There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I hope these aren't the doggie days of summer.....

It has been a lovely summer this year. It hasn't been too miserably hot and I haven't had to crawl under the bed to be cool for a minute or two....I also haven't had to keep a wet towel around my neck...something my kids always hated to look at.

We actually have had some small success with gardening....and I mean small in the literal sense. We have played in the dirt, Steve has used his big auger on the tractor numerous times to make holes for trees and even the weeds thrived this year with out any help from us.

All is green and alive in the Selle Valley. Umm, except for that dead transplanted little tree there in the foreground.

Lookie here....a cute little green delicious apple.
Peaches; lots of rosy peaches.

My sunflowers are growing and growing and as of this morning they are almost ready to bloom. The windows are 6 1/2 feet tall so I figure the sunflowers are close to 7 feet.

Onions that Steve puts in salads and mixes in with his scrambled eggs.....they are yummy.
Only one sad little tomato....and it has a scar at that. We failed tomato 101.

Potato plants!!!!! And lots of weeds. I don't like weeding....almost as much as I don't like mowing the lawn.

Oh my goodness....look at the potatoes Steve dug up.

We created a hybrid potato...call it the Ken and Barbie potato. Let's get this in proper perspective. Golly gee...think of all of the possibilities...scalloped potatoes, soup potatoes, boiled for potato salad, let's fry 'em up...they were good. They made less than one decent serving.
This gardening season is coming to a close because this was the temp this morning at 6 AM....yup, that reads 38. We are starting to have those large temperature swings......80 during the day and really cool at night. I hear those dogs barking at the end of summer. Or maybe it's a squirrel barking.

11 comments:

Mom said...

You may not need help to eat that little crop, but if you do I could eat some of those peaches.
I just love squirrels, I don't know why.

rosemary said...

I love the little darlings too.....they provide non stop entertainment, are industrious and are my friends. For the first few years we were here full time I thought it was the same squirrel I saw over and over.....then they all decided this was home and we have probably a dozen running all over the place at any given time.

jan said...

This is the first year ever that I haven't had a bumper crop of tomatoes. The Tomato Gods must be angry.

sageweb said...

Our summer is just starting here in Socal..it has been below average all month and the last few days have hit a bit above average..strange summer..but I like it ..I was never too hot.

utenzi said...

Your growing season gets a later start than mine (in NC) but with all that rain you've more than caught up. Even my grass won't grow this summer.

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

my garden was good and bad at the same time..heat killed the 'maters but my lettuce and okra were abundant..going to plant some squash and egg plant and see how that goes..
going to give a lot of my pots to jenny when she moves into her new house...after 3 years of gradening im getting burnt out...

kenju said...

Slice that green tomato and roll it in cornmeal and fry it. You'll be in Heaven eating it!!

Sling said...

Our peaches are coming along fine,and the grapes were awesome!
We only got about six blackberries though.
I don't know why.
That's one tough squirrel you got there!

FoxyMoron said...

I have a budgie who barks like a dog.

I'll bring him when I come and live with you, I LOVE your place!

Miss Healthypants said...

OMG, you have a peach tree?? You lucky bums! I loves me a good peach!! *smiles*

Middle Child said...

Wow your own spuds. Anything home-grown is wonderful and who cares that the tomato has a scar...the ones in the supermarket are so cloned and perfect but they taste like water and cardboard....Our days are warming up lately...its still winter here just and we are in T shirts (and other clothes as well)