There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Sunday, October 04, 2009

92

My mother would have been 92 today. I don't think she would have liked that number one bit. My mom never wanted to be referred to as a senior citizen, never used that senior discount, refused to join AARP with my dad and would not talk about aging period.

My mother and I were not close until the last few years of her life. It was during those years that she told me about her childhood and young adult years and how she met my dad. To this day I only know that they were married in February; couldn't tell you the day or year however.

I never thought she was brave until the day she died. I was at her hospital bedside when she passed away. She died with dignity, had made the decision to not go back on a respirator and said her goodbye to me with the words I had waited all of my life to hear....I love you, rosebud.

I wish we had been closer. I wish I had just a few minutes more with my mom because we left a lot of baggage sitting at her bedside. I can't honestly say I miss her the way I miss my dad, but I loved her and hold the good memories in my heart.

Her name was Geraldine Mary Bordonaro......my Mom.





13 comments:

jan said...

A beautiful tribute. I think she may have paved the way for you to be a more loving mother maybe.

powdergirl said...

Your Mom is very beautiful!


It would be nice if you could go a back in time a little and find out what made your Mom tick. My Mom's a talker, I think I know everything she's ever thought or done, it makes some of my own 'stuff' make sense to have that knowledge of where and who I came from.

ps. My best friends nick-name for me is Rosebud : )

rosemary said...

jan: maybe...but only maybe.

powdergirl: My dad gave me that nickname. He said my mouth looked like a rosebud when I was a baby. Neither one of my parent's were talkers....odd, because they were both very, very close to their parents and siblings. You'd think they would have shared that familial closeness and their childhood memories.

Sling said...

There's an old-time saying that people live on,as long as someone is alive to remember them.
I like that,and make it a point to think about my parents and grandparents from time to time,just in case.
Happy Birthday Rosemary's mom.

Random Thinker said...

How touching and how wonderful that you were there with her to hear those sweet words from her.

kenju said...

Lovely. I see a resemblance, I think. I loved my mom too, but we also had a lot of baggage and it got worse as she got older. I don't miss her the same way I miss my dad either. What I miss is what we could have had.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

My mom was a very private person too. She was very affectionate, but just a lady of few words. I'm glad you were able to make peace with your mom before she passed and will always know how much she loved you.

Jennie said...

That was a lovely post and it gave me hope somehow.

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

that mother daughter relationship is difficult..at least you were with her at the end and heard the magic words...but look at you...the best mother around...

Cazzie!!! said...

Wonderful memories :)

madretz said...

This is why we connected so easily Rosemary. I had that same relationship with my mom. But I was too young and she was too set in her ways when she died for me to get close to her. But I loved her and she me. Regardless and despite those baggages, they raised 2 amazing women, don't you think?
>>hugs<<

Chris said...

I love the honesty of your post! A very nice tribute. Your mom was beautiful and I love the older picture of her, beautiful.

Miss Healthypants said...

Very nice, Rosemary. :)