There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Thursday, August 27, 2009

Bambi love....or not....

Steve has been gone for a few days. For most of the summer he has been CEO of bird, squirrel and Bambi feeding. Steve is up early every day....and I am too, thank you very much, Steve.....and the Bambis are used to being fed by 6:30 at the latest.

I have managed to sleep in every day this week....wow, until 6:45 today....and so the Bambis have been fed later. The Bambis know Steve; know his smell, the sound of his voice, his gait.....whatever it is that makes Steve OK and safe to a Bambi. Me? Not so much.

Yesterday the Bambis were not happy with me; and this morning they were just plain old irritated. This was the greeter.....
Here are the girls that were waiting behind the greeter......nothing worse than a group of irritated, hungry, pampered does.


If you watch and listen carefully below you will see and hear their displeasure.....lots of foot stomping, hissing/hacking at me and while it looks like I am close, when I pull the zoom in you can see I am quite a distance from them. I had already filled their bowls with corn while they impatiently waited behind the trees and ferns. Deer are not nice to each other when it comes to....well, pretty much anything. Watch as one doe kicks another one. Steve comes home tonight; he can have his job back.

video

19 comments:

jan said...

How funny, a bunch of little ingrates throwing temper tantrums.

powdergirl said...

It is kind of hard to watch when they're sorting out the pecking order, but thats just the way of nature, right?
The strongest survive and produce ever stronger off-spring.
I love animals for their honesty.
At least they(cats excluded) only really kill to eat.

I was raised on farm, so I guess I'm fairly pragmatic about prey-animals.

And those animals sure are pretty and graceful : )

utenzi said...

Deer are pretty in a kinda dumb looking way. Maybe if they had bigger heads they'd look smarter... and if they were smarter maybe they'd avoid moving cars.

kenju said...

Lots of ear-twitching, too. That foot-stomping doe was saying...."Dammit, Rosemary, I've been waiting here for an hour already!!"

Mine twitched their ears at me this morning when I started talking to them. They were only 10-15 feet from the fence.

Do you buy the dried corn to feed them? I'm dumb about such things.

Mom said...

This city girl is just in awe of the wild life you see on a daily basis.

Jennie said...

That foot stamping is hilarious. Just who do they think they are? Very cool scene.

Barb said...

Wow, I have never seen stomping deer and I have seen a lot of them. How funny!

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

bambi's mother and aunts r bitches?...who woulda thunk it

cs said...

the Twinkies were in mad pursuit this morning when I let them out the door at 4:45 am. Bambi and her bambette were mildy irritated to say the least--have a grand weekend Ro
hugs

sageweb said...

That is really cute..they are ticked off..

Sling said...

Gee..Who knew you'd need a whip and a chair just to feed the deer?

Dropsy&Puddle said...

You'd think they'd just be grateful for the free meal. Stupid deer.

Cazzie!!! said...

The are so so cute! My girls loved this footage, thankyou for sharing.

Miss Healthypants said...

I didn't know you fed the wild deer in your yard! How cool is that?! *smiles*

Shammickite said...

How neat to have deer in your back yard every morning! I just have naughty squirrels. And sometines a skunk. And an enormous criminal grandfather raccon who broke my birdbath last week, and he refuses to pay for a new one.

Middle Child said...

Maybe they should not bite the hand that feeds them...they are lovely to look at

Random Thinker said...

I love the foot stomping and I never knew deer could hiss. How lucky you are to have these beauties right outside your door.

more cowbell said...

You lost me at 6:45 being considered "sleeping in".

What the hell ...

madretz said...

that foot stomping is a crack up! feisty girls, aren't they?!?