when we went to the Long Beach Aquarium on Friday with Gil, Sachiko and Spencer. This little family loves the Aquarium so much they have year round tickets. We were given guest tickets for Mother's and Father's day so we already knew an adventure was waiting. Sachiko and Spencer are perfect tour guides because they know all of the "good places."

Spencer had a great time getting wet on a squid......he knows exactly when the spouts go off and managed to direct some of the water onto the parents standing on the sidelines. Everyone squealed with joy.




Sachiko befriended this sort of Wallaby....I have forgotten its official name. She talked to it and told it she was sorry it was behind a fence.


Lorikeet forest was great fun.....bird poop and not so happy birds aside.

You can buy sweet water to feed the birds. Obviously Sachi and Spencer know just the right technique to get the birds to snack with them.

Speaking of snacks....time out for some grapes and string cheese.
The Aquarium itself is absolutely wondrous.....with everyone looking closely we were able to find all kinds of water secrets.

Anemones look so soft and are colorful (That is not an anemone in Sachi's hand...that's Holly WebKinz).
My little boy was fascinated....as if it was his first visit.
The kids could identify lots of the fish in the big tanks.


My little girl smiled happily.


Pools of small rays are fun for little hands to touch. To be honest....I didn't touch one ray.....not a little one and for sure not the ones as big as a flying saucer.

The day ended with a late lunch at Bubba Gumps. I had grilled shrimp tacos. There were three of them and they were huge. Popcorn shrimp, fries, blue and pink drinks and iced tea decorated the table as well.

We had a great time and hopefully the next time we are in California the kids will take us to the Aquarium again.

As if whipped cream and cherries weren't enough......we added nuts on Saturday. One of our favorite places is the Redondo Beach Pier. The last time we were there was for my 50th birthday....almost 15 years ago. We were meeting Chris and my brother-in-law at Tony's for dinner. Tony's serves some of the best sea food around. Here is a long shot.......then

...a little bit closer.

A view from the pier. The weather was perfect. We sat on benches and people watched. Interesting to say the least.

This fellow was not happy.....he was quietly sitting on his rail taking a snooze when who should come along but a bunch of tourists from a bus snapping pictures, flashes going off all around(I was standing quite a distance away) and folks and kids acting stupid trying to jump close and touch him. He rightfully took a nip at some one's hand. Took care of that group really fast.

We strolled over to a bench to sit and look at the ocean. Steve pointed out one bench to sit on...I said, No. Let's sit over there where the sun isn't in my face. I managed to lean into pigeon or gull poop on the back of the bench. Did you know pigeon or gull poop stains do not come out of a white t-shirt or off a handbag fabric strap? They don't....not even with stain remover and a tooth brushing.

We stayed at the Costa Mesa Marriott Hotel for both graduation trips. Great place to relax. You know, when we travel I am rarely bothered with the every day aches and pains that plague me at home. Proof I think, that I was meant to be, at a minimum, a Princess.

We flew home early Sunday. I had 5 loads of wash to do. The end.



14 comments:

jp said...

It wasn't the good handbag, was it? The one with the fancy name?

Didn't those Stingrays kill the crocodile hunter? You were wise not to put your hand in that tank.

jan said...

I just finished reading an article by an animal rights activist on the evils of keeping animals in captivity for our entertainment. And then i read your lovely post. And you know what I think of the evil animal rights wackos.

rosemary said...

jp: It was the fancy bag with LV all over it....the one that goes cross body so an entire length of strap is poop stained. There was a ray that was the size of one of those really old satellite dishes. They scared me.

Jan: I have to admit I felt sorry for the Wallaby. There were 3 of them...nocturnal creatures....with kids all around screaming and rattling the fence. The fish/seals/ducks...they were fine. There were stressed birds that had picked their feathers out. Again, I felt bad.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Wow - what a wonderful time. I love aquariums. Sorry about the bird poo on your handbag. I would keep trying different stain removers - or a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Those things are amazing.

Mom said...

Sounds like a lovely trip.
I love the Redondo Beach Pier. My brother lives near there and we go every time we visit.

Shammickite said...

I think that's the perfect excuse to go handbag shopping! That's what a Princess would do.

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

oh man..so much to say..first of all dont know if its cause im all weepy about my sick friend nitwit..or what..but looking at the kids made tears come to my eyes..they are so sweet looking and look so happy...and when i got to the picture of the 2 of them on the bench i cracked up laughing..look at the size of those shoes on him...oh my lord..how funny...he looks like he's wearing daddy's shoes...
and redondo beach..love that place..haven't been there is over 30 years...still beautiful...
glad you had such a great time with your beautiful family..

kenju said...

What a nice trip!! I love aquariums, but we don't have one close by. Your kids are darling!

Sling said...

Great pix Rosie!..they kinda made me homesick.
By the way,Manta rays don't sting..But then,Stingrays don't manta,so it all works out.

Cazzie!!! said...

How much fun! What gorgeous kids..absolutely! Loving it from here Down Under.

sageweb said...

I love that she told the wallaby that she was sorry it was caged.
What great pictures..I love Tonys! I love the aquarium too. You where in my hood!

Jennie said...

Looks like a great time! Cute kiddies!!!

Miss Healthypants said...

I love pelicans. We saw loads of them in Florida--but I didn't get too close--I didn't want to get nipped at! :)

Sounds like you had a great time!--fun! :)

more cowbell said...

How fun. Your recent posts have been so full of happiness and love - but also sad in a way, kids growing up. This made me realize we need to go to our aquarium. This is hte first year I didn't renew our zoo membership. The Bohemian is 21, but she loves the Tapir best of all, and reverts about 15 years when she goes through the entrance.