There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Fat cats.....

I have to let all of you know....Mimi reads/critiques my blog all of the time. She noticed that a number of you (ummm, three people I think) used these words in comments in the last post with her pictured in between photos of little tiny birds.....big Mimi cat fat. Her feelings were kind of hurt. Mimi sees herself as a full figured kitty....kind of like Venus de Milo but with arms and paws. Sniff.

Have I told you she is Fuzz's litter sister? That their mom was a regal Siamese kitty with real registered cat papers? That their mom got a little drunk one night and was unfaithful? Several times?

Did you know that Mimi has been on a diet since she was 2? She went from regular cat food to light cat food to Science Diet MD which is an Atkins's Kitty kinda Diet. She gets 1/3 of a cup of food a day. Sniff. She has to eat by herself in the little bathroom so no one steals her food. Did you know that Mimi has been in a bad mood since 1999?

I have always thought that Mimi was a beautiful cat. She has ocean green eyes and orange ticking on her fur. When she was a kitten she was happy and playful, but then something changed. She exercised very little, she slept more than the average cat, she had kitty dandruff, stopped interacting with Fuzz and Drakie and I was sure she had a thyroid problem. Nope, her thyroid was fine. And that was the start of more vet visits than I can count. There were diet changes, trying to drag her on a leash for a "walk", buying cat toys in the hopes she would want to play and move. But, nothing worked. She gained and gained and gained and even the vet wanted to stop weighing her when she reached 25 pounds. No lab test gave us a reason, no x-ray reason, no answer. Sniff.

So, Mimi has evolved into a rather strangely shaped kitty. She has a tiny head and neck, graceful legs and adorable little paws and a slender tail. It is her mid-section that is out of proportion. Really. She has a routine, a route. No job, no responsibility, she just does the same thing every day......kinda like me. She eats, sleeps, potties, eats, sleeps, potties and for good measure she might take a bath every now and then.

She is a loner. She used to nap with Fuzz; not anymore. She used to sit on my lap; not so much anymore. Sniff. She smacks any cat or any person that crosses her path. I love her anyway. She is my Mimi Louise, my Mimila, Moo. Just look at how beautiful she is!!!

Here she is in her bathroom. I stretch 1/3 of a cup out over the day so she is pretty much in and out of the bathroom all day long....exercise I figure.

When she is hungry she whines and miaows loudly. Here she is just generally irritated.

See? Beautiful, spoiled, regal like her cat mom and a tad overweight.

She fills out a kitty bed nicely.
And a chair too.

Last year when we took her to the vet (right after Sophia died from some freak blood weird disease/cancer and I was sure all of the cats were going to die) she had a full workup. She weighed 18 pounds then. Blood work was perfect and we even did some other obscure tests to be sure she was OK. Mimi is just....well, full figured. I told her I would get her some Spanx, that she might look a little better, but I had to admit I have never found undergarments comfortable, so she declined the offer. She is quite content with how she looks so I am just gonna leave her alone. I will be monitoring her computer usage and will try to keep her from reading comments.



15 comments:

jp said...

I have a theory that Mimi used to be a chain smoker. Congrats to her for giving that up, but the weight gain is a real bitch.

sageweb said...

Oh so cute, are you sure Mimi doesnt get in to the dog and other cat's food...just thinking she look like a 1/3 of a cup is a snack to her.

rosemary said...

jp....I never thought of the smoking possibility...would explain a lot.

Sage: because of her ummmm, size, she can barley get onto that chair. she absolutely can't jump. The other cat food is up on a high counter and Violet would make dessert of Mimi if she even got close to her bowl. BTW....she has pink paws to match her cute little nose.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

She's adorable!

jan said...

I think Mimi is beautifully full figured and proud. Live happy, Mimi. Skinny people are just jealous.

kenju said...

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, Mimi, you are beautiful despite your plumpness.

powdergirl said...

Girls just got a little junk in the trunk, she's working her zaftig thang.

cs said...

it's part of being princess

it's very hard work you know...

heavy sigh, turn your head and look away, lick the paw, and then wait for more....

Sling said...

From now on,I will only refer to Mimi in comments as 'Ruebenesque'..

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

i think she ate her other liter mate..

madretz said...

Mimi and I have a lot in common.

Shammickite said...

I think Mimi has her own kind of beauty, full-figured, queen-size, XXL, whatever you like to call it, she's just lovely! And you can tell her I said so if you like.

Barb said...

Mimi Louise! If you are reading this I just want you to know it's not fun having people call you those nasty names is it? Remember me? I came and took care of you once and you wouldn't let me in the kitchen. You kept swatting and hissing at me on the stairs. I know you don't like me but I never called you a bad name like those other people did! You just remember that when I visit next time OK?

Miss Healthypants said...

Oh, my cats are just as fat--so Mimi is not alone! :)

I'm also laughing, thinking of how challenging it would be to get some Spanx onto your cat! *hee hee*

Middle Child said...

Maybe she is just how she is meant to be. Who are we to say?